+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Measure Tool ArcGIS 10

Todd Fagin
    Answers Provided

Thumbs down Measure Tool ArcGIS 10

I am a geography and GIS educator. As I am updating all of my course materials to ArcGIS 10, I am finding numerous little annoyances along the way (plus a couple of major annoyances (go ahead and ask me why I hate the way Esri resdesigned the Spatial Analyst toolbar and Raster Calculator)).

My latest little annoyance is with the Measure tool. In previous versions of ArcGIS, Distance units could be set to both decimal degrees and degrees minutes seconds. While some may not see the practical utility in these two units, I can assure you as a GIS educator, they were invaluable in distilling the concepts of map projections. For instance, I would have students measure the distance between 30° graticules in different parts of the world in both decimal degrees and kilometers to demonstrate that a degree is not a uniform unit of measurement, rather varies based on position of the Earth.

Guess what, can't do that one any more (unless there is a hidden option somewhere I am overlooking). Ugh!!!

(I will commend Esri on the snapping feature in the Measure tool, though. They got that right.)

Melita Kennedy

Answers Provided

Default Re: Measure Tool ArcGIS 10

Quote Originally Posted by tfagin View Post
    I am a geography and GIS educator. As I am updating all of my course materials to ArcGIS 10, I am finding numerous little annoyances along the way (plus a couple of major annoyances (go ahead and ask me why I hate the way Esri resdesigned the Spatial Analyst toolbar and Raster Calculator)).

My latest little annoyance is with the Measure tool. In previous versions of ArcGIS, Distance units could be set to both decimal degrees and degrees minutes seconds. While some may not see the practical utility in these two units, I can assure you as a GIS educator, they were invaluable in distilling the concepts of map projections. For instance, I would have students measure the distance between 30° graticules in different parts of the world in both decimal degrees and kilometers to demonstrate that a degree is not a uniform unit of measurement, rather varies based on position of the Earth.

Guess what, can't do that one any more (unless there is a hidden option somewhere I am overlooking). Ugh!!!

(I will commend Esri on the snapping feature in the Measure tool, though. They got that right.)
    Hi Todd,

Another way to accomplish your previous workflow is to use a feature class of graticule lines. I routinely add a 10x10 or 15x15 shapefile when I'm working with data so I can stay in the data view (as opposed to layout view). You can make one with the

Create Fishnet Tool

Melita
    Melita Kennedy
    Sr. Esri Product Engineer

+ Reply to Thread