+ Reply to Thread

Thread: No arctoolbox tools work - Parallels 6 on Apple hardware

Mark Freid
    Answers Provided

Default No arctoolbox tools work - Parallels 6 on Apple hardware

Hello, I am a GIS student attempting to use ArcGIS and while doing labs, found myself completely unable to use any tools in ArcToolbox. When I try, no matter the tool, the software only opens the help file for that tool, but does not run it.

A screenshot of what I was originally getting can be seen at: http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j1...lipboard04.jpg

I'm using Windows 7 64-bit. Basically, instead of actually running the tool, it opens the html help file. (example: http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j1...lipboard05.jpg)

I was wandering around on the ESRI support site last night, and there were a lot of references to Internet Explorer and Arctoolbox. So I figured it must share some code or something. I use google Chrome as a default browser, so I tried something. I set my default browser to IE, and tried it again.

This time I clicked OK on the window that says "navigation to web page was cancelled" and it gave me the errors:

Map Document: Value is required
    Data Frame: Value is required
    Output File: Value is required
    Map Output Scale: Value is required

So apparently Arctoolbox uses a web browser interface of some sort to run all of its tools. But for some reason I'm not actually getting the form itself (instead I'm getting a page that says "Navigation to the webpage was canceled"... see screenshot: http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j1...lipboard06.jpg

This brings me a bit closer to why the problem is happening, but not how to fix it. I've even reinstalled Java (long shot?). It works fine on my wife's computer (who is taking the class with me) She is running the same operating system.

Things I've tried so far:

1. Deleting the Arctoolbox folder from my windows Appdata\roaming folder
    2. Making sure I have the right authorization from Esri
    3. Doing the process on another computer to verify it's not my files (It's not)
    4. Restarting the software, and my computer.
    5. Repair of the software from Add/Remove programs
    6. Complete uninstall/reinstall of ArcDesktop
    7. The stuff above.

Still no resolution.

Any ideas would be most welcome.
    Thank you,

Mark F.

Mark Freid
    Answers Provided

Default Re: No arctoolbox tools work

bump.

any ideas, folks?

Elizabeth Phillips
    Answers Provided

Hi there -

I can't offer any help, but I just started having the same problem - literally today. Up until yesterday everything was fine. I have no idea what setting changed, but I am getting the same window when I try to use any tool - "Navigation to the webpage was canceled" and then a "File Download" window pops up prompting me to open or save a file titled "MdDlgContent.htm" and MdDlgHelp.htm". I click cancel, but the tools just close and repeat the same thing when I try to open again.

I am using ArcGIS 9.3.1 and can open all of my files just fine, add layers, but just can't use the Toolbox

Hmmm...did you ever find a solution?

Michael Stead
    Answers Provided

There is a comment in the 'Arc10 Runs Really Slow' thread that I would try as you have nothing to lose from the sounds of things. It has to do with renaming registry headings. I have had to do weird manual things to my registry a couple of times since installing 10.

Re-name the ESRI folders:

1. Close all ArcGIS programs
    2. Navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data, and rename the ESRI folder to Old_esri

**Note: To see the Application Data folder you will need to be able to view hidden files and folders. To do this, open Windows Explorer > Tools menu > Folder Options > View tab. Toggle on the option to 'show hidden files and folders'

3. Next, rename the ESRI folder in the Registry. To do this, navigate to Start Run. Type in 'regedit' and press enter. Once in the Registry Editor, navigate to the following directory (look on the left hand panel of the window) HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software. Rename the ESRI folder to OLD_ESRI.
    4. Try opening ArcMap to see if the problem persists.

Second or third time I have seen references to ArcMap using Internet Explorer as a module.... seems like a really odd thing to do to me.

Thanks,
    Mike

V Stuart Foote

Answers Provided

Default Re: No arctoolbox tools work - XSL Stylesheet problem

Mark & Beth,

Mike's suggestion is valid, but it may not be an issue fixable by resetting the ArcGIS configuration of your user account. One way to test would be to launch an ArcToolbox app from ArcMap run from another user account on the system. If it runs OK for the other user, then you could rename your %APPDATA%\ESRI content and delete the HKCU\Software\ESRI registry value as suggested to see if it corrects.

I think though that this is a problem with the default ArcToolbox XSL stylesheets impacting the tools handling of XML. These problems have cropped up periodically in ArcToolbox as Microsoft has released updates to MSXML3, & 4 and made XML changes in IE6, IE7 and now at IE8. And there are some user profile issues that can also cause things to go wrong.

The stylesheets are an important part of how the GUI of each tool is presented. When they go amiss or are misconfigured by some other software change they can disrupt functioning of the tools.

A read of this ArcGIS programming note will give an idea of just how much the style sheet can influence tool appearance and potentially behavior:
    Then, no guarantee, but see if replacing the ArcToolbox MdDlgContent.xsl and MdDlgHelp.xsl stylesheets in C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\ArcToolbox\Stylesheets will clear your issues. Links to download replacment stylesheets for ArcGIS 9.3 or ArcGIS 10 are available from ESRI KB 38099 and could resolve your problems, although they were put up for a different issue. None the less, follow the procedure given to rename and keep the old style sheets, in case it does not help and you need to back out.

Also, you might need to do Microsoft updates. And specifically update your MSXML4.0 to SP3. Obtain it here:Post back results so folks know if it is a viable fix.

Stuart
    Last edited by vsfoote; 12-07-2010 at 09:34 PM.

If a post is helpful, or answers your question, or simply annoys you because it is WRONG please use the voting tools on the right side to help identify quality content on the Forum.

Systems Analyst - Geological Sciences
    The University of Texas at San Antonio
    Classroom & Research support
    Adobe, AutoDesk, ESRI, ERDAS, ESI, Exelis Visual, IHS, Mathworks, Oracle, SAS Inst, Schlumberger, Seismic Micro-Technology, Trimble, Wolfram

Elizabeth Phillips
    Answers Provided

Hi there -

Thanks for the tips...Unfortunately, none of them worked.

I was really hopeful about replacing the stylesheets, but nothing changed once I re-named and tried ArcToolbox again - same message about navigation to webpage canceled...etc. I performed the update for MSXML4.0 and again, no change.

I agree, I think it's something weird with IE and Microsoft updates, but beyond that I have no idea.

Very frustrating - I need to get some analyses done!

Any other ideas?

-beth

V Stuart Foote

Answers Provided

Beth,

OK, again this is annoying. There was a kind of similar problem impacting the ActiveX components of ArcGIS Toolboxes and other ActiveX based Windows GUI components. Again don't think it is the case, but have a read of the thread and see if things are amiss in your HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones registry keys.
    Stuart

If a post is helpful, or answers your question, or simply annoys you because it is WRONG please use the voting tools on the right side to help identify quality content on the Forum.

Adobe, AutoDesk, ESRI, ERDAS, ESI, Exelis Visual, IHS, Mathworks, Oracle, SAS Inst, Schlumberger, Seismic Micro-Technology, Trimble, Wolfram

Elizabeth Phillips
    Answers Provided

Hi Stuart -

I read the other post, checked my settings and there is no pseudonumeric key "L" in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\

...Although the ActiveX issue is similar, that's not the message window I get (I can attach screen shots if that will help). Plus, I am certain my ActiveX controls are set to allow pop-ups (I've had to deal with that in many other cases - IT helped there!)

Other ideas? It just seems like some setting changed with an update for IE, but why why why?

Thanks
    beth

M Stahl
    Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by bethyp View Post
    Hi Stuart -

I read the other post, checked my settings and there is no pseudonumeric key "L" in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\

...Although the ActiveX issue is similar, that's not the message window I get (I can attach screen shots if that will help). Plus, I am certain my ActiveX controls are set to allow pop-ups (I've had to deal with that in many other cases - IT helped there!)

Other ideas? It just seems like some setting changed with an update for IE, but why why why?

Thanks
    beth
    Hello All,

Just this afternoon I began having the exact same issue that you describe here with ArcToolbox. The issue began immediately after I updated the software for my parallel operating system. I will be interested to check back and see if a resolution is identified.

Thanks,
    Matt

Elizabeth Phillips
    Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by mss6656 View Post
    Hello All,

Just this afternoon I began having the exact same issue that you describe here with ArcToolbox. The issue began immediately after I updated the software for my parallel operating system. I will be interested to check back and see if a resolution is identified.

Thanks,
    Matt
    Hey Matt ----

Interesting - are you running Parallels? I am too...I didn't think that would be the issue, but perhaps we're getting somewhere...

Also, I tried to "Load Settings" from Default (to see if I could rebuild that way) in ArcToolbox and got an error there, too

M Stahl
    Answers Provided

Hey Matt ----

Interesting - are you running Parallels? I am too...I didn't think that would be the issue, but perhaps we're getting somewhere...

Also, I tried to "Load Settings" from Default (to see if I could rebuild that way) in ArcToolbox and got an error there, too
    Hi Elizabeth,

Yes I am running Parallels. I had just run an update that popped up when I began having problems. Since you're also using Parallels, I think I might try restarting in BootCamp and see if the issue persists. Will let you know.

Matt

Elizabeth Phillips
    Answers Provided

FYI -

I also ran an update to Parallels on Monday. I was having another issue (Parallels was switching the network drives, thus breaking links to my map layers in ArcGIS) and I was advised to update to newer version (now running Parallels Build 6.0.11990 -- revised 11/29/10). I have an email to Parallels now - we'll see what they say!

I will update if/when I hear back

-Beth

M Stahl
    Answers Provided

FYI -

I also ran an update to Parallels on Monday. I was having another issue (Parallels was switching the network drives, thus breaking links to my map layers in ArcGIS) and I was advised to update to newer version (now running Parallels Build 6.0.11990 -- revised 11/29/10). I have an email to Parallels now - we'll see what they say!

I will update if/when I hear back

-Beth
    Beth,

On the off chance that some of the xsl files were corrupted, I just completed a full reinstall of ArcGIS 9.3. Unfortunately the problem is still present. I too will email the Parallels folks. As a side note, booting through Bootcamp did not make any difference at all. The Toolbox tools are all completely inoperable, as far as I can tell.

Matt

M Stahl
    Answers Provided

Beth,

On the off chance that some of the xsl files were corrupted, I just completed a full reinstall of ArcGIS 9.3. Unfortunately the problem is still present. I too will email the Parallels folks. As a side note, booting through Bootcamp did not make any difference at all. The Toolbox tools are all completely inoperable, as far as I can tell.

Matt

Beth,

There seems to be an easy workaround - change your default internet browser to IE and see if that fixes the toolbox issue. It did for me. Everything works as normal now. Not sure why this is the case but at least it should get us up and running again. Hope this helps.

Matt

steve kadle
    Answers Provided

im using the student edition as well, have to download and reinstall it, yet i dont have access to main menu bar. it says clicked on. but i can't find it to turn on and restablished at all and amy arc tool box is gone to

Glen Jordan
    Answers Provided

Beth,

There seems to be an easy workaround - change your default internet browser to IE and see if that fixes the toolbox issue. It did for me. Everything works as normal now. Not sure why this is the case but at least it should get us up and running again. Hope this helps.

Matt
    Matt,

Yes, would seem to be a Parallels problem with the update to 6.0.11990, although I'm having a problem with a Win 7 install of Arc 10 where the Parallels update has not been done, but no problem with 9.3.1 on Win XP on the same Mac. On a Mac running the updated Parallels, setting IE as the default browser has fixed problem on Win XP, but problem persists on my Win 7 install with Arc 10 where IE is the default. Perhaps the problem is due to some interaction between Windows updates and Parallels update? I have reported the problem to both Parallels and ESRI support. We'll see what that turns up.

Glen

M Stahl
    Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by unb View Post
    Matt,

Yes, would seem to be a Parallels problem with the update to 6.0.11990, although I'm having a problem with a Win 7 install of Arc 10 where the Parallels update has not been done, but no problem with 9.3.1 on Win XP on the same Mac. On a Mac running the updated Parallels, setting IE as the default browser has fixed problem on Win XP, but problem persists on my Win 7 install with Arc 10 where IE is the default. Perhaps the problem is due to some interaction between Windows updates and Parallels update? I have reported the problem to both Parallels and ESRI support. We'll see what that turns up.

Glen
    Glen,

We appreciate checking into this. I can't speak to Windows 7 as I'm running XP, but I agree with you that it does seem to be an issue with the Parallels update since Beth and I both ran into trouble and have that common setup. Thanks for your help,

Matt

Elizabeth Phillips
    Answers Provided

Aha!

Re-setting IE to be the default browser did the trick for me, too! Thanks thanks thanks...

I am running Windows XP and ArcGIS 9.3.1.

I know others running Windows 7 and ArcGIS 10, haven't heard that they have problems, but will check and report back if they do...

Thanks!
    beth

Jason Casanova
    Answers Provided

Beth, Matt, and Glen,

I'm also having the same issue running Parallels with Win 7(x64). My toolbox is shot. I went back and tried to reset IE but it was already set to default (as it's the only browser installed). Any magic place where you set the default aside from the control panel? If any of you hear back from Parallels, please let us know!

Thanks!
    Jason

Elizabeth Phillips
    Answers Provided

Hi Jason -

Launch Internet Explorer
    Go to Tools - Internet Options
    Click on Programs tab
    Under "Default web browser" (it should show the IE icon) click "Make default"

That should do it.

I only had IE installed, too, but still had to reset it this way

Good luck!

beth

Glen Jordan
    Answers Provided

Hi All,

No definitive word from Parallels support yet. It appears, though, that the most recent update has been pulled from their web site.

BTW, don't expect any help from ESRI; Parallels virtual machine installs are not supported.

Glen

William Oris
    Answers Provided

Has anyone found a resolution to this problem? I just downloaded and installed Parallels 6 two days ago and tried to start up ArcGIS 9.3.1 on Windows 7 (64 Bit). I had the same problem as the original poster and that same problem still persists after trying all of the problems here. Even after uninstalling everything for parallels and then uninstalling/reinstalling ArcGIS while booted into Windows natively. Please help, this is a major inconvenience as I am not able to use ArcToolbox at all. Thanks

William Oris

Laura Yasaitis
    Answers Provided

Hello all,

Did anyone figure out how to get this to work for the Parallels/Windows 7/ArcGIS 10 combination? I tried re-setting IE as the default browser, but that didn't work.

This is pretty frustrating... any help would be great!

Thanks

Jason Casanova
    Answers Provided

Resetting the default for the browser didn't end up working for me. What did end up working is resetting the Program Access defaults. After you login into Windows through Parallels, try going to the Control Panel>Programs>and click the main "Default Programs" heading. Then choose the fourth option in the list (Set program access and computer defaults). Click the first radio button (Microsoft Windows) and click OK. The tool menus now open up for me.

Again, I'm running Win 7 Professional (x64) with ArcGIS 10 on an iMac 27", so I'm not sure this will be a fix for all others. Please note that this is also a temporary fix, because you still need to do this every time you start up your virtual machine. Kind of annoying, but it's only once a day I guess and it takes just a minute to reset.

Jason Casanova

William Oris
    Answers Provided

Jason,

Thank you so much. That fixed it.

Glen Jordan
    Answers Provided

Thumbs up Re: No arctoolbox tools work

Quote Originally Posted by tummler View Post
    Resetting the default for the browser didn't end up working for me. What did end up working is resetting the Program Access defaults. After you login into Windows through Parallels, try going to the Control Panel>Programs>and click the main "Default Programs" heading. Then choose the fourth option in the list (Set program access and computer defaults). Click the first radio button (Microsoft Windows) and click OK. The tool menus now open up for me.

Again, I'm running Win 7 Professional (x64) with ArcGIS 10 on an iMac 27", so I'm not sure this will be a fix for all others. Please note that this is also a temporary fix, because you still need to do this every time you start up your virtual machine. Kind of annoying, but it's only once a day I guess and it takes just a minute to reset.

Jason Casanova
    Jason,

This also worked for my Win 7 Enterprise install running on a Mac Pro. So, looks like we've encountered some sort of Parallels - IE - ArcGIS conflict. Weird.

Parallels support was of no help. They suggested an ArcGIS uninstall-reinstall. Mind you, that may work too.

Glen

J F
    Answers Provided

Default Re: No arctoolbox tools work - Parallels 6 on Apple hardware

I was having a problem with ArcToolbox as well it kept giving me an error and closing.
    I’m not sure if the solution to my problem will work for you but it may be worth a try.

I found out that there is a known conflict between ArcToolbox and IE 7 & IE 8.
    I had to uninstall IE 8 so IE 6 became automatically active. Once I did that ArcToolbox worked fine.
    This problem was supposed to be resolved in ArcGIS 9.2 but perhaps it was not.

Worth a try.

Jen

V Stuart Foote

Answers Provided

Post Re: No arctoolbox tools work - Parallels 6 on Apple hardware

Folks,

When this problem was isolated to IE settings for Windows running under Parallels on Apple Mac OS X, the moderators agreed to clarify the thread title.

Once a Parallels 6 environment was associated the issues became clearer for those affected leading to an effective work around.

My takeaway request--please include the OS, system, and ArcGIS component info when opening (and titling) or contributing to a thread. While ESRI may not officially support off Redlands standard OS and hardware, many Forum participants including talented folks at ESRI can. It really helps clarify the support when all details are available.

Stuart

Mats Högström
    Answers Provided

Jason Casanova
    Thanks Jason! It did the trick for me too. I'm running ArcGIS 10.0/Win7 Enterprise 64-bit/Parallels 6.0.11990/OSX 10.6.5 on a MacBook Pro 13" and was having the same problem with non-functioning tools. To me it looks like it's version 6 of Parallels that's messing up things. I have had other serious problems after upgrading.

/mats

Jason Casanova
    Answers Provided

It appears that the newest build of Parallels (6011992) has fixed our issues.

JC

Jason Patterson
    Answers Provided

Mac machines are not officially certified but Esri will assist with certain issues. Running Parallels is a big no no, this is not supported at all; however something like BootCamp should work and is supported up to an extent. As long as the machine itself is running an Intel CPU and meets the minimum system requirements for ArcGIS you shouldn't have any problems.

But please remember that Esri does not test on Mac so there could be some issues that have not been documented.

Answers Provided

Cool Re: No arctoolbox tools work - Parallels 6 on Apple hardware

Thanks for the thread, folks. This is by far the most helpful one I have found addressing this issue. I am running a PC/Win 7 (x64)/ArcGIS 10 sp1 and this started happening with my last round of Win 7 autoupdates but maybe was the Firefox 5 install a couple days earlier. Can't be sure. I tried everything I found through the forum and this one finally worked - thanks Jason.
    1) Goto: Control Panel\Programs\Default Programs.
    2) click on 'set program access and computer defaults'
    3) click on Microsoft Windows radio button
    4) click 'OK'
    note: even though you selected microsoft windows and hit ok, it may go back to 'custom'. I don't know why it does this - maybe not using MSmail, rather thunderbird. Just leave it since it seems to fix the ArcToolbox problem anyway.
    Aloha

Julie Pierson
    Answers Provided

Thanks for this post. This problem popped up for a friend a few days ago with ArcGIS 9.3 on Windows 7 (no Parallels involved). The solution listed by mbarbee did the trick.

I could then set firefox back to web browser by default, and everything still worked.

Thanks again, saved me time and sweat!

Curtis Price

Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by mbarbee View Post
    Thanks for the thread, folks. This is by far the most helpful one I have found addressing this issue.
    1) Goto: Control Panel\Programs\Default Programs.
    2) click on 'set program access and computer defaults'
    3) click on Microsoft Windows radio button
    4) click 'OK'
    note: even though you selected microsoft windows and hit ok, it may go back to 'custom'. I don't know why it does this - maybe not using MSmail, rather thunderbird. Just leave it since it seems to fix the ArcToolbox problem anyway.
    This fix is documented in KB article 38564:
    Problem: Opening a geoprocessing tool from ArcToolbox prompts to open or save file

Paulo Menezes
    Answers Provided

Cool Re: No arctoolbox tools work

Jason Casanova
    Jason,

Thank you so much. That fixed it. I´m working with ARCGIS 10 in WINDOWS 7 64bits.

Paulo Menezes

Toni Menninger
    Answers Provided

Smile Re: No arctoolbox tools work - Parallels 6 on Apple hardware

I just had the same problem. It was fixed with Jason's solution. I'm so grateful I found the solution here within a half hour or so. ESRI needs to fix this.

Jed Roberts
    Answers Provided

Wink Re: No arctoolbox tools work

Jason Casanova
    This is the trick! Thanks, Jason.
    Jed Roberts
    Oregon Department of Geology and Mineral Industries
    Portland, Oregon

+ Reply to Thread