+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Setting permission on feature dataset with sdelayer don't work

Ernst Meier
    Answers Provided

Default Setting permission on feature dataset with sdelayer don't work

I want to set permissions on a feature dataset but this results in an error message:
    Error: Layer not found (-20).

This is may command:

Code:
    sdelayer -o grant -l FDS,SHAPE -U FDS_EDIT -A SELECT,UPDATE,INSERT,DELETE -i 5153 -s SERVER -u ADMIN -p xxxxxx
    Setting the permission with ArcCatalog works very well but i want to create a batch to rebuild all my permissions.

Vince Angelo

Answers Provided

Default Re: Setting permission on feature dataset with sdelayer don't work

None of the ArcSDE command-line utilities will access any of the geodatabase extensions
    like domains or feature datasets (implemented outside the ken of ArcSDE). You can use
    Python to script geodatabase management via ArcGIS (more so at 10.0 than with earlier
    releases), or manage the indiviual dataset member tables via 'sdetable -o grant'.

- V

Ernst Meier
    Answers Provided

Thank you.

Can you please post an example how to set a permission with a python-script?
    We use Arcgis Server 9.3.1

What the difference between setting a permission with

sdelayer -o grant -l featureclass,SHAPE -U FC_EDIT -A SELECT,UPDATE,INSERT,DELETE -i 5153 -s SERVER -u ADMIN -p xxxxxx

or

sdetable -o grant -t -featureclass -U FC_EDIT -A SELECT,UPDATE,INSERT,DELETE -i 5153 -s SERVER -u ADMIN -p xxxxxx

Vince Angelo

Answers Provided

In theory, there is no difference between using 'sdetable' and 'sdelayer'. I use 'sdetable'
    because it is the proper context (permissions are a property of a table), and because I
    don't need to know the geometry column name, and because it's less typing. It is possible
    that using 'sdelayer' could, by design, fail to set raster support table permissions if both
    SE_SHAPE and SE_RASTER columns existed in a table (I would hope it wouldn't, but I only
    use 'sdetable', so I wouldn't know). 'sdelayer -o grant' should have been deprecated
    at 8.1 and eliminated by 9.0, but doing so would have broken a lot of scripts.

- V

Ernst Meier
    Answers Provided

Thank you very much for your detailed answer.
    If there is no difference i will use sdetable in future because it supports feature classes and feature datasets.

Vince Angelo

Answers Provided

'sdetable' only supports tables, not feature classes or feature datasets. It just so happens
    that feature classes are modeled as tables, so 'sdetable' can be used on feature class names,
    but feature datasets are not modeled as tables, so you can't refer to them at all with 'sdetable'.

If you fail to grant the same permissions for all the tables comprising a feature dataset, ArcGIS
    will only acknowledge the minimum permission held in common (logical AND), even if that means
    no permission at all. All in all, you'd be better off using Python (if it has the requisite hooks at
    9.3.1, which it likely does; I just don't use ArcGIS all that much).

- V

Russell Brennan
    Answers Provided

Hi Gismoe,

This python script should work to set the permissions appropriately. Just swap out the path to your server connection info, FDS name and username.

Code:
    # Purpose: Change user privileges on a dataset

# Create the Geoprocessor object
    import arcgisscripting
    gp = arcgisscripting.create(9.3)

try:
        # Set the name of the feature dataset, feature class, or table to change privileges on.
        objName = 'ADMIN.FDS'
        # Set the name of the user or role to grant privileges to.
        username= 'FC_EDIT'

# Process: Update user privileges
        gp.ChangePrivileges("Database Connections/Connection to Server.sde/" + objName, username, "GRANT", "GRANT")

except:
        # If an error occurred while running a tool, print the messages
        print gp.GetMessages()
    Hope this helps,
    Russell
    Last edited by russellb; 10-22-2010 at 10:43 AM.
    Russell
    esri

+ Reply to Thread