+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Problem running any tool

saurav kumar
    Answers Provided

Question Problem running any tool

I am getting an ActiveX error "One or more ActiveX controls could not be displayed because either:..." (Attached screenshot) when I open any tool. When I click the OK option, on the dialog box, it just shows me a blank sheet with no input boxes.

I have tried resetting security settings on IE (just in case some setting has messed up), reinstalling ArcGIS( in case some ActiveX object has been deleted) but still nothing.

What should I do, to fix it?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	error.png‎
Views:	1923
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	3387  

V Stuart Foote

Answers Provided

Default Re: Problem running any tool

Saurav,

We're going to need more detail about your hardware, OS, version of ArcGIS, and what default web browser you've set.

Off hand--problem could be a DEP restriction, use of an ActiveX incompatible web browser, or an IE based web browser security settings restricting an ESRI published ActiveX control component from Toolbox.

Also a chance that software for a biometrics device, e.g. fingerprint reader, or some other hardware driver is disrupting an ESRI published AcitveX control.

Stuart

If a post is helpful, or answers your question, or simply annoys you because it is WRONG please use the voting tools on the right side to help identify quality content on the Forum.

Systems Analyst - Geological Sciences
    The University of Texas at San Antonio
    Classroom & Research support
    Adobe, AutoDesk, ESRI, ERDAS, ESI, Exelis Visual, IHS, Mathworks, Oracle, SAS Inst, Schlumberger, Seismic Micro-Technology, Trimble, Wolfram

saurav kumar
    Answers Provided

Machine is a 64 bit with windows 7-64 bit OS.
    Browser: Chrome (default)
    ArcGIS Desktop 9.3.1 (I have have Java Engine and Server too)

IE has minimum setting for local computer, which should allow all signed ActiveX. I have AVG free and Spyware Terminator which can possibly prevent ActiveX code from running; I have tried after disabling both, same thing.

Where are the ArcGIS controls? Is there some way I can verify that they exist? Any other pointers.

saurav kumar
    Answers Provided

gpedit.msc also had the same message. Its a system wide problem not limited to ArcGIS. Just that I was using ArcGIS and discovered it there.

Apparently its related to Flash update (http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-...se-either.html ).

Just in case anyone needs it; deleting the psedonumeric key(L) in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\ cures it.

V Stuart Foote

Answers Provided

Thumbs up Re: Problem running any tool

Saurav,

Very glad you've tracked it down for all. Looking at the link you provided for a Microsoft provided solution posted by user Snoggins on the Windows 7 forums site:

You should delete 1 extra (parasite) zone from HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\ with a pseudo-graphic number, you'll see it before zone number 0..., looks like a miniature upper case "L".
    But Thank you greatly for clarifying and posting back the solution, that really makes the forum helpful!

Stuart

If a post is helpful, or answers your question, or simply annoys you because it is WRONG please use the voting tools on the right side to help identify quality content on the Forum.

Adobe, AutoDesk, ESRI, ERDAS, ESI, Exelis Visual, IHS, Mathworks, Oracle, SAS Inst, Schlumberger, Seismic Micro-Technology, Trimble, Wolfram

Answers Provided

Hi,

I am having the same problem, and I have the same system configuration, running ArcInfo 10.

However, I do not have this "L" zone that sauravk found. Has anyone else encountered this bug, and needed to try something else to fix it?

Thanks,

Ez

V Stuart Foote

Answers Provided

Ez,

When you say you are having the same problem, are you seeing the same "Web browser: One or more ActiveX controls could not be displayed because..." error?

Here is a link to the Microsoft KB on the message which suggests the problem can also be in the Internet Setting \Zones\0-- e.g. the local zone:
    Also conceivable that rather than the indicated HK Current User keys, it could be in the system wide HKLM Internet Setting\Zones keys.

If not the suggested internet settings--local zone or the "pseudo-graphic-L" zone, you may have to resort to capturing a process monitor log to see what is being called that is resulting in the ActiveX component blocking, and work back from there.

Stuart

Answers Provided

Thanks! It was a very frustrating problem, but I deleted that pseudo-graphic number folder that came before zone number 0, restarted ArcGIS, and everything worked perfectly!

naveed alam
    Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by jconlo2 View Post
    Thanks! It was a very frustrating problem, but I deleted that pseudo-graphic number folder that came before zone number 0, restarted ArcGIS, and everything worked perfectly!
    wow it works i am really happy as i was thinking of re loading window and then arcgis so it simply save 10 hours of me.

Thanks Man!

alon egozi
    Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by sauravk View Post
    gpedit.msc also had the same message. Its a system wide problem not limited to ArcGIS. Just that I was using ArcGIS and discovered it there.

Apparently its related to Flash update (http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-...se-either.html ).

Just in case anyone needs it; deleting the psedonumeric key(L) in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\ cures it.
    THANKS you helped me alot

balendra shukla
    Answers Provided

thanks buddy i also faced same problem and resolve it by your suggestion,
    but in my system psedonumeric key(L) is showing as Rectangle only before zone 0.
    i delete that and it works

cheers

Balli
    GIS Analyst
    Bhubaneswer

Eric Kouba
    Answers Provided

Same as above...

MacAir OS 10.6 running Windows 7 via Bootcamp
    no difficulties at all with ArcGIS v9.3
    just installed v 10 in late January

Initial symptoms included yellow paranoia bars appearing at top of the ArcCatalog window, asking if I wanted to allow this script. Clicking yes to run worked half the time, and the other half would crash the program.

Some Microsoft references pointed to Internet Explorer security settings, posted fix was Internet Explorer -> Tools -> Internet Options -> Security -> Custom Level -> etc, but those did not fix ArcInfo. Next was to set Security -> Enable Protected Mode off, and restart Internet Explorer and ArcCatalog multiple times. This got many tools working right away, more tools after multiple restarts, but not all of them (i.e. Project tool).

Then I found this thread, but... the first solution with RegEdit showed no pseudo (L) entry, and the second solution to look inside region 0 for data words 1200 and 1400 showed values = 0 (enable, no prompt).

Still no repeatable pattern on why some ArcInfo v10 tools fail sometimes. Internet Explorer definitely is not welcome.

Eric K
    UTSA GIS

Eric Kouba
    Answers Provided

Repeatable symptoms, always with different toolbox items

One example: brought up the environments window

Yellow bar at top of the Environment Settings window
    This website wants to run the following add-on "ArcGIS Product Version Library" from ESRI is not trusted...
    Right-click to run
    Security warning says "do you want to run", click yes

"An error has occurred in the script on this page"
    Line ***
    Char 4
    Error Invalid Pointer
    Code 0
    URL file:///[..] ESRI/Desktop10.0/ArcToolbox/Dlg/MdDlgContent.htm
    Do you want to continue?

Select yes, brings up another cycle of warnings, go back to the top, just change to a new line number.

It took a couple dozen cycles to handle each line number calling the ArcGIS Product Version Library.

Reopening the environments window does not cause a repeat line-by-line performance, but I have seen these same cycle of windows many times now.

Almost like IE is insisting each ESRI ActiveX script must be trusted separately, with no way to enter "trust ESRI".

Eric

V Stuart Foote

Answers Provided

Eric,

I believe Bootcamp favors Safari over MS Internet Explorer, what Apple components got loaded with Bootcamp?

Solution for you may be as simple as setting "Program Access and Computer Defaults" configuration back to Microsoft Windows. See this Windows 7 centric tutorial : ( http://www.7tutorials.com/how-set-pr...puter-defaults ) for steps to reset to Microsoft.

Stuart

JayLee Tuil
    Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by Eric.Kouba View Post
    Same as above...

MacAir OS 10.6 running Windows 7 via Bootcamp
    no difficulties at all with ArcGIS v9.3
    just installed v 10 in late January

Initial symptoms included yellow paranoia bars appearing at top of the ArcCatalog window, asking if I wanted to allow this script. Clicking yes to run worked half the time, and the other half would crash the program.

Then I found this thread, but... the first solution with RegEdit showed no pseudo (L) entry, and the second solution to look inside region 0 for data words 1200 and 1400 showed values = 0 (enable, no prompt).

Still no repeatable pattern on why some ArcInfo v10 tools fail sometimes. Internet Explorer definitely is not welcome.

Eric K
    UTSA GIS
    Hello,

I have a 64-bit machine running Windows 7 and ArcGIS 10 SP1.
    In short, any tool that I load from ArcToolbox, shows up blank. At first I got the same errors listed here of ActiveX not accessing ESRI. But now those dialogue boxes don't appear, and the toolbox is simply blank.
    I've spent hours now, reading through several posts on this issue, dating back several years in some cases. I have tried numerous things including, but not necessarily limited to: moving/removing the toolbox, renaming/moving the ESRI folder so it can be replaced on start-up; generating a new profile and logging in under that profile; xml parser solutions don't apply, as this is 64-bit; renaming the Settings folder (to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ESRI\ArcToolbox\SettingsOld) - similar to the removing/renaming the ESRI folder approach; even the RegEDIT, looking for the mysterious "L" or character folder in the zones folder, which I don't have - simply 5 folders numbered 0-4; finally, like Eric, I found values of 0 in the region 0 folder> 1200 and 1400 file.

This "text in the zones" solution worked for so many... but it seems that perhaps running version 10 is the difference here? Please help me find my toolbox...

Thanks,
    JayLee

Stephen Benzek
    Answers Provided

I have the same setup as JayLee below. Any solution yet? THanks,

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by tuilbox View Post
    Hello,

I have a 64-bit machine running Windows 7 and ArcGIS 10 SP1.
    In short, any tool that I load from ArcToolbox, shows up blank. At first I got the same errors listed here of ActiveX not accessing ESRI. But now those dialogue boxes don't appear, and the toolbox is simply blank.
    I've spent hours now, reading through several posts on this issue, dating back several years in some cases. I have tried numerous things including, but not necessarily limited to: moving/removing the toolbox, renaming/moving the ESRI folder so it can be replaced on start-up; generating a new profile and logging in under that profile; xml parser solutions don't apply, as this is 64-bit; renaming the Settings folder (to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ESRI\ArcToolbox\SettingsOld) - similar to the removing/renaming the ESRI folder approach; even the RegEDIT, looking for the mysterious "L" or character folder in the zones folder, which I don't have - simply 5 folders numbered 0-4; finally, like Eric, I found values of 0 in the region 0 folder> 1200 and 1400 file.

This "text in the zones" solution worked for so many... but it seems that perhaps running version 10 is the difference here? Please help me find my toolbox...

Thanks,
    JayLee

Chris Fox

Answers Provided

At ArcGIS 10 you need to enable the running of Active X controls and Active Scripting in the Local Intranet Zone. You can access these settings from Internet Explorer > Internet Options > Security > Local Intranet > Custom Level. The specific settings to enable are "Run Active X controls and plug-ins" and "Active Scripting"

These correspond to the registry D Word Values 1200 and 1400 in Zone 1. You can access these values in the registry as well in the following location:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\1

If you set 1200 and 1400 to 0 I believe this may resolve the problems you are still encountering. By default windows should have these settings enabled however if the Local Intranet security setting has been set to High you will recieve Active X errors and warnings when trying to run tools.
    Chris Fox
    Esri

JayLee Tuil
    Answers Provided

Hi Chris,

I can (and have) confirm(ed) that both 1200 and 1400 (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\1) are indeed set to 0. Still blank tools in my toolbox.

Thanks,

JayLee

Chris Fox

Answers Provided

Hi JayLee,

In that case I would recommend you contact Technical Support to continue troubleshooting the issue. They will be more equipped to handle this issue and get a resolution for you.
    Chris Fox
    Esri

JayLee Tuil
    Answers Provided

Thanks Chris,
    Indeed, I have been in dialogue with members of the staff; in fact, perhaps you'll hear an internal request soon.
    I look forward to finding the solution.
    Thanks,
    JayLee

Bill Winston
    Answers Provided

All,

I am experiencing the same problem as JayLee even though I have checked (and rechecked) the recommended registry settings. Please post if a solution is found as this problem is extremely frustrating when it pops up during a class demonstration. It does not present the software at its best.

Regards,

Bill

Robert Cerrato
    Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by BillWinston View Post
    All,

I am experiencing the same problem as JayLee even though I have checked (and rechecked) the recommended registry settings. Please post if a solution is found as this problem is extremely frustrating when it pops up during a class demonstration. It does not present the software at its best.

Regards,

Bill
    Starting about two weeks ago, none of the tools in ArcToolbox functioned. ESRI Client Support identified and helped me resolve this problem. My user profile was corrupted, possibly by an Adobe Flash upgrade that occurred at the end of March.

To fix the problem, I had to create a new profile and copy all my files and settings to it (search "Fix a corrupted user profile" in Google for instructions).

The fix worked and the new profile looks and acts the same as the old one.

Bob

Le Thanh
    Answers Provided

Thank you Sauravak! Good job for fixing the error "One or more ActiveX controls could not be displayed because either:...". I just got it and find this thread as a solution.

Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by Ezrakahn View Post
    Hi,

I am having the same problem, and I have the same system configuration, running ArcInfo 10.

However, I do not have this "L" zone that sauravk found. Has anyone else encountered this bug, and needed to try something else to fix it?

Thanks,

Ez
    I hope this step help,

TROUBLE APPEAR
    Web Browser
    One or more ActiveX controls could not be displayed because either:
    1) Your current security settings prohibit running ActiveX controls on this page, or
    2) You have blocked a publisher of one of the controls. As a result, the page may not display correctly.

SOLUTION FOR :
    WINDOWS 7 64 BIT, ARCGIS 10 SP.1 COULD NOT RUN ANY GEOPROCESSING ARCTOOLBOX
    WITHOUT "psedonumeric key(L) in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\ "

STEPS :

1. wINDOWS lOGO+r,type : regedit, enter
    2. Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\

zones ; key; modify Data to
    0 1200 0
    0 1400 0
    1 1200 0
    1 1201 0
    1 1400 0
    1 1406 0
    2 1200 0
    2 1201 0
    2 1400 0
    2 1406 0
    3 1200 0
    3 1201 0
    3 1400 0
    3 1406 0
    4 1200 0
    4 1201 0
    4 1400 0
    4 1406 0

3. Close Registry editor, restart PC/Notebook, re run ArcMap
    Last edited by kuntoro.aji; 03-29-2012 at 01:31 AM.

tripp lowe
    Answers Provided

If I recall, I got these errors until I began running ArcMap/Catalog with elevated privileges (right-click on the shortcut > "Run as Administrator" - this is different than logging into Win7 using an Administrator account).

-Tripp

26. 08-23-2012 06:58 AM

Ernest Dunwoody
    Answers Provided

Hello,

I have fallen into the fate of "Tools not opening in ArcToolbox" and tried to follow your advice but can't.

Having trouble fixing it.

I have attached a copy of what the "zones" file displays in my registry editor. Quite different from below solution.

Could anyone tell me what, if anything, I should change in this or the other "zone" files

Any and all advice gratefully received.
    Sincerely,
    Edi

Quote Originally Posted by kuntoro.aji View Post
    I hope this step help,

TROUBLE APPEAR
    Web Browser
    1) Your current security settings prohibit running ActiveX controls on this page, or
    2) You have blocked a publisher of one of the controls. As a result, the page may not display correctly.

SOLUTION FOR :
    WITHOUT "psedonumeric key(L) in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\ "

STEPS :

2. Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\

0 1200 0
    0 1400 0
    1 1200 0
    1 1201 0
    1 1400 0
    1 1406 0
    2 1200 0
    2 1201 0
    2 1400 0
    2 1406 0
    3 1200 0
    3 1201 0
    3 1400 0
    3 1406 0
    4 1200 0
    4 1201 0
    4 1400 0
    4 1406 0

Attached Files

Ernest Dunwoody
    Answers Provided

Hello,
    I have attached a view of my Rededit screen for Internet Settings/Zones but can't see any small upper case "L" to remove.

Is my Regedit file correct or am I missing something.

I have exactly the problem you described; My ArcToolbox tools stopped opening all of a sudden.

Thank you
    Edi

Quote Originally Posted by vsfoote View Post
    Saurav,

Very glad you've tracked it down for all. Looking at the link you provided for a Microsoft provided solution posted by user Snoggins on the Windows 7 forums site:

But Thank you greatly for clarifying and posting back the solution, that really makes the forum helpful!

Stuart
    Attached Files

Peter Easton
    Answers Provided

Tried all of the solutions posted in turn, and this one was the final "hooray" one which got me going again. Thanks for the great information guys.

(Windows server 2008R2 - 10.1)

I hope this step help,

TROUBLE APPEAR
    Web Browser

SOLUTION FOR :

STEPS :

0 1200 0
    0 1400 0
    1 1200 0
    1 1201 0
    1 1400 0
    1 1406 0
    2 1200 0
    2 1201 0
    2 1400 0
    2 1406 0
    3 1200 0
    3 1201 0
    3 1400 0
    3 1406 0
    4 1200 0
    4 1201 0
    4 1400 0
    4 1406 0

Maxim Silin
    Answers Provided

I hope this step help,

TROUBLE APPEAR
    Web Browser

SOLUTION FOR :

STEPS :

0 1200 0
    0 1400 0
    1 1200 0
    1 1201 0
    1 1400 0
    1 1406 0
    2 1200 0
    2 1201 0
    2 1400 0
    2 1406 0
    3 1200 0
    3 1201 0
    3 1400 0
    3 1406 0
    4 1200 0
    4 1201 0
    4 1400 0
    4 1406 0

This has helped to resolve the issue.

Tom M
    Answers Provided

I did not have the L either. I went into Internet Explorer, Security, Trusted Sites and under the Sites button removed http://localhost. That fixed it for me.

Michele White
    Answers Provided

I did not have the psuedo L
    I edited my zones according to the suggested "0" for each of the D word listed in previous suggestions
    I set my Internet security to allow active X controls plug-ins etc.
    I have rebooted and restarted ArcCatalog multiple times.

I am still having blank tools and I really need to get my work done.

Got any suggestions, please?

One thing different: I do not use IE8 or IE9 - I had problems lading webpages so I use Google Chrome now.

Michele White
    Answers Provided

I ended up in an online-share-the-screen help with ESRI staff for 5 days. On my end the issue was traced to McAfee which not only interferes with other software (besides ArcView) running properly, but the un-installation procedure deletes integral files. There are multiple steps to removing McAfee, including logging on to McAfee and selecting "Deactivate" your account after you have un-installed it. Then, there is an additional link to run another tool that cleans McAfee from your system completely.

The link to that tool from ESRI super cool dude "Kishor" is:
    "As discussed here is the link to download MCPR.exe which uninstall the McCaffe utilities- http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS101331

ESRI provided me a one-time "courtesy" assistance, as I am not current for that type of support and I would have really been screwed if they didn't help me. I gave up on this issue but they didn't. Like I said, I was online with them for days. Also, reading all the above fixes makes me realize there are multiple issues that can result in the same behavior -- we all lost our tools but we had different circumstances to address.

Christi Nelson
    Answers Provided

Exclamation Re: Problem running any tool

Quote Originally Posted by alegozi View Post
    THANKS you helped me alot
    How do you find this location?

V Stuart Foote

Answers Provided

Christi,

This thread identifies numerous scenarios causing problems with ArcGIS Toolbox.

This correction would only apply for the case where the pseudo numeric L registry key is present in the InternetSettings Zones for your current user account.

To check, open the Windows registry with regedit.exe

Then navigate to this key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\

Under Zones btree if you see an L laying on its side, it is applicable to you. Repair by removing the pseudo numeric key. Otherwise one of the other scenarios applies.

Stuart

balendra shukla
    Answers Provided

one or more activex controls could not be displayed
    when ever you try to open any tools from Arctoolbox it display this errors.

then go to start run -->regedit--> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\ and delete the pseudonumeric key(L) or Rectangle shape before zone 0.

restart the arcgis , and it works

cheers
    Balendra Shukla
    Sr. GIS Analyst
    balendra.shukla81@gmail.com

+ Reply to Thread