+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Error 1606: Could not access Network Location NULLDesktop10.0.

sadie lloyd
    Answers Provided

Default Error 1606: Could not access Network Location NULLDesktop10.0.

I'm trying to install my 180-day trial version of Desktop 10. It was sent to me directly from ESRI. I keep getting this message:

Error 1606: Could not access Network Location NULLDesktop10.0.

My registry keys are all good. I have tried everything and nothing works. Please help!

sadie lloyd
    Answers Provided

Default Re: Error 1606: Could not access Network Location NULLDesktop10.0.

I should add that It is ArcGIS 10 and I'm using Windows 7.

V Stuart Foote

Answers Provided

Sadie,

The Error 1606, and the NULLDesktop10.0 suggest that a path Environment for your installation account (HKCU) or your system (HKLM) is corrupt. The ArcGIS 10 Desktop program installation goes into C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Desktop10.0 so the NULL may be the C:\Program Files\ArcGIS which should be setup as the installation package is parsed by the MSIEXEC. Activation and authorization components are dropped into the C:\Program Files\Common Files\ArcGIS\bin folder--so those components are not likely the direct problem.

Note that the paths would be C:\Program Files (x86) for 64-bit Windows 7.

Any chance you are you attempting the installation from an account without Administrators group membership, and are having ACL folder and file write permission issues?

Check these for the account you are trying to install from:

What does echo %APPDATA% entered in a command window return?

What does echo %USERPROFILE%\AppData entered in a command window return?

Have a read of Microsoft KB 886549 here. Check to be sure none of your User Shell Folders are off standard. For the install account, you'd be looking in:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders
    You might back up the registry keys, and then try running the 50356 Fix-It linked from the KB 886549 from both your user account and also the Administrator account (from a "Run as Administrator" launched command window) and see if that clears things.

If you verify the User Shell Folders keys are correct, then the next step may be a manual command line installation with verbose logging to see just what is failing during install.

Post back if that is unclear, or if you have any questions.

Stuart
    Last edited by vsfoote; 03-29-2011 at 09:23 PM.

If a post is helpful, or answers your question, or simply annoys you because it is WRONG please use the voting tools on the right side to help identify quality content on the Forum.

Systems Analyst - Geological Sciences
    The University of Texas at San Antonio
    Classroom & Research support
    Adobe, AutoDesk, ESRI, ERDAS, ESI, Exelis Visual, IHS, Mathworks, Oracle, SAS Inst, Schlumberger, Seismic Micro-Technology, Trimble, Wolfram

sadie lloyd
    Answers Provided

Thanks for your response. I ran the fix it program before I did anything else and restarted the computer and I still had the problem. I manually checked all the user shell files also.

%APPDATA% in the command window returns this: 'C:\Users\Sade\AppData\Roaming' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

%USERPROFILE%\AppData came back with the same response.

I am using windows 7 and I don't know how to see if my normal account is the administrator account. There is only one user profile on the computer.

sadie lloyd
    Answers Provided

I just realized I was supposed to put echo before the appdata in the command window. When I did that I got:

c:\users\sade\appdata\roaming

and

C:\users\sade\appdata

V Stuart Foote

Answers Provided

Sadie,

Be sure to run the installation as administrator. When you insert the DVD don't use the Setup.exe panel that comes up from the autorun.

Rather, use Windows Explorer and navigate to the DVD's folder. Then <right-mouse> on the Setup.exe. Select the "Run as Administrator".

That will bypass UAC and ensure that the Setup.exe installer has the permissions it needs.

Give that a try and see if you make it past the Error 1606.

If that still is not working, the next thing would be to perform a command line or silent installation of the parts. Help for that is here. But again the command window would have to be "Run as Administrator" from the Start --> All Programs --> Accessories --> Command Prompt

Stuart

If a post is helpful, or answers your question, or simply annoys you because it is WRONG please use the voting tools on the right side to help identify quality content on the Forum.

Adobe, AutoDesk, ESRI, ERDAS, ESI, Exelis Visual, IHS, Mathworks, Oracle, SAS Inst, Schlumberger, Seismic Micro-Technology, Trimble, Wolfram

sadie lloyd
    Answers Provided

When I right click on the .exe file in Windows Explorer there is no option to run as administrator.

I was able to get around error 1606 by disabling the internet. However, now I am running into this problem: please wait while the installer determines your disk space requirements

It runs and runs and runs (for over an hour) and still nothing so I just cancel out of it. Any ideas how to fix this?

Thank you!

V Stuart Foote

Answers Provided

Sadie,

Copy the entire DVD into a folder (ARCGISMEDIA or such) and attempt to install from there with "Run as Administrator" on the setup.exe.

Stuart

sadie lloyd
    Answers Provided

Tried it, didn't work. Thank you though!

chris dallaire
    Answers Provided

Unhappy Re: Error 1606: Could not access Network Location NULLDesktop10.0.

This is the same for me. My Key are ok, I ran fix-it and I still have error 1606 NULLDesktop 10.0. I also ran the setup as the administrator and still the same. LIke Saddy, I Log off the net and However, now I am running into this problem: please wait while the installer determines your disk space requirements and it runs and runs and runs...

I should add that It is ArcGIS 10 and I'm using Windows 7 too.
    What can I do to fix this. I NEED this software quickly.
    tx

Aaron Addison
    Answers Provided

We now have the same issue on one of our servers. Will be interested to see if a resolution can be found.

V Stuart Foote

Answers Provided

For Aaron, why would you be installing ArcGIS Desktop on a server?

For Chris (and Sadie if you are still working on this)--I'd suggest a couple things.

First download the DVD media ISO from the evaluation trial site, just reregister an account. Your original 180-day ESRI press activation code should still be valid--so ignore the 90-day code offered. Perhaps use a different browser to save the ISO to the local hard drive--NOT onto a Network Share!

Either burn the ISO to DVD media (use your preferred burning software--I use ImgBurn) or mount the ISO image as a local drive. For that I prefer MagicDisc, but ISO Buddy, or Virtual CloneDrive are similar freeware utilities.

With the ISO mounted or physical DVD media correctly burned and mounted, navigate to the folder in Windows Explorer and attempt to run the ESRI.exe install panel with a context menu <right mouse> selection to "run as administrator". Select the ArcGIS Desktop "Setup" button to start the installer.

Allow the installation to proceed and see if you get past the Error 1606 "NULLDesktop 10.0" problem.

And if not--you will need to use the same mounted ISO or DVD and run a command line installation with verbose logging. The logs should show when and where in the installation the NULL value assignment occurs.

So to do this you'd open a command window (cmd.exe) "run as administrator" and navigate to the mounted DVD or ISO image. You'll first need to install the SQL Native Client in the <InstallDrive>\Desktop\support\SQlNative\ (use the 32-bit or 64-bit folder depending on your OS).
    Code:
    msiexec.exe /I sqlcli.msi /L*v C:\ArcGIS10_sqlcliInstall.log
    And when that completes, still working in the command window, move back up to the <InstallDrive>\Desktop folder. Run the installer with logging with this code.
    Code:
    msiexec /I setup.msi /L*v C:\ArcGIS10_desktopInstall.log
    If it runs to completion, great. But if it errors, you'll have a full log of the installer actions to review--perhaps search for the "NULLDesktop 10.0" string as a place to start.

Post back results.

Stuart
    Last edited by vsfoote; 05-04-2011 at 08:26 AM.

Answers Provided

Question Error 1606: Could not access Network Location %APPDATA%/.

Could someone please tell me what this error message means - and how can it be corrected to complete a Desktop installation of ArcGIS_Desktop? It leads to Fatal Error messages when trying to install the software. THANKS!

Error 1606: Could not access Network Location %APPDATA%/.

V Stuart Foote

Answers Provided

@PrinceEdward,

Error 1606 is a Microsoft Windows installer error. Specific cause with ArcGIS Desktop 10 install is a bit of a puzzle--but is probably related to account configuration of the account you are using for the installation.

See this Microsoft KB 886549 for general details and a Fix-It utility that may or may-not help with the ArcGIS Desktop install.

What I'd continue to suggest, as above, is a local virtual mount of the installation ISO and run the installation from an elevated command prompt with a verbose log of the installation captured. Doing the installation this way will provide more details to identify any continuing account configuration issues during a faulty installation.

Stuart
    Last edited by vsfoote; 05-18-2011 at 02:44 PM.

James Lloyd
    Answers Provided

Has anyone had any success with this error? I'm trying to install ArcGIS 10 on a windows 7 PC. Has anyone had any success with this? I've checked all the registry keys for shell users and everything seems to be in order there.

The other strange this is with the install path. Initially I assumed the problem was in resolving the first part of the install path (i.e. C:/ProgramFiles/ArcGIS/Desktop10.0) but changing this to a value which doesn't contain the string "Desktop10.0" still gives exactly the same error! which to me seems to imply that the "NULLDesktop10.0" isn't from the install path????

I tried to install the SQL Express server independently - and managed to get the SP3 version working - I wasn't entirely sure on the user names to in the "Account setup" page of the wizard, and I ran through the install with all the defaults in place without a problem - but this made no difference!

I'm quickly running out of options! Maybe I could try to install from command prompt in Verbose mode? but I'm not sure how this is done.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!!

V Stuart Foote

Answers Provided

@thebluecasket,

Please see post #12 of this thread for doing a command line installation with verbose logging. Also, you don't mention your source for or the location you are attempting to run your installation from.

Are you attempting to install from an ESRI made DVD or working from downloaded ISO?
    Have you verified the ISO image? Is it mounted as a virtual drive (Magic Disc or Virtual Clone Drive), or did you burn it to DVD? Was the image extracted to the file system--local or a network share?

Are you attempting install with the Administrator account? Or at least using "Run as Administrator" procedures?

The "NULLDesktop10.0" appears to be a corruption of the [INST_LOC] installer variable used by the setup.msi install package for ArcGIS Desktop 10.0, the base installation location starts as NULL and then is modified by installer custom action as the configuration continues.

My suggestion, first VERIFY your installation media, and configure to work with it on the local system. And then attempt your installation with Administrators group privileges, perhaps disable UAC while making the attempt.

If that still fails, you should open a installation support instance with ESRI.

Regards,

Stuart

James Lloyd
    Answers Provided

Thanks for your reply Stuart. Your help is much appreciated! I'll try and fill in a little bit more background - as much as I can.

I'm installing from an ESRI made DVD containing ArcGIS 10 (which works for a colleague of mine). I've also tried downloading and installing the trial version - but had the same error. The installation account I'm using is an Administrator (I didn't try creating a non-admin user and using "Run as Administrator"). I've also tried copying the contents of the installer CD to a hard drive and running the setup executable from there.

I'm trying to install to the default location C:/ProgramFiles (x86)/ArcGIS/Desktop10.0 - but I've also tried installing to C:/ProgramFiles/ArcGIS and just C:/ArcGIS with the same error.

I haven't attempted to disable UAC, but I'll try that as soon as I have the machine again. I'll also try to do the Verbose install again if this would help. I didn't have much luck with this last time, it didn't find msiexec (but then again the command prompt is a bit of a dark art to me, I'm much more at home with unix/linux systems).

I don't have the computer with me at the moment - but when I do would it be a good idea to try and set the INST_LOC variable before running the installation? Can i simply set up an environment variable %INST_LOC%, or is it maybe in an config script somewhere? Or is this not possible?

Again, thanks for your help and prompt response! You have no idea how much I appreciate this.

V Stuart Foote

Answers Provided

James,

Any chance your DVD reader is having issues?

Also, suspect that you now have a number of issues from the multiple installation attempts. At this point you probably need to back everything ESRI & ArcGIS out--including the SQL native clients and SQL Express instance. You can try the uninstallers, but suspect you will need a fair bit of file system clean up and work in the registry as well. Get someone to help you if this is your first time cleaning up the Windows registry.

To facilitate cleanup and avoid UAC issues, you can activate THE Windows Administrator account--and complete your installation from that account--similar to working in the root login under UNIX/Linux.

Use this command from a command prompt executed with elevated priveleges (eg. Run as Administrator: Start --> All Programs --> Accessories --> Command Prompt --<w/Right Mouse> select "Run as Administrator" from context menu ) When the command window opens, enter and run:
    net user Administrator /Active:yes
    then run:
    lusrmgr.msc
    and select Users --> Administrator, <w/Right Mouse> select Set Password and create a password.

Exit the command window. Logoff your account. Login to Administrator and let the account profile build. Then perform a clean up of everything ESRI & ArcGIS related. Keep this account handy for doing your maintenance and move your daily account out of the administrators group.

Get all that done, and you'll be ready to have another go at installation. I suggest you just accept the defaults. If you've cleaned everything off, and want to attempt the command line installation from the Administrator account, read this help entry:
    And, this enterprise deployment guide has more details on configuration and deployment:
    As a side note: the Microsoft Installer --msiexec.exe--parses a compressed installation package--setup.msi. Often an associated setup.exe calls msiexec.exe while the setup.msi configuration is actually controlling each step of the installation. Bottom line, Microsofts software packaging can be pretty cryptic.

For ArcGIS Desktop, ESRI uses an installation panel--ESRI.exe--to launch each component installer--but then each installer can have several dependent components that get installed under .msi control.

You would need to use the Microsoft provided ORCA editor for manipulating the installer configurations contained in the .msi packages. And would also use it to review the .msi package for the correct command line variables needed. It can be pretty tortuous, even for a Unix/Linux guru until you've done it several times.

Stuart
    Last edited by vsfoote; 11-21-2011 at 05:54 PM.

Konstantin Glazkov
    Answers Provided

Recently I had a same problem. I have removed from the register:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\ESRI

аnd it has helped me.

Maarten Tromp
    Answers Provided

I had the same problem reinstalling 10.1 beta2.
    What solved it for me was removing the following entries from the Registry:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ESRI
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ESRI

Regards, Maarten Tromp

Amy Wright Webber
    Answers Provided

Thanks for the posts regarding the registry entries to delete. Worked like a charm!

David Mocilan
    Answers Provided

Smile Re: Error 1606: Could not access Network Location NULLDesktop10.0.

THANK YOU SOOOOOOOOO MUCH!!!!!! That solved my problem I had been struggling for hours

stephan hoche
    Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by SOVZOND_Co. View Post

аnd it has helped me.
    24FEB12. Running Vista had the same error (Error 1606), removed the HKEY (above), fixed it. Thanks

Answers Provided

аnd it has helped me.
    This is what FIIIINALLY worked for me! Thank you!!!

Maximilian Leist
    Answers Provided

Thank you so much SOVZOND_Co.

i tried everything ( msiexe reinstall, Regedit-changes etc. ). This is the only thread regarding this problem and i always missed your short post ,but now it finally worked.

Thats the proof how fucked up Windows can be. One little registryentry can ruin your day an some braincells ^^
    Last edited by Flaming87; 04-12-2012 at 03:44 AM.

Vladimir Perpeta
    Answers Provided

аnd it has helped me.
    Спасибо!
    помогло удаление HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ESRI\Desktop 10.0

Trevor Hart
    Answers Provided

I tried everything suggested in all of the forums and no luck.

Only thing that worked for us was to create a new local user and grant admin rights. Log on as that local user and uninstall works.

Interestingly when I tried to install 10.1 it gives me the same error (udner my account) so we had to install as the new local user as well.

Bubba Hey
    Answers Provided

Actually that was a good idea. I've seen corrupt user profiles cause similar issues with Desktop

+ Reply to Thread