+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Symbol Selector - Can't Access Index Database

Tom McClintock
    Answers Provided

Default Symbol Selector - Can't Access Index Database

When I try to search in the Symbol Selector dialog window I get the message "Can't Access Index Database" I have 4 other computers running ArcGIS 10 with service pack 1 and have no problem. I have administrative rights as well. What file stores the symbol selector index database? I am tempted to reinstall ArcGIS to fix this.
    Thanks

Don Waldo
    Answers Provided

Default Re: Symbol Selector - Can't Access Index Database

I'm having the same problem on multiple machines, haven't figured out what is causing it yet. Hope someone figures it out and posts back.

Ann O'Sullivan
    Answers Provided

Same problem for me though yesterday it was all working fine! I opened a file previously saved in ArcGIS 8.3, and I cannot now access any symbols. I did locate where "styles" are stored on my C Drive (for me it's under ArcGIS10 in my "Program Files") but connecting to the styles did not help.

Anyone know how to reconnect with the Symbols???

Thomas Herrick
    Answers Provided

That'll make four of us. Perhaps someone from the company will have a clue they wish to share.

Luke Savage
    Answers Provided

Has anyone figured this out yet? It's very annoying to say the least.

Brian Andersen
    Answers Provided

Exclamation Re: Symbol Selector - Can't Access Index Database

This is happening for every windows user on 2 of our machines as well. we have Service PAck 2 installed

Patrick Taurman

Answers Provided

If you are using Windows 7 this may be NIM061450. Try granting full control to the Windows user to C:\ProgramData\ESRI\Desktop10.0\ArcMap and all its subfolders and files.

Patrick

Miles Wacker
    Answers Provided

This issue appears on Windows XP as well, but for this directory:
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\ESRI\Desktop10.0\ArcMap

It appears the first user to access the index essentially takes ownership and all other users on the same pc will not be able to search the symbols unless the index is opened to all users.

Steven Cummings
    Answers Provided

I too am having the same problem with the symbol selector index. I have had the problem for the last 2.5 months. I look forward to the solution.

Answers Provided

Even if you are an administrator on the machine, you need to grant yourself as user full control to:
    C:\ProgramData\ESRI\Desktop10.0\ArcMap\styles_idx.dat
    (right click | Properties | Security)

Travis Engstrom
    Answers Provided

Thumbs up Re: Symbol Selector - Can't Access Index Database

karstmap-

Thanks for the fix. Worked like a charm! One of my user profiles on my machine did not have full access. Once I enabled full access on all user profiles it started working immediately.

Michael Palmer
    Answers Provided

Smile Re: Symbol Selector - Can't Access Index Database

I apologize for replying so late to this thread, but I thought I would provide some insight to this very similar issue I experienced. This is primarily for those in a corporate network environment. I was provided administrative rights to my system to install and customize my ArcGIS Desktop 10 setup. I saw symbols in the symbol selector with no problem for a month then, without warning, no symbols with “could not connect to database” messages. The network administrators turned my administrative rights off after 30 days (standard policy). This changed my access rights to my symbol folder mentioned here earlier. After many trials and errors, they gave me administrative rights specifically to that folder and I have not had any troubles since. I hope this can help others experiencing this within a strict network environment.

Graeme Browning
    Answers Provided

If you want to see these symptoms appear try having two ArcMap 10.0 (have not tested this at 10.1 yet) instances open at the same time. In one you will be able to use the Symbol Selector to look for and find marker symbols with "dip" in their name but the same search in the other may result in the "Cannot access index database" error. The odd thing is that this issue seems to sometimes "self correct" i.e. started to work without me doing any changes to permissions as indicated above.

Upshot is if you see this issue one thing to try is closing all but one ArcMap instances and then it should work fine.

Jacek Scibek
    Answers Provided

Same problem with 10.1 (since upgrading from 10.0 which worked good on my computer).

IT depth is working on this and ESRI tech support helping, but so far nothing works.

What I know:

there is supposed to be some index file in here (xxxxx is user name):
    C:\Users\xxxxxx\AppData\Roaming\ESRI\Desktop10.1\ArcMap\styles_idx

there is nothing here... but other 10.1 users have 2 files here:
    xxxxxx.ldb
    xxxxxx.style
    (where xxxxxx is the user name)

Why my ArcGIS doesn't create anything like this I can't tell. I tried borrowing and renaming these files but doesn't help.

Style files (they are basically MS Access databases but with .style extensions):

C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.1\Styles

Other uses of 10.1 don't have this folder. It appears only when you try to find a style in symbology menu. The Styles manager window shows blank frames, but style files do exist. There is some issue with index. I did look into permissions, Access db references, libraries, etc. Reinstalled few times ArcGIS (repaird did not work) but nothing new. Same problem.

So far the problem persists. It is specific so some computer settings (other users run same Windows 7 on same Dell computers here) and we all install from same ArcGIS install pack. So, short of changing my computer or not using ArcGIS on this computer, I don't have any solution yet.

+ Reply to Thread