+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to create an editable Layer?

Scott Joseph
    Answers Provided

Default How to create an editable Layer?

Hello everyone,

I'm quite new to ArcGIS and ArcMap, and am trying to learn the basics. One thing that has me stumped, however, is making a layer editable so I can create features. I have no problems with the tutorial data, but when I go to do it on my own, I do not know how to make a layer editable. Maybe I'm making the layer wrong? I right click on "Layers" in my Table of Contents, and click on "Create New Group Layer". However, I can't even find the symbology tab for said layer, it's simply not there. When I click on "Start Editing" for the editor toolbar, I'm told there are no editable layers. Anybody who can help, or just point me in the right direction, is greatly appreciated.

Robert Reabe
    Answers Provided

Default Re: How to create an editable Layer?

If your trying to make a editable shapefile there is two ways to do that. One is from the Catalog, right click in the folder you want to put it in, select new and you will see all different items you can create like Geodatabase, layer, shapefile or table. If you want a shapefile, select that then name it, select the type of feature and select the coordinate system and hit OK. The other way to create a shapefile if you already have some graphics drawn, you select them all and then in the Table of Contents right click Layers and select convert graphics to features.

Scott Joseph
    Answers Provided

Thank you very much Piper. I've been searching for hours in the help file and online, and those simple instructions were all I needed. Thanks.

Robert Reabe
    Answers Provided

The online help and the built in help will explain a very complicated way of doing something and usually does not work, like it was written for another version. When you figure out how to do it, you wonder why didn't they say this in the first place, its so simple.

Scott Joseph
    Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by piper18 View Post
    The online help and the built in help will explain a very complicated way of doing something and usually does not work, like it was written for another version. When you figure out how to do it, you wonder why didn't they say this in the first place, its so simple.
    Yes, the help files did seem very complicated, but now that you've shown me how to do these things it's extremely easy.

+ Reply to Thread