+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Calibri Font issues in PDF after ArcMap Export

Parker Wittman
    Answers Provided

Default Calibri Font issues in PDF after ArcMap Export

Hi All,

I'm encountering a mysterious issue when I export a map layout to PDF:

I'm trying to use the Calibri font that comes standard with Office 2007+ on my layout. After exporting to PDF (with or without embedded fonts), some of the Calibri text is garbled (see attached PDF).

System information of note:
    OS = Windows 7 Pro 64bit
    ArcGIS ver = 10 sp1
    Adobe Acrobat ver = Acrobat Standard 9.3.4

Other clues/information of (possible) note:
    (1) when I select/copy the characters out of the PDF and paste them into something like Notepad, I get a bunch of unknown "[?]" characters.
    (2) when I peek into the PDF and look at the document properties the normal Calibri font is embedded as a CID font with Identity-H encoding. All the other fonts (including Calibri bold and italics) are embedded normally, with ANSI encoding.
    (3) this seems to happen with ONLY Calibri. It also seems somehow related to the combination of characters in the strings. Different words = different results. "I"s and "N"s seem suspect.

Totally bizarre. Fairly maddening. Calibri is a slick font and I'd like it on my map.

Any thoughts?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by parkerwittman; 11-19-2010 at 11:25 AM.

John Sobetzer

Answers Provided

Default Re: Calibri Font issues in PDF after ArcMap Export

Calibri is not installed on a lot of computers including servers. Does embedding your fonts in the pdf help?

Zac Ward
    Answers Provided

A way around this is to export as a jpeg then open that as a pdf. You will lose some resolution though.

Zac

Nanette Pratini
    Answers Provided

We are having the same problem, even with embedded fonts selected. Maddening, since Calibri is now our company standard.

tobin lilly
    Answers Provided

I am also experiencing this issue. The export works for other fonts but not Calibri. It is very very annoying. Does anyone know what the issue may be? Is ESRI making moves to create a patch or at lease let us know if there is a work around. Can't have random question marks and text sitting on top of itself on my maps.

Melita Kennedy

Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by parkerwittman View Post
    Hi All,

I'm encountering a mysterious issue when I export a map layout to PDF:

I'm trying to use the Calibri font that comes standard with Office 2007+ on my layout. After exporting to PDF (with or without embedded fonts), some of the Calibri text is garbled (see attached PDF).

System information of note:
    OS = Windows 7 Pro 64bit
    ArcGIS ver = 10 sp1
    Adobe Acrobat ver = Acrobat Standard 9.3.4

Other clues/information of (possible) note:
    (1) when I select/copy the characters out of the PDF and paste them into something like Notepad, I get a bunch of unknown "[?]" characters.
    (2) when I peek into the PDF and look at the document properties the normal Calibri font is embedded as a CID font with Identity-H encoding. All the other fonts (including Calibri bold and italics) are embedded normally, with ANSI encoding.
    (3) this seems to happen with ONLY Calibri. It also seems somehow related to the combination of characters in the strings. Different words = different results. "I"s and "N"s seem suspect.

Totally bizarre. Fairly maddening. Calibri is a slick font and I'd like it on my map.

Any thoughts?
    A long shot, but someone on another forum mentioned that turning off (Control Panel -> Regional and Language Options -> Languages -> Install files for East Asian languages) works in XP. They seem to have figured out that if a ligature combination is used, like fi or ft, that mangles that rest of the PDF file.

And from Cassandra on the old forums:

The issue is related to fonts which support ligatures (special characters which replace character sequences, like 'ff', 'fl', 'fi' and 'Th'). There is a problem with one of the Windows text commands used by ArcMap which can result in garbled characters appearing in text strings that use fonts which support ligatures.

Until such a time as Microsoft fixes this bug or we are able to use a different method, please change the font to a non-ligature font, like Arial, etc.
    Melita
    Melita Kennedy
    Sr. Esri Product Engineer

Willie Wilbers
    Answers Provided

We have the same issue with the Calibri font.

My work around is to print a with PDF reDirect. I haven't noticed any issues with Calibri if I print using PDF reDirect.

Willie Wilbers
    Answers Provided

Does anybody know if this issue has been fixed with Windows 7 SP1?

Tamsen Jennings
    Answers Provided

Unhappy Re: Calibri Font issues in PDF after ArcMap Export

Same issue. Has a fix been found?

Mi?osz Gnat
    Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by Willie_Wilbers View Post
    We have the same issue with the Calibri font.

My work around is to print a with PDF reDirect. I haven't noticed any issues with Calibri if I print using PDF reDirect.
    I've made the same with PDFCreator.

Answers Provided

Same problem with exporting to EPS - Ghostview under Windows. The label gets messed up on the character combination 'ti'.
    Work around - split the text into two parts between 't' and 'i' and place it into two text boxes side by side. A bit more difficult to manage the label, but you can get your text displayed properly.

Sam Libby
    Answers Provided

I encountered the same issues with a Palatino Export to PDF. It seemed to be related to the install of Adobe Reader X.

To fix the problem, you can edit your system fonts to remove the ligature "lookup tables" that cause the auto-transformation from "fi" to "garble". This does change system fonts irrevocably, but you can always uninstall and reinstall from a clean machine (I've had no issues in testing)

I did this using fontforge, which requires either a *nix machine or Cygwin for Windows and some interesting workarounds.

e-mail me at slibby(at)esri.com if you'd like more of an explanation.

Tobin Lilly
    Answers Provided

Does ESRI plan to fix this issue? Calibri and other fonts using ligatures do not export properly using the export map option. This screws up mapbook printing and effects the usefulness of python scripting. Seems like they have fixed it in 9.X versions but haven't done so in 10 even with SP2.

ESRI????? Any answer?

David Watkins
    Answers Provided

We are aware of this problem. Fonts with automatic ligatures, such as Calibri, Palatino, Linotype, Adobe Jensen Pro, and Myriad Pro, can fail to export certain character sequences to PDF, EPS, SVG, and AI (Illustrator) formats. Some of the failed sequences include 'ff', 'fl', 'fi', and 'Th'. The characters may fail to appear in the export file, and text following the character sequence may appear garbled. This problem occurs on Windows XP when regional settings are set for non-English text input, and occurs on all versions of Windows Vista and Windows 7. The nimbus tracking number for this is NIM012587. We have narrowed this to a Microsoft bug and we are actively working on a solution. I will post an update when a fix is available.

Jakub Sisak
    Answers Provided

I've seen a suggestion above to export to jpeg then to convert to PDF. To get the smallest file but maximum resolution you MUST export to TIFF then convert to PDF. To get the best rendering, smallest file and highest quality image conversion can only be done in Adobe Acrobat or Nitro PDF 7 (free beta). Nitro must be the new engine 7 which has a superior rendering capabilities. Note: Nitro Proffesional 6 does not have the new engine and will not work nearly as well.

PDF exporter has always been very flaky. I've been having problems with it since version 8. I'd recommend not to use it at all. If you need vectors and rasters in your PDF, use Export to AI and assemble in Illustrator or a similar program such as CorelDRAW.

Jakub Sisak, GISP
    GIS StackExchange

JAKUB SISAK photography
    To see my photography please visit:
    facebook | fine art america | 500px | Flickr

Answers Provided

Solution : don't use calibri.

Bob Mijwaard
    Answers Provided

Is this problem already solved? The problem also occurs with our Univers font on Windows 7 with ArcGIS 10.0 service pack 1.

At the moment this is a showstopper for the production of our topographic maps.

Export to something else like TIF, JPG, AI is no solution.

Regards,

Bob

Gregory Elwood
    Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by det2012 View Post
    Solution : don't use calibri.
    I love Calibri! And use it all the time.

The whole PDF-EPS-SVG-ligature-etc. thing is a huge pain in the cubicle.

My workaround is to export as TIFF and convert to PDF in Photoshop. I know not everyone has Adobe software products as well as ArcGIS, so my answer may not be very helpful to many.

I detest taking my beautiful, large-scale, high-resolution wall maps to the local "Office Printing" vendor, only to be told that they can't open my TIFF file, could I please bring it back as a PDF? I always turn the compression off on the PDF export and stand there at the counter and make them copy my file to their hard drive before they attempt to open my image file, instead of trying to read it from the DVD. Takes forever. Never let the people at the Office Printing place tell you to use jpeg compression for your PDF. Just because they don't want to take the time to deal with your image properly doesn't mean you should have to compromise on the quality of your work.

Gregory

joe sather
    Answers Provided

A simple workaround for this issue is to PRINT to PDF. This requires installing a PDF printer, such as Adobe or Bluebeam. You do lose some functionality in the PDF formatting options, but it appears to work other than that. I also don't like that I can't include the Map Name suffix on the PDF when I use data driven pages.

Jon Morris
    Answers Provided

Just to let you know that the fix for this issue will be 10.1 final.
    Jon Morris
    Esri

Joseph Kinyon
    Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by jonmorris View Post
    Just to let you know that the fix for this issue will be 10.1 final.
    Great news! so looking forward to using some fonts that were problematic because of this.

Answers Provided

Thumbs down Re: Calibri Font issues in PDF after ArcMap Export

It is great that it is being addressed in 10.1...but what about those that can't upgrade to 10.1. This is a little disappointing that it wasn't addressed in one of the 5 service packs.

Kayla Folkins
    Answers Provided

Here is a puzzler:

We are 'in between' ArcMap versions: I have 9.3 installed locally and access to 10 (NOT 10.1) via Citrix. A map created in 9.3 and exported to .pdf had NO ISSUES with Calibri. However, bringing the map into 10 and then exporting re-introduced the dreaded Calibri behaviour.

Any thoughts as to why?

klf
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Calibri_10.jpg‎
Views:	129
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	21188   Click image for larger version

Name:	Calibri_93.jpg‎
Views:	102
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	21189  

Kayla Folkins
    Answers Provided

Okay, figured this one out from previous posts: it's the OS. The machine with 9.3 is Windows XP, the Citrix server is Windows Server 2003. To confirm, tested on another XP desktop with 10 installed locally; sure enough, it does NOT replicate the erratic font behavior, so not a 10 issues. Do we get to blame Microsquish? =P

Rachel Frischeisen
    Answers Provided

Angry Re: Calibri Font issues in PDF after ArcMap Export

This issue has been driving me crazy. It's definitely only been a problem after I moved to Windows 7. BUT IF IT'S ANY HELP TO ANYONE OUT THERE, YOU CAN AVOID THE ISSUE BY USING ALL CAPS IN THE AFFECTED TEXT IN YOUR MAP DOCUMENT. I ASSUME THIS IS BECAUSE LIGATURES DON'T APPLY TO CAPITAL LETTERS. MAYBE IF I TYPE LOUDLY, SOMEONE WILL HEAR ME AND RESOLVE THIS ISSUE. Thanks in advance.

Jon Morris
    Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by kfolkins View Post
    Do we get to blame Microsquish? =P
    To a certain extent, yes! Microsoft make changes to their GDI at every release, which means you will sometimes see different behaviour at XP than at Windows 7. Most of the time, the behaviour has improved, but not always...
    Jon Morris
    Esri

Jon Morris
    Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by frischrl View Post
    This issue has been driving me crazy. It's definitely only been a problem after I moved to Windows 7. BUT IF IT'S ANY HELP TO ANYONE OUT THERE, YOU CAN AVOID THE ISSUE BY USING ALL CAPS IN THE AFFECTED TEXT IN YOUR MAP DOCUMENT. I ASSUME THIS IS BECAUSE LIGATURES DON'T APPLY TO CAPITAL LETTERS. MAYBE IF I TYPE LOUDLY, SOMEONE WILL HEAR ME AND RESOLVE THIS ISSUE. Thanks in advance.
    Hi Rachel,

We did install a fix for ligatures in PDF export, which I *think* is in 10.1 final. If you are not on 10.1 (or it was a different issue), you could try a different font which does not support ligatures. OR CARRY ON USING CAPITALS
    Jon Morris
    Esri

Rachel Frischeisen
    Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by jonmorris View Post
    Hi Rachel,

We did install a fix for ligatures in PDF export, which I *think* is in 10.1 final. If you are not on 10.1 (or it was a different issue), you could try a different font which does not support ligatures. OR CARRY ON USING CAPITALS
    Thanks. Changing font would be too easy plus, all of our current maps use Calibri and it would be a pain to change all of that existing formatting.

I did, however, find that printing to PDF rather than exporting seems to solve the problem for me in most cases, as someone else had previously suggested. Yet this distorts a .jpg logo we use.. Changing that to a .gif solves that. There's a workaround for everything, I guess

ForumEsri Topomat
    Answers Provided

Hello,
    It would be very useful to have a list of ligature fonts and non ligature fonts.

ForumEsri Topomat
    Answers Provided

Here's a techarticle which gives a good workaround : convert the text to a graphic (on export). This solved it for us !
    http://support.esri.com/fr/knowledge...s/detail/35095

Summary
    Instructions provided describe how to convert text as graphic objects while exporting, similar to stroking fonts or 'Export text as outline'.

Procedure
    1. Open the Properties dialog box for the text symbol.
    2. Open the Symbol Editor dialog box and click the 'Advanced Text' tab.
    3. Click on the 'Text fill pattern' check box.
    4. Click the 'Text fill pattern' Properties button.
    5. Set the fill color to black, or desired text color, and set the text outline color to 'No Color'.
    6. Click OK on all dialog boxes to commit the changes.

The text string(s) may display as low quality in ArcMap, but the text in the resultant output displays and prints at good quality.

Jon Morris
    Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by topomat View Post
    Hello,
    It would be very useful to have a list of ligature fonts and non ligature fonts.
    Yes, I did try to find such a list, but had no luck. I know that all the fonts in the Microsoft ClearType font collection (Constantia, Corbel, Calibri, Cambria, Candara, and Consolas) do support ligatures, but beyond that it's trial and error. Try writing a word like 'Office' on a curved baseline and export it and you'll soon find out which fonts substitute ligatures and which ones don't.

If anyone else has more information, feel free to post here!
    Jon Morris
    Esri

+ Reply to Thread