+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Create a file geodatabase using arcgis 10 that can be accessed by arcgis 9.x

James Samek
    Answers Provided

Default Create a file geodatabase using arcgis 10 that can be accessed by arcgis 9.x

When creating a new File Geodatabase in ArcGIS 10, any users who still have ArcGIS 9.x cannot access the GDB. Is there any way to create an accessible GDB from 10 for 9.x users?

Simon Morgan
    Answers Provided

Smile Re: Create a file geodatabase using arcgis 10 that can be accessed by arcgis 9.x

Quote Originally Posted by jsamek View Post
    When creating a new File Geodatabase in ArcGIS 10, any users who still have ArcGIS 9.x cannot access the GDB. Is there any way to create an accessible GDB from 10 for 9.x users?
    I found a not so elegant way to do this:
    1. Add all the FCs in your FGDB to ArcMap
    2. Group them
    3. Right click the group name and add a description
    4. Create a layer field referencing the group (the above steps are one time unless you add a new FC)
    5. In ArcToolBox, run the package layer tool, at the bottom of the dialog box is the option to have the output be an FGDB and further down you can set what version the output should be, I usually check V10 and V931, one the tool runs you will have a .lpk file.
    6. Run the extract package tool
    7. It will create two folders in the output location, one containing a 9.3.1 FGDB and one containing a V10 FGDB

Once you have the layer file create, you can use model builder to do the rest if you need to repeat it. That what I did, I built a model, exported to Python and have it scheduled to run ocne a week for my users who need to remain at V9.3.1. Let me know if you have any questions.

Hope this helps!!

Simon Morgan
    Answers Provided

Default Re: Create a file geodatabase using arcgis 10 that can be accessed by arcgis 9.x

Quote Originally Posted by smorgan_trpd View Post
    I found a not so elegant way to do this:
    1. Add all the FCs in your FGDB to ArcMap
    2. Group them
    3. Right click the group name and add a description
    4. Create a layer field referencing the group (the above steps are one time unless you add a new FC)
    5. In ArcToolBox, run the package layer tool, at the bottom of the dialog box is the option to have the output be an FGDB and further down you can set what version the output should be, I usually check V10 and V931, one the tool runs you will have a .lpk file.
    6. Run the extract package tool
    7. It will create two folders in the output location, one containing a 9.3.1 FGDB and one containing a V10 FGDB

Once you have the layer file create, you can use model builder to do the rest if you need to repeat it. That what I did, I built a model, exported to Python and have it scheduled to run ocne a week for my users who need to remain at V9.3.1. Let me know if you have any questions.

Hope this helps!!
    For got to mention that this will only work with 9.3.1, not 9.3 or earlier.

Alan Hatakeyama
    Answers Provided

Default Re: Create a file geodatabase using arcgis 10 that can be accessed by arcgis 9.x

Hi James,

Quote Originally Posted by jsamek View Post
    You can use the Create File GDB geoprocessing tool found in the Data Management Tools toolbox, Workspace toolset. This tool allows you to specify which version of a File Geodatabase you want to create.

Alan

+ Reply to Thread