+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How well does ArcGIS 10 work on Parallels?

Frank Perks
    Answers Provided

Default How well does ArcGIS 10 work on Parallels?

Anyone run ArcGIS 10 on a Mac via virtualization?

PANDA CONSULTING
    Answers Provided

Default Re: How well does ArcGIS 10 work on Parallels?

We use Parallels exclusively on several i5 imacs (anywhere from 8-16 GB of memory), MacBook Pros (8GB memory) and a MacBook (4GB memory). We have virtual machines using ArcGIS 9.3.1 and ArcGIS 10 on Windows XP, Windows 7 Professional with both 32 and 64 bit versions. As long as you have sufficient RAM on the computer, the standard components work great. Depending on the platform, iMacs and MacBook Pro working better, more advanced functions such as globes and 3D are definitely acceptable.

The only issue we have encountered is an anomaly when we moved to Parallels 6 on a machine that had been using Parallels since 3.0. It was intermittently not enabling cut and paste, but we have never been able to replicate this problem on other machines.

Good luck and don't be afraid to also try Boot Camp.

Jason Patterson
    Answers Provided

I would suggest BootCamp, Parallels is not supported and if any issues arise Support Services can do little (except the usual trouble shooting) to help resolve issues.

BootCamp pretty much takes the Mac OS out of the picture ans Mac is not offically certified it takes one hurdle out of the picture. As long as the machine is using an Intel CPU, meets minimum system requirements for running ArcGIS and BootCamp is used Esri will provide a decent amount of support.

V Stuart Foote

Answers Provided

Jason,

All true, but who cares what level of support ESRI provides? Most substantive work on Apple OS X emulated environments is already done by the user community. We know that Parallels and Fusion are not supported configurations by ESRI technical support. These Forums, StackExchange, the Fusion and Parallels forums/blogs are working out the support not only for ArcGIS but many high end Windows based applications, as has always been done.

The Forum also knows that ESRI does support Bootcamp configurations to a degree, as in truth these systems become Windows Intel systems with a driver set provided by Apple for the Apple and Apple affiliate hardware.

The plain truth is that ArcGIS 10.0 and ArcGIS 9.3.1 run very well on Apple hardware under OS emulation or with native Windows OS configuration. Support--another issue but folks using Apple products already have made the choice to forgo some measure of support in making their desktop computing choice.

Stuart
    Last edited by vsfoote; 01-27-2011 at 12:57 PM.

If a post is helpful, or answers your question, or simply annoys you because it is WRONG please use the voting tools on the right side to help identify quality content on the Forum.

Systems Analyst - Geological Sciences
    The University of Texas at San Antonio
    Classroom & Research support
    Adobe, AutoDesk, ESRI, ERDAS, ESI, Exelis Visual, IHS, Mathworks, Oracle, SAS Inst, Schlumberger, Seismic Micro-Technology, Trimble, Wolfram

Nathan Cronin
    Answers Provided

Well i'm running an MPB 15" and have Windows XP installed under Parallels. I have installed ArcGIS 10 and cannot get it to run. It hangs after the banner comes up. All signs indicate it is the OpenGL 2.0 issue but i've confirmed that my driver is compliant so i'm dead in the water and still running my 9.3 ARc on an old PC. Not sure about Bootcamp but i'd be careful if you're running Parallels.

V Stuart Foote

Answers Provided

Nathan,

Which release of Parallels?

Also, hanging at the banner can be more than OpenGL 2.0 spec support issue. Possible it is a FlexNet Publisher Trusted Storage licensing issue with the hostID, were you able to complete activation? And was it a Single Use license activation or a floating network seat?

Stuart

If a post is helpful, or answers your question, or simply annoys you because it is WRONG please use the voting tools on the right side to help identify quality content on the Forum.

Adobe, AutoDesk, ESRI, ERDAS, ESI, Exelis Visual, IHS, Mathworks, Oracle, SAS Inst, Schlumberger, Seismic Micro-Technology, Trimble, Wolfram

Ashley Mott
    Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by Jaso5218 View Post
    I would suggest BootCamp, Parallels is not supported and if any issues arise Support Services can do little (except the usual trouble shooting) to help resolve issues.

BootCamp pretty much takes the Mac OS out of the picture ans Mac is not offically certified it takes one hurdle out of the picture. As long as the machine is using an Intel CPU, meets minimum system requirements for running ArcGIS and BootCamp is used Esri will provide a decent amount of support.
    I am running Windows 7 on bootcamp with ArcGIS 10. At least Windows 7 is kinda Mac OS-ish. Tried virtualization - it was awkward for me. I found it more cumbersome, which sounds weird since now I have to reboot. I just like it better.

Kristen Morito
    Answers Provided

Right now, I'm running a student edition of ArcGIS 10 on Windows XP Pro SP3 via Parallels on my 4-year old MacBook Pro. I'm limited to 2GB RAM, and obviously, my video card is a little outdated.

That all being said, I'd say ArcGIS 10 runs fair to good on Parallels. For me, it's a little slow, and a bit laggy, but I'm confident that with newer, better, specs and more RAM, it would run just superbly.

EDIT: Is there anything I should do on the virtual machine side of things to make things run faster? Currently I've allocated 1 core to Parallels... can I safely do more?
    Last edited by Okashiko; 02-08-2011 at 05:03 PM. Reason: Forgot something

Tim Spivey
    Answers Provided

Stuart -
    Let me ask a related question.

Do you have any experience connecting remotely from a Mac to an XP machine that has ArcGIS 931 installed? Right now I use a G3 Pismo w. OS 10.2.8 but may move to a G4 laptop.

Also, any preferred way of connecting (eg "Go To My PC" or "PC Anywhere")?

Thanks.

V Stuart Foote

Answers Provided

Tim,

No sorry. Not much use to me. I need go the other way with NX Server/Client from Windows to Linux. Not your specific need but you might look at NoMachine's ( http://www.nomachine.com )offerings.

Stuart

Nathan Cronin
    Answers Provided

Hi Stuart

I'm using parallels 5 (build 5.0.9344)

I was able to complete activation, it is a single use license. I can open arcCatalog fine but ArcGIS hangs at the banner.

Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by vsfoote View Post
    Nathan,

Which release of Parallels?

Also, hanging at the banner can be more than OpenGL 2.0 spec support issue. Possible it is a FlexNet Publisher Trusted Storage licensing issue with the hostID, were you able to complete activation? And was it a Single Use license activation or a floating network seat?

Stuart

V Stuart Foote

Answers Provided

Nathan,

ArcMap hanging at the banner, but Catalog running suggests either it is still a graphics problem. Folks with Parallels 6 seem to be doing OK. You didn't install the Data Interoperability extension did you?

Stuart

Nathan Cronin
    Answers Provided

Hi Stuart,

I don't think so. I saw several posts on the Data Interoperability extension causing issues but it wasn't an option to install/uninstall in setup. I ended up uninstalling all the extensions but it had no effect. I've been tempted to upgrade to parallels 6 but it's pretty hard to justify if i don't know for sure if it will solve the issue.

Nathan

V Stuart Foote

Answers Provided

Nathan,

Sorry, just realized I'd left a piece out of the earlier post. Either OpenGL spec 2.0 support, or lack of a functional default printer. What is you printer situation on your XP guest OS? You probably should do the upgrade to Parallels 6 regardless of the ArcGIS situation at some point as the folks at Parallels have continued to improve the emulation framework to provide a more robust Windows guest OS experience.

Stuart
    Last edited by vsfoote; 02-10-2011 at 09:25 PM.

Nathan Cronin
    Answers Provided

Thanks Stuart,

I've upgraded to Parallels 6. The problem still occurs but i'm working on the printer issue. I have printers installed on this machine which i have used before but i don't own a printer and don't have one to hand. Do i need to have a printer installed, plugged in and working or if i just have a printer set up as a default printer, should that work? I currently have a Ricoh Afficio printer set as my default but that was a friends' printer which i don't have access to anymore.

Cheers,

Nathan

Nathan Cronin
    Answers Provided

Hi again Stuart,

I got my hands on a printer and got it set up and tested but still the same issue.

Any more ideas? is there a way i can make sure the data interoperability extension is not installed? i don't see it in the install options list but could it be installing anyways?

Cheers,

Nathan

V Stuart Foote

Answers Provided

Nathan,

You might go with one of the digital file format print drivers and print to Microsoft XPS or perhaps a PDF format (Ghost or Adobe). Just make sure it actually works then see if ArcMap will fully come up.

Data Interoperability is a separate install item from the install panel. You can run a command prompt as Administrator and issue this uninstall command.
    Code:
    msiexec.exe /X {A94E95FB-0E38-4E36-B5B7-0A2C3528ED34} /qb
    If not installed you'll get an error "only valid for installed products".
    Stuart
    Last edited by vsfoote; 02-11-2011 at 11:49 AM.

Nathan Cronin
    Answers Provided

Thanks Stuart for all the help.

I did try using an xps print driver and i did test it. Still the same response. I also ran the command you suggested and i did get the "only valid on installed products" response.

nathan

V Stuart Foote

Answers Provided

Nathan,

Probably not what you'll want to hear. But at this point I would go ahead and uninstall the ArcGIS Desktop 10 from the guest OS.

Then, I know you've probably already done some of them but, perform these actions:
    • Delete your per-user, %APPDATA%\ESRI folder
    • Set the Microsoft Windows components as your default "Program Access and Computer Defaults"
    • Apply any OS updates from Windows Update,
    • Apply MSXML4 SP3
    • expand RegistrySizeLimit to 0xffffffff
    • update graphics driver for the guest OS (although Parallels 6 should have pretty current drivers)
    • verify that you've got > OpenGL spec 2.0 using the RealtechVR OpenGL Viewer

Then try another install from the Desktop media. You can run from the splash panel (ESRI.exe), or run msiexec.exe from command line as administrator against just two .MSI packages starting with:
    1. sqlcli.msi in Desktop\support\SQlNative\32 or 64-bit
    2. setup.msi in Desktop
    Those are the only two you'll need, and with the command line msiexec.exe install you could log the installation (if you wanted). When the Desktop install finishes, the ArcGIS Administrator will start-up at the Desktop --> Authorization Wizard select Authorize Now as you've worked through before.

Then reboot!

Login to the guest OS, and launch ArcGIS Administrator. If that looks good and you show available seats, then launch ArcCatalog. Then try ArcMap. If they're both OK. Then download Desktop 10 SP1 from here. Apply it from an administrator command line with "msiexec.exe /update ArcGISDesktop10sp1.msp /qb".

Those steps should get you close to a native Windows installation into the Parallels guest OS.

Stuart
    Last edited by vsfoote; 02-11-2011 at 01:56 PM.

Nathan Cronin
    Answers Provided

Thanks Stuart. I'll work on that over the weekend and let you know how it works out.

Cheers,

Nathan

Nathan Cronin
    Answers Provided

Hi Stuart

I've got everything working now with just a minor problem. Which i can work around. It loads up... it just takes 20 minutes. The banner shows up for 15-20 minutes. It uses about 85Mb of memory and has the cpu at about 10-20% useage for the whole time then it just suddenly finishes loading up. It's a bit odd. Once it loads, it works just fine!

Ideas?

Nathan

V Stuart Foote

Answers Provided

Nathan,

Disable the search indexing, pause and set interval to a long time. See this thread.

And also apply Desktop SP1 if you have not yet. See if that improves the startup time.

Stuart

Tim Spivey
    Answers Provided

... folks using Apple products already have made the choice to forgo some measure of support in making their desktop computing choice.
    I had to chuckle. Stuart nicely sums up the feelings of loyal veteran Mac users mired in a "Windows-only" commercial software world.

Nathan Cronin
    Answers Provided

Thanks for all the help Stuart.

I hate to keep bugging you but do you have any more ideas on this? Your last suggestion didn't seem to change anything.

Bart Brown
    Answers Provided

Arc 10 works very well on Parallels 6.0/ Win XP except that I am now unable to open shapefiles from any attached drive/network except for those shapefiles located on VM C:/ Ironically I can access Rasters and mdb files on network drives without problem. Anyone have any ideas?

Gil Gonçalves
    Answers Provided

I d'ont have these problems. I'm also run arcgis 10 on mbp 13'' with parallels and winxp sp3.
    have you share your mac folder in parallels?

Gil

Bart Brown
    Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by gilrito View Post
    I d'ont have these problems. I'm also run arcgis 10 on mbp 13'' with parallels and winxp sp3.
    have you share your mac folder in parallels?

Gil
    It did work at one point but now it doesn't. Not sure what you refer to as "share". I can access my Mac folders, network drives and C: without problem. It only when adding shapefile from network that it fails but I can add geodatabase and raster from network.

Bart Brown
    Answers Provided

Problem solved.

Interestingly enough I was connecting to the server (on the Mac side) via AFS versus CIFS protocol. Once I switched an started using CIFS to connect, Arc now reads and opens shapefiles.

Thought I'd post for those that may run across same issue.

Peter Wilson
    Answers Provided

Lightbulb Re: How well does ArcGIS 10 work on Parallels?

Hi Everyone

I've started a Poll under the following link:http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/262...intosh-Version I would like to gather as many votes as possible for a ArcGIS Macintosh version, posting experiences, benchmarks and reasons for wanting to use Mac and not Windows. If past ArcView (Mac) and Workstation users (Unix) can comment on the stability, performance that was possible as oppose to ArcGIS windows. TIN's, Contours generate far quicker still in ArcView 3 than ArcGIS. Hope this helps highlight the need for a ArcGIS Macintosh version.

Regards
    Peter Wilson
    GIS Technologist
    Aurecon South Africa (Pty) Ltd

Leigh Holcombe
    Answers Provided

I have had success with multiple ArcGIS versions through Parallels on my Mac. The only problem I've had is that my Mac (a MacBook Pro from early 2006) runs extremely hot, and the Parallels VM causes it to overheat very quickly, even when using an external fan. This problem is eliminated by running Bootcamp.

Gerald Halmbacher
    Answers Provided

ArcGIS 10 runs very well in Windows 7 Professional 64 bit using VMWare Fusion 3.1.2 on a mid-2009 MacBook Pro 13" with 8 GB of ram (4GB ram dedicated to Windows).

Daniel Sheehan
    Answers Provided

Yo, use Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection for Mac, its FREEEE , just google it and you can find it, I use it everyday I work from home. The only thing I found is you have to create a command prompt-based reboot icon to reboot the computer remotely.

Quote Originally Posted by Tift_Tax View Post
    Stuart -
    Let me ask a related question.

Do you have any experience connecting remotely from a Mac to an XP machine that has ArcGIS 931 installed? Right now I use a G3 Pismo w. OS 10.2.8 but may move to a G4 laptop.

Also, any preferred way of connecting (eg "Go To My PC" or "PC Anywhere")?

Thanks.

Jill Onken
    Answers Provided

Stuart and others,

I just got a new MacBook Pro (2.3 GHz Dual-core Intel core i5; 4 GB RAM), and plan to run ArcGIS 10 on it. Previously, I was running 9.3 on a 4-year-old MacBook with Parallels 3. It was a bit sluggish, but functional.

I bought Fusion 3, but could exchange it for the newest Parallels software if that is a better option. I would appreciate advice on whether to go with Fusion or Parallels, and what settings to use to optimize performance. Any detailed input from those of you with experience running ArcGIS 10 on macs would be GREATLY appreciated!

Best wishes,
    Jill

University of Arizona, Geosciences

Tim Spivey
    Answers Provided

I've just got to say this ... ever since the late 1980s with "File Exchange" and "PC Exchange", Apple has taken the lead in cross-platform functionality.
    Perhaps Steve Jobs realized that his operating system was not the ONLY one in the world.

V Stuart Foote

Answers Provided

Tim,

Apple certainly produces a quality and proprietary product.

But, I'm not quite sure you can say that Apple
    has taken the lead in cross-platform functionality.
    If it were true, OS X and Aqua/Quartz would be fully open source, WINE would be fully implemented in OS X, and folks would not have to pay VMWare, Parallels or Innotek (now Oracle) for functionally viable OS X hosted Windows emulation.

And of course, more folks would be running OS X because while it is probably a better OS, System Management Controller would not have been implemented and we would no longer be limited by Apple's hardware monopolies and exorbitant or even extortive price points.

But we digress! Let's keep this thread on topic. Please.

Stuart
    Last edited by vsfoote; 06-07-2011 at 06:07 AM.

V Stuart Foote

Answers Provided

Jill,

You'll do well with either. But since you've already purchased it, just use Fusion.

However, read through threads in this general and in the installation & configuration forums on setting up ArcGIS 10 on Windows 7, e.g. check OpenGL support, set a RegistrySizeLimit, activate the Administrator account and install applications with that account.

You may have some bumps, but the Fusion forums will be helpful on specifics.

Performance will be an issue. If you have the option of staying with ArcGIS 9.3.1, you might consider that as an alternative to ArcGIS 10 Desktop. If performance is an issue and you must move to ArcGIS 10, you might want to consider a BootCamp based installation of Windows.

Stuart

Quote Originally Posted by JillO View Post
    Stuart and others,

I just got a new MacBook Pro (2.3 GHz Dual-core Intel core i5; 4 GB RAM), and plan to run ArcGIS 10 on it. Previously, I was running 9.3 on a 4-year-old MacBook with Parallels 3. It was a bit sluggish, but functional.

I bought Fusion 3, but could exchange it for the newest Parallels software if that is a better option. I would appreciate advice on whether to go with Fusion or Parallels, and what settings to use to optimize performance. Any detailed input from those of you with experience running ArcGIS 10 on macs would be GREATLY appreciated!

Best wishes,
    Jill

University of Arizona, Geosciences
    Last edited by vsfoote; 06-07-2011 at 06:04 AM.

Sally Hawkins
    Answers Provided

I have MacBookPro OS X 10.8.3 with Parallels 8 (had 7 and updated to try to solve problem). Nvidia graphics card will not kick in to the parallels configuration for Win7 (64 bit) hence ArcGIS 10.1.installs but hangs. ESRI Tech Support ran the configuration through analysis site that continues to say video card is inadequate, even though the Nvidia surpasses the requirements. The problem seems to be that the Mac's native video card is defaulting. Any ideas? We've tried numerous configurations on the Mac side to get this to switch. (power settings, etc.)

V Stuart Foote

Answers Provided

Sally,

Test from out of the VM with OpenGL Viewer from Realtech-VR ( http://www.realtech-vr.com/glview/download.php )--you need the Windows version, not the OSX version.

Also, are you able to put on a 32-bit Windows 7 Pro sp1 (or even a XP sp3) guest OS and see if that VM behaves better with ArcGIS 10.1?

Stuart

Sally Hawkins
    Answers Provided

Sally,

Test from out of the VM with OpenGL Viewer from Realtech-VR ( http://www.realtech-vr.com/glview/download.php )--you need the Windows version, not the OSX version.

Also, are you able to put on a 32-bit Windows 7 Pro sp1 (or even a XP sp3) guest OS and see if that VM behaves better with ArcGIS 10.1?

Stuart
    Stuart, I was able to download and run the open GL extension viewer in both the Mac Side and the Windows side which seemed to show similar OpenGL support in both platforms. Additionally, the viewer correctly recognized the Nvidia hardware from within the Windows virtual machine (Win7 Ultimate, 64 bit Sp1). I don't have ready access to any 32 bit system other than XP pro SerPack 0, but could probably get one if absolutely necessary.

If there is a standard process or configuration guideline that we could attempt with our 64 bit VM, prior to purchasing additional operating systems, we would greatly appreciate your guidance. We've found and followed various configurations; but none specifically for ArcGIS Desktop 10.1. Because I work with associates using 10.1, compatibility with this version is essential.

I have uploaded an attachment of the analysis done at the request of ESRI support; you can see that website's test fails with the graphics card requirements even though all aspects match or exceed the recommended specs. Following are results of the Open GL extension viewer:
    First as performed with the Mac version; then as performed in the Parallels VM using the Windows version:

OS X OpenGL extension viewer
    Renderer: NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M OpenGL Engine
    Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
    Memory: 512 MB
    Version: 2.1 NVIDIA-8.10.44 304.10.65f03
    Device: MacBookPro6,1
    Shading language version: 1.20

Max texture size: 8192 x 8192
    Max texture coordinates: 8
    Max vertex texture image units: 16
    Max texture image units: 16
    Max geometry texture units: 16
    Max anisotropic filtering value: 16
    Max number of light sources: 8
    Max viewport size: 8192 x 8192
    Max uniform vertex components: 4096
    Max uniform fragment components: 2048
    Max geometry uniform components: 2048
    Max varying floats: 60
    Max samples: 8
    Max draw buffers: 8

Windows Open GL extension Viewer Results:

Renderer: Parallels using NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M OpenGL Engine
    Vendor: Parallels and NVIDIA Corporation
    Memory: 256 MB
    Version: 2.1 NVIDIA-8.10.44 304.10.65f03
    Shading language version: 1.2

Max texture size: 8192 x 8192
    Max texture coordinates: 8
    Max vertex texture image units: 16
    Max texture image units: 16
    Max geometry texture units: 16
    Max anisotropic filtering value: 16
    Max number of light sources: 8
    Max viewport size: 8192 x 8192
    Max uniform vertex components: 4096
    Max uniform fragment components: 2048
    Max geometry uniform components: 2048
    Max varying floats: 60
    Max samples: 0
    Max draw buffers: 8
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-04-05 at 11.13.15 AM.jpg‎
Views:	56
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	24206  

Robert Borchert
    Answers Provided

Stuart,

If ESRI support and forums are so horrible why are you here?

For those who don't card what level of support ESRI provide I would say they are very much in the minority.

Jason,

All true, but who cares what level of support ESRI provides? Most substantive work on Apple OS X emulated environments is already done by the user community. We know that Parallels and Fusion are not supported configurations by ESRI technical support. These Forums, StackExchange, the Fusion and Parallels forums/blogs are working out the support not only for ArcGIS but many high end Windows based applications, as has always been done.

The Forum also knows that ESRI does support Bootcamp configurations to a degree, as in truth these systems become Windows Intel systems with a driver set provided by Apple for the Apple and Apple affiliate hardware.

The plain truth is that ArcGIS 10.0 and ArcGIS 9.3.1 run very well on Apple hardware under OS emulation or with native Windows OS configuration. Support--another issue but folks using Apple products already have made the choice to forgo some measure of support in making their desktop computing choice.

Stuart

V Stuart Foote

Answers Provided

Hi Robert,

Uh, seriously? Perhaps you would like to reconsider that, and READ the original response made in its context of the opening posts of this thread supporting an Apple system user (in January 2011) as made in response to an ill informed Esri employee forum participant who felt obliged to pipe in.

In the two ensuing years, not much has changed regards Esri's support of ArcGIS for Desktop on Apple hardware--they provide no official support for guest OS installations (VMWare Fusion or, Parallels), and limited support for Bootcamp based Windows installations on Apple hardware. Apple OSX users are left to their own devices, nothing new there.

Interesting in that there is ongoing testing of an ArcGIS Runtime SDK for OSX, but that is a long way removed from ArcGIS for Desktop for OSX, or meaningful Esri technical support for virtualized OSX hosted guest OS's.

As to my presence here I think I hold up my end of things reasonably well. ;-)

Stuart

V Stuart Foote

Answers Provided

Sally,
    Quote Originally Posted by RubyL00 View Post
    If there is a standard process or configuration guideline that we could attempt with our 64 bit VM, prior to purchasing additional operating systems, we would greatly appreciate your guidance.
    Unfortunately none exists, are you taking notes?
    A few questions regards your effort thus far and "ArcGIS 10.1.installs but hangs" result:
    1. Is your MBP a Retina display model?
    2. when you installed ArcGIS did you run the ESRI.exe launcher GUI, or did you run from a CLI?
    3. were installs (either GUI or CLI) "Run as Administrator".
    4. did you install the optional Data Interoperability extension?
    5. will ArcGIS Adminisrator launch?
    6. will ArcCatalog launch, but ArcMap fails?

Won't ask about ArcScene and ArcGlobe for now, but we'll have to get the 3D Analyst configured as well.

Stuart
    Last edited by vsfoote; 05-10-2013 at 12:55 PM.

Sally Hawkins
    Answers Provided

Sally,

Unfortunately none exists, are you taking notes?
    A few questions regards your effort thus far and "ArcGIS 10.1.installs but hangs" result:
    1. Is your MBP a Retina display model?
    2. when you installed ArcGIS did you run the ESRI.exe launcher GUI, or did you run from a CLI?
    3. were installs (either GUI or CLI) "Run as Administrator".
    4. did you install the optional Data Interoperability extension?
    5. will ArcGIS Adminisrator launch?
    6. will ArcCatalog launch, but ArcMap fails?

Won't ask about ArcScene and ArcGlobe for now, but we'll have to get the 3D Analyst configured as well

Stuart
    Stuart,
    My MBP is NOT a Retina display model.
    I installed ArcGIS by running ESRI.exe launcher GUI. I've tried 3 installations. I ran it as "Administrator" the final time. The first time I did not. (After the first installation, I used the uninstall utility; then re-installed; with the final installation I used a fresh VM that had not had any previous attempt at an install).
    I did NOT install the Data Interoperability extension during any installation.
    ArcCatalog hangs also. The Icon shows on the screen, but not in task manager; there are no cpu processes associated with it as it sits on the screen, and when rt. clk. the message is that it is "not responding".
    ArcGIS Administrator will not launch.

Morten Torchalla
    Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan.Cronin View Post
    Well i'm running an MPB 15" and have Windows XP installed under Parallels. I have installed ArcGIS 10 and cannot get it to run. It hangs after the banner comes up. All signs indicate it is the OpenGL 2.0 issue but i've confirmed that my driver is compliant so i'm dead in the water and still running my 9.3 ARc on an old PC. Not sure about Bootcamp but i'd be careful if you're running Parallels.
    Despite this posting is two years old, I had the same problem (All ArcGis Programs hang at ''Initializing License'') and finally found a solution for it. It has nothing to do with OpenGl. For some reason, Parallels is blocking the Licensing Software, FlexNet, from connecting to its Authorization server. Here is what to do:

If you did not activate ArcGis yet, delete the following files:
    C:\ProgramData\FLEXnet\adskflex_XXXXXXX_tsf.data
    C:\ProgramData\FLEXnet\adskflex_XXXXXXX_tsf.data_backup.001 (XXX.. stands for some number)
    (If you dont see this folders, you need to activate ''Show hidden Files'':
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...w-hidden-files

If its already activated, start here:
    Deactivate Share Windows Programs with Mac in Parallels (Virtual Machine/Configure/Programs)
    Deactivate Crystal Mode in Parallels (It should already be deactivated after deactivating Share Windows Programs with Mac)
    Now switch to Windows and Create a new User (Administrator!) called ''ArcGis'' in Control Center
    Log off the current account and log in to the User ''ArcGis''
    If you have not activated ArcGis yet, start ArcGis Administrator and activate it, it will work properly now.
    If its already activated, start ArcMap, it should start without any problems.

If you have further questions, feel free to contact me

Best Regards,
    Morten
    Last edited by moto3101; 06-02-2013 at 11:25 AM.

V Stuart Foote

Answers Provided

Morten,

You are correct, completing the installation and authorization of ArcGIS from an account with Windows "Administrators" group membership is necessary to fully initiate the FlexNet Publisher Trusted Storage license protection that Esri employs. Personally, I take the step of activating the Windows Administrator account on the VM and running installation from there. Done from a command window (cmd.exe) run as administrator with the command:
    Code:
    net user Administrator /Active:yes
    Log off, and then log in to the Administrator account, set a password for it before doing anything else.

Then perform the authorization (or reinstall) of ArcGIS onto the VM.

Unfortunately, in your example:
    If you did not activate ArcGis yet, delete the following files:
    C:\ProgramData\FLEXnet\adskflex_XXXXXXX_tsf.data
    C:\ProgramData\FLEXnet\adskflex_XXXXXXX_tsf.data_backup.001 (XXX.. stands for some number)
    (If you dont see this folders, you need to activate ''Show hidden Files'':
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...w-hidden-files
    the adskflex FlexNet Publisher trusted storage cache you have deleted was the licensing for your Autodesk AutoCAD software. Any Esri ArcGIS authorizations would be C:\ProgramData\FLEXnet\ARCGIS_xxxxxxxx_tsf.data and _backup.001

You'll have to reauthorize your AutoDesk products.

Stuart
    Last edited by vsfoote; 06-02-2013 at 07:16 PM.

V Stuart Foote

Answers Provided

Sally,

Sorry, forgot to check up on you.

Quote Originally Posted by RubyL00 View Post
    Stuart,
    My MBP is NOT a Retina display model.
    I installed ArcGIS by running ESRI.exe launcher GUI. I've tried 3 installations. I ran it as "Administrator" the final time. The first time I did not. (After the first installation, I used the uninstall utility; then re-installed; with the final installation I used a fresh VM that had not had any previous attempt at an install).
    I did NOT install the Data Interoperability extension during any installation.
    ArcCatalog hangs also. The Icon shows on the screen, but not in task manager; there are no cpu processes associated with it as it sits on the screen, and when rt. clk. the message is that it is "not responding".
    ArcGIS Administrator will not launch.
    Go ahead and run the ArcGIS Removal Tool from the installation media, or download a copy.

Then, clean the Windows registry of ArcGIS and Esri keys in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ESRI (launch regedit.exe, and navigate to the ESRI key, select delete from its context menu) and also from the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432\ESRI key.

Activate the Windows Administrator account--run a command window (cmd.exe) "run as administrator" and enter:
    Code:
    Log off, and back onto the VM using the Administrator account. Give it a password on first login <CTL><ALT><Del> -> "Change a password", or run lusrmgr.msc from the search and edit the properties in the Users panel.

Then from the Administrator account, run your installation using the ESRI.exe installer panel.

See if that gets you any further.

Stuart

Morten Torchalla
    Answers Provided

Morten,

You are correct, completing the installation and authorization of ArcGIS from an account with Windows "Administrators" group membership is necessary to fully initiate the FlexNet Publisher Trusted Storage license protection that Esri employs. Personally, I take the step of activating the Windows Administrator account on the VM and running installation from there. Done from a command window (cmd.exe) run as administrator with the command:
    Code:
    Log off, and then log in to the Administrator account, set a password for it before doing anything else.

Then perform the authorization (or reinstall) of ArcGIS onto the VM.

Unfortunately, in your example:

the adskflex FlexNet Publisher trusted storage cache you have deleted was the licensing for your Autodesk AutoCAD software. Any Esri ArcGIS authorizations would be C:\ProgramData\FLEXnet\ARCGIS_xxxxxxxx_tsf.data and _backup.001

You'll have to reauthorize your AutoDesk products.

Stuart
    Stuart,
    thank you for your quick response, you were right, the mentioned file needs to start with ''ARCGIS_''

Best Regards
    Morten

Sally Hawkins
    Answers Provided

Smile Re: How well does ArcGIS 10 work on Parallels?

Well, I was able to follow the instructions for "already activated", all my Mac VM settings were already in place, however I was unable to delete the primary license file; I received the message that it was in use by "ArcGIS.exe". I went ahead and set up the Windows 7 ArcGIS administrator's account AND I WAS ABLE to open the ArcMap software. (THANK YOU!!) My ArcGIS Administrator shows my availability in all of my licensed extensions. I will have to access projects to know whether I have more problems, BUT this is the best news I've had in weeks.

I really appreciate this forum.

V Stuart Foote

Answers Provided

Sally,

Glad you're getting it sorted. However, the Administrator account is a Windows superuser account, not specifically an ArcGIS account. It is good it is working for you on the VM, but be aware that it has permissions such that any malware or corruption introduced in that account can totally compromise the guest VM, and potentially the host OSX.

If possible, work some more with the original user account on the VM and see if it is now functional with ArcGIS, running ArcMap/ArcCatalog and ArcGIS Administrator, having completed the licensing actions with the other Windows VM Administrator account.

You may find that deleting the user profile and allowing it to rebuild is the simplest action, although you can manually clean up the user profile (i.e. in the Windows registry, and the user account %APPDATA% and %USERPROFILE%\Documents).

Stuart
    Last edited by vsfoote; 06-04-2013 at 09:27 AM.

Frank De Rubeis
    Answers Provided

I am having trouble viewing files in ArcDesktop and ArcCatalog that are on a networked computer. I am running Windows 8 in Parallels Desktop 9 on an iMac. What is interesting is that I can navigate to the files via Windows File explorer, but can't see them in any Arc GIS programs. Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast