+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Can ArcMap 9.3.1 consume ArcGIS Server 10 map services / map service version numbers?

dana n
    Answers Provided

Default Can ArcMap 9.3.1 consume ArcGIS Server 10 map services / map service version numbers?

Can ArcMap 9.3.1 consume ArcGIS Server 10 map services? I've recently been told ArcGIS Explorer 1500 is likely the only Esri product that can consume both AGS 9.3.1 and 10 map services. But I'm thinking that statement may only be true concerning ArcSDE geodatabases.

If ArcMap 9.3.1 can't consume ArcGIS Server 10 map services, then this would be a good argument for map services to be published with a version number. I've noticed Image Server provides a metadata item for a two-place image service version number. I don't see the same thing for a 9.3.1 map service. There is a Description field but no map service version number field.
    Last edited by dananrg; 11-03-2010 at 06:36 AM.

dana n
    Answers Provided

Default Re: Can ArcMap 9.3.1 consume ArcGIS Server 10 map services / map service version numb

Below is an idea you can vote on if you'd like to see map services have the ability to be published with a version number:

https://c.na1.visual.force.com/apex/...00000008H7eAAE

Andrew Stauffer

Answers Provided

Default Re: Can ArcMap 9.3.1 consume ArcGIS Server 10 map services / map service version numb

Hi Dana,

You should be able to consume Map Services from ArcGIS Server 10 in ArcMap 9.3.1 as a client, but you cannot create an Administrative connection to the GIS Server. New functions in 10 Services will not be available in 9.3.1 clients.

To test this you could use the following URL in an Add GIS Server, Use connection.
    http://sampleserver3.arcgisonline.com/ArcGIS/services

Once connected you should see the services, and be able to preview them. Sampleserver3 is running ArcGIS Server 10.

Hope that helps,
    Andrew

dana n
    Answers Provided

Perfect. Thanks Andrew. I've confirmed that my ArcMap 9.3.1 client can consume AGS 10 services.

Dan Downing
    Answers Provided

Andrew,

I have services running in ArcGIS server 10 that will not draw in Arcmap 9.3.1, they do however draw in Arcmap 10. I am connecting as a user, not administrator in both cases. I tried your sample server and those services do draw fine for me in 9.3.1

I am running:
    ArcGIS Server 10 - GIS Services
    ArcGIS Server for the Microsoft .NET Framework 10 - GIS Services Service Pack 1

The 9.3.1 box is running:
    ArcGIS Desktop 9.3.1 Service Pack 2

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by astauffer View Post
    Hi Dana,

You should be able to consume Map Services from ArcGIS Server 10 in ArcMap 9.3.1 as a client, but you cannot create an Administrative connection to the GIS Server. New functions in 10 Services will not be available in 9.3.1 clients.

To test this you could use the following URL in an Add GIS Server, Use connection.
    http://sampleserver3.arcgisonline.com/ArcGIS/services

Once connected you should see the services, and be able to preview them. Sampleserver3 is running ArcGIS Server 10.

Hope that helps,
    Andrew

+ Reply to Thread