+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Data Interoperability extension and importing mapinfo files in ArcGIS

Anastasiya Gancheva
    Answers Provided

Default Data Interoperability extension and importing mapinfo files in ArcGIS

Hi,
    in ArcGIS 9x I was using ArcView 8x conversion tools to convert Mapinfo files into shapefiles. It seems that this tool is missing in ArcGIS 10. Is the Data Interoperability extension the only way to convert Mapinfo files and is it available in the ArcView package?

thank you in advance for your cooperation
    Anastasiya

Nicholas Tripcevich
    Answers Provided

Default Re: Data Interoperability extension and importing mapinfo files in ArcGIS

I have the same question. I see v10 of this extension for sale here as part# 98131
    http://store.esri.com/esri/showdetl....ategory_ID=121

but it's not listed as a possible download at customers.esri.com

Thanks

Bruce Harold

Answers Provided

Default Re: Data Interoperability extension and importing mapinfo files in ArcGIS

Hi

The 8.x tools are not shipped in ArcGIS 10, so the mif2shape.exe wrapper to do this conversion is not in 10. The Data Interoperability extension is the correct ArcGIS product for conversion of 3rd party formats, although you may find other products capable of converting MIF data.

Regards
    Bruce H.
    ESRI Redlands

Christopher Lott
    Answers Provided

Please advise what DVD or feature or whatever we must request to gain access to this feature. I was just given a Mapinfo file and would like to work with it. I guess as a workaround I'll have to go back to the company and ask for a different format, but that sure doesn't make us look very capable.

Nelson De Miranda
    Answers Provided

Hey Chris,

If you currently own ArcGIS 10, it should be on the Desktop Installation Disk. Underneath the option to install ArcGIS Desktop, you should see an option to install the Data Interop. Extention. Keep in mind, you will need a key to activate the extention.

Cheers,

Nelson

Kari Idland
    Answers Provided

Thumbs up Re: Data Interoperability extension and importing mapinfo files in ArcGIS

Thank you for your very helful post! I'm fairly new to ArcGIS and was very frustrated this morning trying to get this extension to work.

Karl Keough
    Answers Provided

I have just activated the trial version of Data Interoperability Extension and have tried to view / import MapInfo .tab and .mif files. Neither seems to work. ArcGIS appears to read the mif file as some sort of raster. Any idea what might be going on?

Thanks,

Karl Keough

Tyler Bragg
    Answers Provided

Mapinfo files do not play well with others. Our organization uses both MapInfo and ArcGIS, and we always do our conversions in MapInfo to "translate" them to shapefile. I've never found anything in ArcGIS 10 that will convert them. If you don't have MapInfo...then I guess this is not an option. You'll probably have to go to some third party converters, or have the originator of the data convert it to shapefile. They should probably be doing this anyway if they are distributing the data, given the wide range of ArcGIS users (and the wide range of GIS software that reads shapefiles) compared to the much smaller range of MapInfo users. This would be the most effective and problem-free way of doing it.

Bruce Harold

Answers Provided

Karl

Please make sure you have enabled the Data Interoperability extension, then browse in the Catalog tree to your TAB or MIF files. They will appear as a feature dataset icon; open it up and you will see a list of possible data in the files. Some or most of the options will have no features, but at least one will.

MIF data being recognized as a raster data type is a known issue in Catalog.

Regards
    Bruce H.
    ESRI Redlands

Grazi Z
    Answers Provided

Question Re: Data Interoperability extension and importing mapinfo files in ArcGIS

Hi!

I'm starting using the ArcGis 9 and I'm trying to import a MIF file to Arcgis by "ArcView 8X Tools", but when I try to open the MIF file, one message appears: "Invalid entry. Space are not permitted in the path name." What should I do to the import the MIF file?

Thank you!

Grazi

Grazi Z
    Answers Provided

Question Re: Data Interoperability extension and importing mapinfo files in ArcGIS

Hi!

I'm trying to register "Data Interoperability extension", but when I open "Arcgis Desktop Administrator", the window " Register ArcView and Extensions" does not appear. What can I do to register this extension?

Thank you, again!

Denise King

Answers Provided

Grazi,

What version of ArcGIS Desktop are you using? Do you have 'Desktop' highlighted in ArcGIS Administrator window?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ArcGISAdministrat&.jpg
Views:	462
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	9656

Denise
    Denise King
    Apps/Mobile Development Technical Lead
    User Advocacy Group, Esri Support Services

Grazi Z
    Answers Provided

Denise,

My Desktop version is 9. It doesn't appear exactly the way you're showing (there isn't a layer labeled "Desktop", it is written just in the top of the window, like this: "ArcGIS Desktop (name of my computer)", and the layers that appear are "Software Product", "License Manager" and "Availability").

I realised that I don't have the Data Interoperability extension. Can I still import a MIF file to ArcGis?

Thank you!

Denise King

Answers Provided

Smile Re: Data Interoperability extension and importing mapinfo files in ArcGIS

Grazi,

Instructions provided in KB document linked below includes steps for importing an MapInfo interchange file (.MIF) using ArcGIS 9.x. http://support.esri.com/en/knowledge...s/detail/26823

You can check the license availability of ArcGIS extensions in ArcGIS 9.3 using the Desktop Administrator. Here is a link to this Help topic, http://webhelp.esri.com/arcgisdeskto...e_availability.

You can also evaluate ArcGIS Extensions including ArcGIS Data Interoperability by requesting 60-day trial via this URL, http://www.esri.com/software/arcgis/...xtensions.html. You can then use this Help topic to register the ArcGIS Data Interoperability extension, http://webhelp.esri.com/arcgisdeskto...and_extensions.

Happy GIS Day!
    Denise
    Denise King

Anastasiya Gancheva
    Answers Provided

Grazi, regarding the error message "spaces are not permitted....". that is quite annoying. you need to take out all spaces in the file names, I can't remember whether spaces were not allowed in the folder names as well.
    Anastasiya Gancheva
    Melrose Resources
    siya.gancheva@melroseresources.com
    a_gancheva@hotmail.com

Grazi Z
    Answers Provided

Denise and Anastasiya, thanks for the answers!

I tried to import a MIF file by the ArcView 8x tools, but when I browse the file, the mensager "Spaces are not permitted in the path name" appears, but there isn't any space in the file name...

So, I downloaded the ArcGis trial version with the Data Interoperability extension and I tried to import a MIF file by the 'quick import' item. I've registered and enabled this extension, but, I imported a MIF file and it doesn't appear in my screen. What should I do?

Thanks!

Grazi

Bruce Harold

Answers Provided

Hi Grazi

Quick Import creates a file geodatabase for the imported data, so it will not be added to your map, but you can navigate to the result workspace and look for it.

Regards
    Bruce H.
    ESRI Redlands

Denise King

Answers Provided

Grazi,

There cannot be spaces in the path either, not just the filename, with the ArcView 8x Tools.

Denise
    Denise King

Grazi Z
    Answers Provided

Hi!

I deleted all the spaces, but the message continuos appearing... I think it is with some problem.

And the Data Interoperability is not working too: I go to the folder where the quick import was saved by ArcGis and there are a lot of other kinds of files in this folder, but not the one I should drag to ArcMap, althought when the import finishes a message appears with a green "v".. Do you know what could be the problem with the quick import?

Thankyou again!

Grazi

+ Reply to Thread