+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Angle Measure Tool in Version 10

Thomas Whitley
    Answers Provided

Default Angle Measure Tool in Version 10

What happened to the Angle Measure Tool in ArcGIS version 10? I can't find it anywhere.

Alexey Tereshenkov

Answers Provided

Default Re: Angle Measure Tool in Version 10

Hey

What tool are you talking about? What was the name of the tool in the ArcGIS 9.3 and where have you accessed that?
    Please use the new "Mark as Answer" and "Rate Post" buttons to the right hand side of the posts.
    • You help others searching this forum to find the answer directly.
    • You give credit to the folks who answer your questions.
    • You help to track unanswered questions.

Thomas Whitley
    Answers Provided

It was a tool I loaded onto a toolbar from the customize-commands option as far back as version 8.2, but I don't recall which library it came from. I thought it came from somewhere in the utilities folder. Now that I installed version 10, I can't find it anywhere. I don't believe it came from an Arcscript extension - and I couldn't find it when I searched the Arcscripts archives (only unrelated things). It was a tool that allowed me to click a point and drag a line in any direction and get a measure of what that angle was. It even had its own icon similar to the measure distance tool icon - with a ruler and a portion of a protractor above it. I have also searched under "bearing" and "azimuth" but come up empty. Is there any similar tool that gives me the same information? Right now, I draw a line in the direction I want to measure and then rotate the data frame until that line runs due north, then I can read the data frame rotation angle. But that seems a little excessive.

John Sobetzer

Answers Provided

There is an Arcscript called Measure Distance and Angle Tool. It was designed for 8x and updated for 9x. I just tried adding it to my test 10 and it seemed to work as always. It is on an XP machine, however. It is a simple Add from file dll. But if you are using Vista or 7 this approach can run into problems since there is no simple way to do the Add from File approach as an administrator. So I'd suggest turning off the UAC, then adding all the files you need through the Add from File customization process , then turning the UAC back on for security when using these versions of Windows.

Thomas Whitley
    Answers Provided

Thanks, I'll try that. I'm running Windows 7 now, so the UAC issue also explains another question I had - about why I couldn't get it to add a command from file.

Thomas Whitley
    Answers Provided

That worked. I guess it was an Arcscript extension after all. You would think this would be a built-in tool though.

+ Reply to Thread