+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to borrow license from work to home

Tim Goddard
    Answers Provided

Default How to borrow license from work to home

I am at an academic institution and am a staff member. I have ArcGIS Desktop 10 licensed through a license server on the university network for concurrent use. Its my understanding that I can borrow my office license to take home and use on a separate home PC. How do I setup up the arcgis desktop and License manager on the home machine to do this? All the help files seem to be more for laptops going of a network and still being able to work. Or it is unclear how to transer licenses between license servers if one is on network and the other is not? Any clarification would be appreciated.

Tim

V Stuart Foote

Answers Provided

Default Re: How to borrow license from work to home

Tim,

That is not exactly how the ESRI activation and license borrowing works--there is no derivative activation or license pool transfers. All activations pass through ESRIs FlexNet License servers. But, there are several ways to do what you need.

The simplest would be to have one of your schools ESRI GIS analysts or your Primary Contact log into the Customer Service Portal and create a .prvs authorization file for a single seat of ArcGIS 10 Concurrent use, or a .prvc for a single seat of ArcGIS Single Use. The PRVS/PRVC authorization file (composed of your schools registration numbers for each licensed component--EFL & ESU) is then distributed as needed. One of the files would be used during authorization of your install on your work at home PC. Chances are someone at school has already created them and you just need to ask the right person to obtain either file. You could also just use a listing of your schools EFL or ESU codes but would have to manually enter each of them when running the authorization wizard--the PRVS/PRVC just consolidates them.

If you went with the Concurrent seat, you'd first have to install the ArcGIS 10 License Manager (e.g. FlexNet Publisher)on your PC at home. The PRVS file would then be used to activate the license pool via a FlexNet Publisher exchange with ESRI FlexNet license servers, then you'd install ArcGIS 10 and use the localhost for your floating license.

Whereas if you choose the Single Use seat, you'd install ArcGIS 10, and use the PRVC file to activate the seat, again via FlexNet Publisher exchange with ESRI.

The "exchanges" with ESRI are via TSL/SSL HTTP on port 443. Nothing exotic. Each authorization code sent is validated and if accepted an entitlement token is returned to your system. True for either the EFL or ESU codes--and once activated there is no more contact needed with ESRI.

On the other hand, to "Borrow" a license, you will initially need network connectivity to a license pool at your school. This can be via VPN, or you would have to bring your PC to campus and connect.

The ArcGIS installation is then just like any other installation. You complete the activation/authorization--but just by pointing to the license pool--there is no exchange with ESRI.

Only when that is done and the installation complete, you would use the ArcGIS Adminsitrator Desktop --> Borrow/Return and checkout the components you need. The license pool gets decremented for each component you choose to borrow, and will remain decremented until you return the license or the period expires.

The PC can then be removed from the network and taken home, and you'll have license to use until the end of the borrow period (30 days by default). So, you can see that borrowing is really a bit of a hassle. Frankly, the single use or concurrent use w/License Manager install are much simpler since they would normally remain valid until your annual license renewal date. At which point you'd use a new set of PRVC/PRVS or EFL/ESU codes to renew the license.

Note: the administrator of the license server pool or whomever generates the PRVC/PRVS can specify the length of the borrow or the expiration date of the authorization files. And, that license borrowing can be completely disabled on the license servers. When the borrow expires, or the authorization expires, ArcGIS will stop functioning.

Borrowing is probably not going to be what you want to try to work with.

Stuart
    Last edited by vsfoote; 02-22-2011 at 04:26 PM.

If a post is helpful, or answers your question, or simply annoys you because it is WRONG please use the voting tools on the right side to help identify quality content on the Forum.

Systems Analyst - Geological Sciences
    The University of Texas at San Antonio
    Classroom & Research support
    Adobe, AutoDesk, ESRI, ERDAS, ESI, Exelis Visual, IHS, Mathworks, Oracle, SAS Inst, Schlumberger, Seismic Micro-Technology, Trimble, Wolfram

Tim Goddard
    Answers Provided

Smile Re: How to borrow license from work to home

Thank you that clarifies that a bit more. We are using the concurrent licensing. I will play a bit and see if I can get this to do what i need. Thank you for your time and thorough answer.

Tim

james armstrong
    Answers Provided

As a follow up question to this thread, is there a method by which a license can be "borrowed" by not connecting to the network on whch the license manager is operating. I am thinking of an email style authorization(for some other method in which the licenes is handed off via a txt file or the such. The reason I am asking this is that we have a secure network inwhich connecting laptops and such is not an easy thing to do and in fact is not looked nicely upon. Any advice or suggection would be helpful.

thanks James

V Stuart Foote

Answers Provided

James,

Not that I am aware of. In this case you would need to activate/authorize a Single Use seat, or a Concurrent use seat for a license manager, using an offline response file generated via an email exchange.

At the end of installation, look for the "Authorize at ESRI’s Website or by email to receive your authorization file" when running the Authorization Wizard.

While you can transfer a license from one license manager to another across a local network, and you can borrow when the license manager has a network connection to the client, you can not borrow from a local license pool without a network.

See the License Manager help http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/...0000005000000/ or the Desktop Installation guide http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/...000005v000000/ for details on either option.

Stuart

If a post is helpful, or answers your question, or simply annoys you because it is WRONG please use the voting tools on the right side to help identify quality content on the Forum.

Systems Analyst - Geological Sciences
    The University of Texas at San Antonio
    Classroom & Research support
    Adobe, AutoDesk, ESRI, ERDAS, ESI, Exelis Visual, IHS, Mathworks, Oracle, SAS Inst, Schlumberger, Seismic Micro-Technology, Trimble, Wolfram

+ Reply to Thread