+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Travel distance between two addresses

Barry Durand
    Answers Provided

Default Travel distance between two addresses

My apologies for posting this in multiple forums but I was not sure where to post it.
    I am very new to GIS - 3 weeks.

After over a week of fighting with it, I have figured out how to find the "as the crow flies" distance between two addresses.

I have written up instructions on how to do it. If anyone needs these instructions, just contact me and I will send them to you.

Now what I need to do, is something similar but get route distance (via roads) and if possible route time. This needs to be done in a many-to-one address relationship. For example, I need to find out how far driving distance it is from multiple specific addresses (which will be geocoded) to one specific address. More specific example, I need to know how far it will be for specific people to drive to a hospital or something similar. FYI, can't really use nearest facility because the destination address will be specified.

I have been looking for something similar to PointDistance_analysis but I can not find anything. Is what I am trying to do even possible? Is there a function similar to PointDistance_analysis or will it be much more complicated, as it looks like it may. If there is a function what is it? If it will be more complicated, a link to an example or something similar would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Barry
    Barry Durand
    UA School of Social Work
    bpdurand@sw.ua.edu

Alan Hatakeyama
    Answers Provided

Default Re: Travel distance between two addresses

Hi Barry,

Welcome to the world of GIS!

Quote Originally Posted by bpdurand View Post
    Now what I need to do, is something similar but get route distance (via roads) and if possible route time. This needs to be done in a many-to-one address relationship. For example, I need to find out how far driving distance it is from multiple specific addresses (which will be geocoded) to one specific address. More specific example, I need to know how far it will be for specific people to drive to a hospital or something similar. FYI, can't really use nearest facility because the destination address will be specified.

I have been looking for something similar to PointDistance_analysis but I can not find anything. Is what I am trying to do even possible? Is there a function similar to PointDistance_analysis or will it be much more complicated, as it looks like it may. If there is a function what is it? If it will be more complicated, a link to an example or something similar would be appreciated.
    You can perform a Closest Facility analysis in ArcGIS Network Analyst to perform this. The Closest Facility solver is pretty much the route distance equivalent to PointDistance_analysis -- below are their equivalents:
    - Incidents = in_features of PointDistance_analysis
    - Facilities = near_features of PointDistance_analysis
    - Cutoff = search_radius of PointDistance_analysis

You can specify your "many" as your Incidents, and your "one" as the Facility, and it will find that one facility as the closest (as only one exists). The distances and travel times you get back are the distances and drive times along the network you use as input.

If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask. You also may want to ask questions regarding Network Analyst in the Network Analyst forum.

Alan

Barry Durand
    Answers Provided

Default Re: Travel distance between two addresses

Thank you very much. I will look into this.
    Barry Durand
    UA School of Social Work
    bpdurand@sw.ua.edu

+ Reply to Thread