+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Legend Limiter in Arc 10

Maggie Mayer
    Answers Provided

Post Legend Limiter in Arc 10

I have managed to get the Legend Limiter I used 9.3.1 to work in Arc 10.
    Install Legend Limiter as before, you will notice nothing seems to happen.
    Then go to:
    C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Desktop10.0\Bin\Categories.exe (Component Category Manager)
    In this window click on the button Category Importer...
    The LegendLimter.dll should be visible. Check the box and then Apply Changes.

Now you can add the Legend Limiter button in ArcMap from the customize tool.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by MaggieMayer; 03-03-2011 at 01:59 AM.

Answers Provided

Red face Re: Legend Limiter in Arc 10

YOU DESERVE AN AWARD!!!! My projects were taking so much longer to complete when I upgraded and lost this extension. Thank you so much.

3. 05-06-2011 09:13 AM

Anthony Brigantic
    Answers Provided

Default Re: Legend Limiter in Arc 10

Quote Originally Posted by MaggieMayer View Post
    I have managed to get the Legend Limiter I used 9.3.1 to work in Arc 10.
    Install Legend Limiter as before, you will notice nothing seems to happen.
    Then go to:
    C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Desktop10.0\Bin\Categories.exe (Component Category Manager)
    In this window click on the button Category Importer...
    The LegendLimter.dll should be visible. Check the box and then Apply Changes.

Now you can add the Legend Limiter button in ArcMap from the customize tool.

Hope this helps.
    ANY SUGGESTIONS ON WHY I DONT SEE THE LEGENDLIMITER.DLL IN THE COMPONENT CATEGORY MANAGER?? I CANT GET THE LEGEND LIMITER TO LOAD INTO ARC 10. THANKS ANTHONY.

Dean Carstens
    Answers Provided

Thumbs up Re: Legend Limiter in Arc 10

Maggie, you're a legend. Excuse that terrible pun, but I've been looking high and low for this workaround. Great job.

I see Esri doesn't support this workaround, but hey, if it works, I'm happy.

Dean

Robert Jensen
    Answers Provided

@MaggieMayer, thanks for posting this, I got it to work in Arc10 also.. Unfortunately, it doesn't work with the map books application (ArcGIS 10 "Data Driven Pages"), which would have been most helpful to me..

@abrig05, I don't know if this matters or not, but I placed and registered the dll in the Desktop10/Bin/ directory..

scott lane
    Answers Provided

Has anyone had any success using this with data driven pages?

david metzler
    Answers Provided

Greetings friends,
    I am currently attempting to install legend limiter onto a windows machine and am running into some problems. i have followed the steps outlined above to great success however when I follow them on this machine I keep running into the same problems. I believe the problem happens at the actual install of the tool. I have attached a couple of screenshots of the errors I am getting.
    Any insight into this problem would be greatly appreciated and have a great day.
    Thanks,
    Dave
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	WTF image.png‎
Views:	393
Size:	10.3 KB
ID:	9507  

Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by dmetzler View Post
    Greetings friends,
    I am currently attempting to install legend limiter onto a windows machine and am running into some problems. i have followed the steps outlined above to great success however when I follow them on this machine I keep running into the same problems. I believe the problem happens at the actual install of the tool. I have attached a couple of screenshots of the errors I am getting.
    Any insight into this problem would be greatly appreciated and have a great day.
    Thanks,
    Dave
    I had exactly the same error message when trying to get Legendlimiter working in ArcGIS 10 on my machine (Windows 7) and it would not appear in Category Importer...

Well, i don't really know much on how work libraries, but i just try to paste Legendlimiter.dll in the bin directory. Then, in Arcgis I went to (I'm working with a french version so I better stay with the french instead of translating in the wrong way) :

Personnaliser > Mode personnalisation > Commande > Ajouter depuis un fichier > [ArcGIS> Desktop 10.0> bin> Legendlimiter.dll] ok
    Then Legendlimiter appears in the list and can be ticked and added in the toolbar.

It seems to work though i've just test it quickly there is at least one bug. An error message appears : "Error(RemoveUnwantedRenderedClasses)ln 484". But when I press ok, it removes accurately from the list the classes that do not appear on ne lay page.

It is not perfect but it does the trick as I hoped.

Nicolas
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	error_legend_limiter.png‎
Views:	220
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	9669  

Ian Johnson
    Answers Provided

I think I took a bit of a different approach and it is working well in Arc 10.
    1. I installed the LegendLimiter registry files and then opened ArcMap,
    2. customized toolbars options,
    3. clicked the "add from file..." button, and
    4. directed it to the .dll for the legend limiter

Is this effectively the same thing as directed above?

Ian

Joseph Miller
    Answers Provided

thanks to everyone that has contributed so far to this thread. I was wondering if anyone knows how to do what you describe in v9.3.1?

I can see the Customization and the Add from File button, I've also found the Categories application in the BIN directory. However, when I try to do the same things that everyone describes my ArcMap 9.3.1 still refuses to display the Legend Limiter.

Any tips, suggestions?

richard elliott
    Answers Provided

i just got it working in Window 7.
    Right click on arcmap shortcut - Properties - Compatibility - check the "run this program in compatibility mode" -
    now load legend limiter. the problem is you will loose any server links, so once its loaded follow the above process and uncheck the box and it should all work as before.

now to get the text return one to work?

Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by rich197575 View Post
    Right click on arcmap shortcut - Properties - Compatibility - check the "run this program in compatibility mode" -
    now load legend limiter. the problem is you will loose any server links, so once its loaded follow the above process and uncheck the box and it should all work as before.

You are the man!. This is the only suggestion that worked for me.

Tim Hughes
    Answers Provided

Unhappy Re: Legend Limiter in Arc 10

Hi Guys,

I have managed to install the Legend Limiter. Although when ticked it limits the ToC legend, it does not seem to do anything to the actual layout legend :-S Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Oh, and I am running this on ArcGIS10.

Any help, would be much appreciated.

Tim Hughes
    Answers Provided

Cool Re: Legend Limiter in Arc 10

No worries, just needed to tick off/on the layer in the legend and then it updates.....

Tim

Christopher Stebbins
    Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by rich197575 View Post

In the Arc10 shortcut properties, and after checking Run this Program in Compatibility Mode, which operating system should we choose, the current one or an older one? I'm running Windows 7.

I have the toolbar up and checked on, but the legend is not updating.

+ Reply to Thread