+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Automated Windows EC2 backups

Stuart Mitchell
    Answers Provided

Question Automated Windows EC2 backups

Hi,

We've got the AGS10 and Postgres AMIs working fine, and in tandem. We're looking at backup strategy. I want to be able to automate backup on a daily basis. I've been through the AMI API tools and using ec2-bundle-vol to create AMIs automatically, but this API is only available for Unix. I've run it through Cygwin, though, and it works, but it feels a very unwieldy way of doing it.

Effectively we want to be able to mimic Elasticfox's 'create image' function. I've got scripts that can take down and boot up instances extgernally.

Does ESRI have a recommended Windows AGS10 (+ EBS volumes) backup strategy? I want to be able to prove it works by (manually) recovering quickly from a backup.

Help would be much appreciated

Thanks
    Stu

Christopher Jennings
    Answers Provided

Default Re: Automated Windows EC2 backups

The manual way of backing up from the AWS console is to right-click on the running instance and select Create Image, which will automatically bundle your EBS volumes as well. I haven't looked for its equivalent in the API, but at least it will give you your first AMI to test with.

Stuart Mitchell
    Answers Provided

Thanks for the reply. I've actually created a number of AMIs manually - this way and using ElasticFox - but what I want to do is to have them be created automatically. Restoring from an AMI is simple, so it seems the obvious way to do it.

The Amazon AMI API has a number of functions that will do the equivalent of this, but they're Linux/Unix only (whereas the EC2 API has Windows scripts too). So I was looking for some pointers on how to script this automatically.

How do other organisations back up their cloud-based installations of ArcGIS Server?

Owen Evans
    Answers Provided

Hi Stu,

You can do this through scripting the EC2 command line tools. Here are links to two posts on the ArcGIS Server blog that have some information on scripting commands using the EC2 API that you can review:
    Using the concepts described in the blog posts you can schedule the ec2-create-snapshot command to create your snapshot backups at the schedule of your choosing. (The tools referenced in the blog posts will run on Windows.)

Hope this helps!
    Owen
    ==================
    Owen Evans | Solutions Engineer
    Esri - Washington, DC

Stuart Mitchell
    Answers Provided

Hi Owen

Thanks for the reply. Actually I was looking at creating them as bundles, rather than as snapshots, just for ease on spinning them back up. There are a few scripts on doing it as snapshots, and I think it looks like I should go down that route rather than using the AMI API.

Thanks Owen!

Stu

Uri Wolloch
    Answers Provided

A new backup and recovery solution for EC2 is available. Cloud Protection Manager (CPM) will allow you to automate backup of EC2 instances and EBS volumes. It has many features, including application support for Windows servers using VSS, automatic retention management (deletion of old snapshots) and powerful recovery options.
    CPM is now offered as a free beta, for more details see: http://www.n2ws.com

Uri Wolloch
    Answers Provided

For full disclosure, I'm the CTO of N2W Software, the author of CPM

+ Reply to Thread