+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Can't see map in Layout View

Stewart Whitney
    Answers Provided

Default Can't see map in Layout View

I was building a map and adding a legend in Layout View when I clicked on the Preview button to see the legend set up. The map went blank and I can not get it back. When I switch to Data view it's there but not in Layout view. I've tried to open other maps up in Layout View and those too are not visible. I'm assuming I clicked on something but can't find what it is to make my maps appear in Layout View

Joshua Damron
    Answers Provided

Default Re: Can't see map in Layout View

You may have toggled "Draft Mode". If you did, it turns the data frame grey in the layout view. However, toggling the Draft Mode setting shouldn't carry over between different .mxd's.

You can toggle draft mode when you are in Layout view either via the Layout tool bar or by right clicking and selecting "Toggle Draft Mode".

For more info:
    http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesk...01q3000000.htm
    Last edited by HealdsburgCA; 11-08-2010 at 08:37 AM.
    Joshua Damron
    City of Healdsburg
    Department of Public Works
    www.ci.healdsburg.ca.us/

Arc/Info 10.2
    Small Government ELA
    Windows XP Pro x64

Help people like me find answers! If your question was answered don't forget to click the mark as answer check at the right hand side of the post.

Mark Yacucci
    Answers Provided

By any chance do you have layer transparencies set on some raster data? I am experiencing something similar. Basically, if a layer has even a transparency of 1%, it dissappears in layout mode. THis was never an isse in 9.3 so I'm wondering what changed.

Mark

Stewart Whitney
    Answers Provided

I couldn't figure it out so I closed the map, then ArcGIS and came back the next day and have had no issues since. I'll chalk it up to inexperience.

SW

Lisa French
    Answers Provided

Angry Re: Can't see map in Layout View

I can see my map in data view, but not in layout view. I am not in toggle draft mode, and have done nothing with transparencies. I can see other maps that I open in layout view, just not the one I need right now! I can't figure it out.

Dana Robinson
    Answers Provided

I'm with Frenchy1251. I have a map with data driven pages and added a couple of layers (not fc, rather the layers that point to data in gdbs). Now nothing displays in lay out view. No borders, data, legend. nothing but a white screen. Anyone know what the bug might be?

Dana Robinson
    Answers Provided

In addition to my previous comment, I have turned ArcMap off and back on, copied the map to a new version from ArcMap, and turned computer off and back on before turning arcMap on and opening map doc. No luck.

Guess I will start the map over from a previous version.

boone jardot
    Answers Provided

Yeah this is a problem I can tell by the other comments here. I must state, IT IS NOT that the data disappears, it is just so small you cant see it, it is generally placed at the bottom a little left of center, you can highlight it by clicking a blank spot and dragging over the area, then you can resize it. Every time I start a new map, I cannot view it in layout view. If I import a map already made, IE a map exercise from my college level class or from the esri training, It will show in layout with no problems. If I start a new map it will have this problem.

Of the method of clicking and dragging to highlight the map, not all the data will show. Generally only a shapefile will show. If I have point data, it will not be represented on the map. HELP!!

If I go into the layout toolbar and "change layout" to a blank map, it will crash even if there is not data loaded into the map. This is a problem which I am not very satisfied with experiencing. Please help.

boone jardot
    Answers Provided

Unhappy Re: Can't see map in Layout View

I can get my Texas counties to show, however the point data from two layers from different sources will not show. They are all projected properly in the same coordinate system. Please help still a problem.

Roger Brett
    Answers Provided

Yes I am experiencing the same issues with the layout view. Data does not display.

Rog

boone jardot
    Answers Provided

Red face Re: Can't see map in Layout View

Hey Rog!
    Yes, This is a problem I have experienced aswell and still experience today. However, I have found a way to bypass it. If you open a map (.mxd) that has already been created by someone else, then delete all the layers in the file, you can then save the map as a generic map document. For some reason, the student version I have will not allow me to create a map, but using this method I can bypass this. Just open up the blank generic MXD and immediately do a "save as" what ever the file name should be. Then you can work without having to worry about the layout view not showing. Works flawlessly. Just be sure change the dataframe properties with regards to the projection. Hope this helps. If you need a blank map, just do a free module offered by ESRI and swipe a map from their data.
    -Boone Jardot

p.s. I have worked with ESRI tech support on this and they seem to think there is nothing wrong. They told me I have a corrupt MXD, which is hard to believe since this happens every time I start a blank map from scratch.

boone jardot
    Answers Provided

One last thing, In addition to my above comment^^. I forgot to mention an even more basic and easier way. When you start a new map, before you enter any data, instead of selecting "blank map", be sure and choose a layout template. This is actually the cause of this problem. If this does not work, for sure my above comment will. I hope someone finds this post useful. Good luck-Boone Jardot

+ Reply to Thread