+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ArcGIS Desktop 10 Setup Problems- Internal Error 2908

Sunil K. Puthan
    Answers Provided

Unhappy ArcGIS Desktop 10 Setup Problems- Internal Error 2908

Hey guys,

I have tried to install ArcGIS Desktop 10 4 times already and each time I get a message saying the following "Internal Error 2908 {BA27C623-84E5-47F2-97B4-EC5476DE143A}" during installation (after the new registry values are added, components, etc). I click ok on the box and then I get a textbox with the following: "Error 1935. An error occured during the installation of assembly 'ESRI.ArcGIS.ArcMap, Version="10.0.0.0",RuntimeVersion=v2.0.50727",processorArchitecture="X86",PublicKeyToken="8f3cc631e44ad86",Culture="neutral",GUID="aa603763-259a-11d3-9f-4a-00c04f6bc261",FileVersion="10.0.0.2414". Please refer to Help and Support for more information."

After that it rollsback. I m a noob at this so please help me. What do I need to do? In case the above is not clear enough I have attached a screenshot in a word document to show this issue.

Thanks
    Attached Files

V Stuart Foote

Answers Provided

Default Re: ArcGIS Desktop 10 Setup Problems- Internal Error 2908

Sunil,

The error your attached document shows is the 1935 error. As you look to be on Windows 7 might I suggest you make the registry adjustment suggested in this forum post and then try one more install attempt.
    Post back if you still have problems.

Stuart

If a post is helpful, or answers your question, or simply annoys you because it is WRONG please use the voting tools on the right side to help identify quality content on the Forum.

Systems Analyst - Geological Sciences
    The University of Texas at San Antonio
    Classroom & Research support
    Adobe, AutoDesk, ESRI, ERDAS, ESI, Exelis Visual, IHS, Mathworks, Oracle, SAS Inst, Schlumberger, Seismic Micro-Technology, Trimble, Wolfram

Sunil K. Puthan
    Answers Provided

Hey Stuart,

Thank you so much for your help. I actually looked into the registry and read info on the link before hand. The registry values were all correct. From the post, it mentioned that VS2005 w/ SP1 would be needed. Realizing VS2005 is archaic by now, I then looked for Visual Studio 2008 Express Edition with Service Pack 1 to see if it were on my computer. It wasn't. I tried installing it and guess what happened? As it was going through the installation process, I got a very similar Error 1935 . I was wondering, man how did this happen? Then it hit me. Usually for VS2008 to run you need to have many Windows updates. Frustrated with the many times my computer was updating about a month ago, I turned off the "update automatically" on my windows update. I went to it this afternoon and found 52 windows updates waiting for me. I installed them on and sure enough Visual Studio 2008 Express installed on. I knew after I had that, ArcGIS should install. I then installed ArcGIS and it installed perfectly. The program is installed but now I am having another problem. As you know, to authorize the ArcGIS 10 desktop Education edition you need to authorize it. I went to the ArcGIS Administrator and clicked on the Authorization wizard button. I didn't add any extensions, but got the following error textbox message "7174: Authorization request for (license number) cannot be completed. Please contact ESRI customer service or your local ESRI distributor. [6176-23175373] ". Now, I do realize this is a concern that Customer support is to address but I was wondering if you have faced a similar situation and if you had any advice. I have already e-mail customer support (since I don't have a customer number account) as I am a student using the education edition and I am awaiting a response. Again, thank you so much for your help.

-Sunil

V Stuart Foote

Answers Provided

Sunil,

Glad you've gotten that far by re-enabling and applying the Microsoft updates and completing the install--we'll add that to the list of potential problems during install.

As to the ArcGIS 10 Education Edition authorization Error 7174 the ESRI customer service/tech support folks should be able to help you with that. Not a specific error I've seen.

By any chance had the registration number been used installing on another system? I believe the Education edition 1-yr registration numbers are "throw aways", one successful activation exchange on a different system with Redlands and no more. If so, unfortunately you might have to obtain a new ArcGIS 10 Education Edition media set from your school. You would not need to reinstall, just use the enclosed registration number to complete the authorization exchange.

Please post back your outcome.

Stuart
    Last edited by todd5465; 11-15-2010 at 10:38 AM. Reason: spelling

If a post is helpful, or answers your question, or simply annoys you because it is WRONG please use the voting tools on the right side to help identify quality content on the Forum.

Adobe, AutoDesk, ESRI, ERDAS, ESI, Exelis Visual, IHS, Mathworks, Oracle, SAS Inst, Schlumberger, Seismic Micro-Technology, Trimble, Wolfram

Sunil K. Puthan
    Answers Provided

Hello Stuart,

Yeah, I was frustrated when I saw the 7174 error. I honeslty thought it could be another assembly related error, but as you mentioned its not a common error. The textbox mentioned the following "contact technical support". I called ESRI Customer Support and was told that I would have to activate the Education edition online on the esri.com/educationedition before I can activate it from the ArcGIS Administrator window. I did exactly that and it worked flawlessly. As a result, I am now able to run ArcMap. I was told by the Technical support lady that it was a required step that you have to go online and authorize and then go back into ArcGIS Administrator and authorize the registration number again (to make sure Redlands has my information twice perhaps?). Luckily, I was given a brand new non-tampered ArcGIS 10 Desktop Education edition so there were no further difficulties of obtaining it again. Thank you so much for your help. Your advice has been very helpful and I know it will help me someday when I install a newer version of ArcGIS.

-Sunil
    Last edited by sun_85; 11-11-2010 at 11:55 AM.

V Stuart Foote

Answers Provided

Sunil,

Glad to help.

And thank you for posting back to remind me about needing to register first with ESRI using the Authorization number. I'd forgotten that step was added to the ArcGIS 10 Education edition media in advance of authorization/activation.

Stuart

Answers Provided

Default Error 2908

Hello,

I read your post and really you have done a great job this is the best way to fix error 2908 but i have something to recommend you to same fixing of these type of errors someone recommend me to visit http://www.error2908.org this site when i visit this it attract me and i get all that fixing tools which i want to find from this site its really good for my PC i hope you also check this and get good benefit.

Thanks

Anne-Sophie Rausch
    Answers Provided

Default Arc Gis Installation ERROR 1935

Hi,

I have a Student Licence for Arc GIS 10.0, and i coudn't manage the installation because an Error:
    1935 Microsoft VC 90 MFCLOC processor/ Architecture=" x86", publickeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b", version = "9.021022.8"

There is a windows 7 Version on my pc,

do you have any ideas or tips?
    Thanks, Anne-Sophie

Amanda Morrison
    Answers Provided

Default Re: Arc Gis Installation ERROR 1935

Were you able to solve your problem...I'm experiencing the same problem, with the same error.

Quote Originally Posted by Anne-Sophie81 View Post
    Hi,

I have a Student Licence for Arc GIS 10.0, and i coudn't manage the installation because an Error:
    1935 Microsoft VC 90 MFCLOC processor/ Architecture=" x86", publickeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b", version = "9.021022.8"

There is a windows 7 Version on my pc,

do you have any ideas or tips?
    Thanks, Anne-Sophie

+ Reply to Thread