+ Reply to Thread

Thread: can't install ArcView 3.3 in Windows 7 (32 bit)

Joyu Liu
    Answers Provided

Default can't install ArcView 3.3 in Windows 7 (32 bit)

I'm trying to install the ArcView3.3 on my laptop.
    After clicking the setup.exe , it shows "This program can not be installed on a Windows3.51 operating system."

is there any solutions?

thanks!!

Joyu

John Sobetzer

Answers Provided

I found that 3x can be installed on a 32 bit Windows 7 if you right click on the setup exe (Properties - Compatibility) and set it to run as an administrator and run in Windows XP SP3 compatibility mode.

Answers Provided

Default Re: can't install ArcView 3.3 in Windows 7 (32 bit)

Hello,

just install on a WindowsXP-Machine and copy the whole program-folder to the Windows7-Machine. Works fine also with 64bit-Machines.

Andre

John Sobetzer

Answers Provided

I can't make that work. Some of the exes will run but not arcview.exe. I've seen instructions for doing something similar but which required copying some other files and some registry entries such as the process stated here: http://gisteamz.blogspot.com/2009/07...ws-wp-x64.html or here on ESRI's site: http://forums.esri.com?Thread.asp?c=3&f=42&t=204156 but these are both for XP 64. Since I have an XP that is running 3.3 just fine I can skip the hassle of moving the program over but for those who can't they could try the copy approach (but back up the registry if one starts messing around in it), although at least XP Mode is there if the copy fails.

Ming-Chieh Lee
    Answers Provided

Lightbulb Re: can't install ArcView 3.3 in Windows 7 (32 bit)

Quote Originally Posted by johns View Post
    I can't make that work. Some of the exes will run but not arcview.exe. I've seen instructions for doing something similar but which required copying some other files and some registry entries such as the process stated here: http://gisteamz.blogspot.com/2009/07...ws-wp-x64.html or here on ESRI's site: http://forums.esri.com?Thread.asp?c=3&f=42&t=204156 but these are both for XP 64. Since I have an XP that is running 3.3 just fine I can skip the hassle of moving the program over but for those who can't they could try the copy approach (but back up the registry if one starts messing around in it), although at least XP Mode is there if the copy fails.
    I just successfully installed ArcView GIS 3.3 on my Windows 7 x64 Desktop which has 12 GB RAM.
    You can do that by following below steps:
    1. Install ArcView GIS 3.3 under your Windows 7 XP Model, or any x86 Windows XP/7 in "C:\ESRI" (or alternatives).
    2. Copy C:\ESRI\AV_GIS30 and C:\ESRI\ESRIDATA from source PC to the same folder on your destination PC.
    3. Copy C:\Program Files\Common Files\ESRI from source PC to C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\ESRI on your destination PC.
    4. If you didn't install any other ESRI/ArcGIS product on the destination PC, you might want to copy the ESRI fonts from source PC and install that. The font could be:
    esri_1.ttf, esri_2.ttf, esri_3.ttf, esri_4.ttf, esri_5.ttf, esri_6.ttf, esri_7.ttf, esri_8.ttf, esri_9.ttf, esri_155.ttf.
    5. To make a shortcut of C:\ESRI\AV_GIS30\ARCVIEW\BIN32\arcview.exe on either Desktop or Start menu. Or you can copy the menu folder "ArcView GIS 3.3" under "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\ESRI\" from source PC to "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\ArcGIS" on destination PC.
    6. Now you are all set and you can click "ArcView GIS 3.3" shortcut to play it!

Cheers!

John Pritchard
    Answers Provided

Thank you for this advice, worked well for me

Answers Provided

Thanks, you guys really help me

+ Reply to Thread