+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Build errors in Network Dataset

Isabel McLoughlin
    Answers Provided

Default Build errors in Network Dataset

I am trying to create a network of paths/trails/roads, villages and mine sites. I am creating a service area network analysis based on Pedestrian travel time to mine sites. I have creaded evaluators that have a hierarchy of roads based on type of road and another attribute of Pedestrian Travel time that is a cost attribute based on the length of the road.
    I keep receiving build errors when I try to build the network, the text file of errors lists point locations of mines and villages and says "standalone user-defined junction is detected". What does this mean?
    Is there an attribute for the point files that I am missing?

Help!
    Isabel

Alan Hatakeyama
    Answers Provided

Default Re: Build errors in Network Dataset

Hi Isabel,

A standalone junction is a junction that doesn't connect to any edges. This means that you cannot get to anywhere from that junction, which is why it's flagged as an error during the build. Standalone junctions usually occur when a point feature in your feature class isn't coincident with any line features.

Looking at the scenario you're trying to solve, it looks like your villages and mine sites are seed points from where you intend to perform your service area analysis, instead of as connectors of edges (like intersections to connect streets, or transit terminals to connect walkways to rail lines). So you should NOT add these points as sources in your network dataset and should leave them out. Instead, these points should be loaded in as Facilities in your Service Area analysis layer.

Alan

3. 06-13-2011 05:00 AM

+ Reply to Thread