Default Cannot create JDBC driver of class '' for connect URL 'null'

Hello,

I installed GeoPortal but still having the problem when I connect me:

Cannot create JDBC driver of class '' for connect URL 'null'

How can I to do !?

Clive Reece
    Answers Provided

Default Re: Cannot create JDBC driver of class '' for connect URL 'null'

Most likely there is a problem with your JNDI configuration file in the \Tomcat\conf\Catalina\localhost\geoportal.xml file. But there could be other issues.

What Geoportal version are you using?
    What Tomcat are you using?
    Do you have the right JDBC connector installed?

Please send a copy of the contents of your geoportal.xml file.

-Clive

sebastien george
    Answers Provided

I downloaded geoportal-1.1.zip, I use tomcat6 and Yes I have the rights.

Code:
    <Context docBase="geocarto54" path="/geocarto54" debug="0" reloadable="true" crossContext="true">
        <Resource name="jdbc/gpt" auth="Container" type="javax.sql.DataSource"
                  driverClassName="com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerDriver"
                  url="jdbc:sqlserver://CARTOSQL:1433;databaseName=carto54"
                  user="admin"
                  password="admin"
                  maxActive="20"
                  maxIdle="10"
                  maxWait="-1" />

</Context>
    Z:\tomcat6\webapps\geocarto54

My database is carto54, server is CARTOSQL
    I download sqljdbc4.jar, I copy the database jdbc driver whitin tomcat6\lib
    Last edited by shedorius; 04-22-2011 at 01:01 AM.

Clive Reece
    Answers Provided

I don't see any obvious errors in the JDBC connection strings. It still seems like a jdbc connection issue. Can I ask you to
    1/ stop Tomcat
    2/ Clear out the Tomcat log file directory (tomcat6\logs) either deleting or backing up the old log files
    3/ Start Tomcat
    4/ Wait till the gpt log file stabilizes after start up.
    5/ Open the gpt log file and inspect the error messages

We need to determine if geoportal is making the connection to your database and getting denied at login, or whether it is able to connect to the database at all (or other).

sebastien george
    Answers Provided

ATTENTION: [SYNCHRONIZER] Error fetching next task
    org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.SQLNestedException: Cannot create PoolableConnectionFactory (The TCP/IP connection to the host CARTOSQL, port 1433 has failed. Error: Connection refused: connect. Please verify the connection properties and check that a SQL Server instance is running on the host and accepting TCP/IP connections at the port, and that no firewall is blocking TCP connections to the port.)
    at org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.BasicDataSource.createPoolableConnectionFactory(BasicDataSource.java:1549)
    at org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.BasicDataSource.createDataSource(BasicDataSource.java:1388)
    at org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.BasicDataSource.getConnection(BasicDataSource.java:1044)
    at com.esri.gpt.framework.sql.DatabaseReference.openJndiConnection(Unknown Source)
    at com.esri.gpt.framework.sql.DatabaseReference.openConnection(Unknown Source)
    at com.esri.gpt.framework.sql.ManagedConnection.<init>(Unknown Source)
    at com.esri.gpt.framework.sql.ManagedConnections.returnConnection(Unknown Source)
    at com.esri.gpt.framework.sql.ConnectionBroker.returnConnection(Unknown Source)
    at com.esri.gpt.framework.sql.BaseDao.returnConnection(Unknown Source)
    at com.esri.gpt.catalog.harvest.jobs.HjGetNextRequest.execute(Unknown Source)
    at com.esri.gpt.control.webharvest.engine.TaskQueue.next(Unknown Source)
    at com.esri.gpt.control.webharvest.engine.Worker.next(Unknown Source)
    at com.esri.gpt.control.webharvest.engine.Worker.execute(Unknown Source)
    at com.esri.gpt.control.webharvest.engine.WorkerBase.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
    Caused by: com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException: The TCP/IP connection to the host CARTOSQL, port 1433 has failed. Error: Connection refused: connect. Please verify the connection properties and check that a SQL Server instance is running on the host and accepting TCP/IP connections at the port, and that no firewall is blocking TCP connections to the port.
    at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException.makeFromDriverError(SQLServerException.java:130)
    at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerConnection.connectHelper(SQLServerConnection.java:1195)
    at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerConnection.loginWithoutFailover(SQLServerConnection.java:1054)
    at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerConnection.connect(SQLServerConnection.java:758)
    at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerDriver.connect(SQLServerDriver.java:842)
    at org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.DriverConnectionFactory.createConnection(DriverConnectionFactory.java:38)
    at org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.PoolableConnectionFactory.makeObject(PoolableConnectionFactory.java:582)
    at org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.BasicDataSource.validateConnectionFactory(BasicDataSource.java:1556)
    at org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.BasicDataSource.createPoolableConnectionFactory(BasicDataSource.java:1545)
    ... 14 more

I don't understand all, can you help me please with this errors ?
    thank you

Clive Reece
    Answers Provided

The most important message is "org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.SQLNestedException: Cannot create PoolableConnectionFactory (The TCP/IP connection to the host CARTOSQL, port 1433 has failed. Error: Connection refused: connect. Please verify the connection properties and check that a SQL Server instance is running on the host and accepting TCP/IP connections at the port, and that no firewall is blocking TCP connections to the port.)"

The geoportal web app cannot communicate with your database on port 1433 ("The TCP/IP connection to the host CARTOSQL, port 1433 has failed. Error: Connection refused").

Assuming you are not running the SQL Server as a named instance, it appears that port 1433 may not be active for database connections on your database machine. Check the SQL Server Configuration manager > SQL Server Network Configuration > Protocols for MSSQLSERVER (name of your database instance) > TCP/IP > Properties:
    check ... Protocol is Enabled (=Yes)?

Or something (firewall?) is blocking the Tomcat communication with your database server.

Clive Reece
    Answers Provided

Please post back for the group if you were able to correct the JDBC issue

Cecilio Martinez
    Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by creece View Post
    Please post back for the group if you were able to correct the JDBC issue
    I used a dymanic port as listed by the IP Address for my SQL instance ... Not sure if this was the right thing to do long term but it worked for me...

I clicked on Start then right clicked on My computer clicked on Manage expanded Services and Applications expanded SQL Server Configuration Manager clicked on SQL Server Network Configurations double clicked on my instance double clicked on TCP/IP ( Made sure it was enabled) clicked on the IP Addresses Tab used theIPALL TCP Dynamic Port listed ....

-Cecilio

sebastien george
    Answers Provided

I have to change the port (1431) in SQL Server and geoportal.xml but I always have the same error

Code:
    2 mai 2011 16:19:39 com.esri.gpt.control.webharvest.engine.TaskQueue next
    ATTENTION: [SYNCHRONIZER] Error fetching next task
    org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.SQLNestedException: Cannot create PoolableConnectionFactory (The TCP/IP connection to the host CARTOSQL, port 1431 has failed. Error: Connection refused: connect. Please verify the connection properties and check that a SQL Server instance is running on the host and accepting TCP/IP connections at the port, and that no firewall is blocking TCP connections to the port.)
    	at org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.BasicDataSource.createPoolableConnectionFactory(BasicDataSource.java:1549)
    	at org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.BasicDataSource.createDataSource(BasicDataSource.java:1388)
    	at org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.BasicDataSource.getConnection(BasicDataSource.java:1044)
    	at com.esri.gpt.framework.sql.DatabaseReference.openJndiConnection(Unknown Source)
    	at com.esri.gpt.framework.sql.DatabaseReference.openConnection(Unknown Source)
    	at com.esri.gpt.framework.sql.ManagedConnection.<init>(Unknown Source)
    	at com.esri.gpt.framework.sql.ManagedConnections.returnConnection(Unknown Source)
    	at com.esri.gpt.framework.sql.ConnectionBroker.returnConnection(Unknown Source)
    	at com.esri.gpt.framework.sql.BaseDao.returnConnection(Unknown Source)
    	at com.esri.gpt.catalog.harvest.jobs.HjGetNextRequest.execute(Unknown Source)
    	at com.esri.gpt.control.webharvest.engine.TaskQueue.next(Unknown Source)
    	at com.esri.gpt.control.webharvest.engine.Worker.next(Unknown Source)
    	at com.esri.gpt.control.webharvest.engine.Worker.execute(Unknown Source)
    	at com.esri.gpt.control.webharvest.engine.WorkerBase.run(Unknown Source)
    	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
    Caused by: com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException: The TCP/IP connection to the host CARTOSQL, port 1431 has failed. Error: Connection refused: connect. Please verify the connection properties and check that a SQL Server instance is running on the host and accepting TCP/IP connections at the port, and that no firewall is blocking TCP connections to the port.
    	at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException.makeFromDriverError(SQLServerException.java:130)
    	at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerConnection.connectHelper(SQLServerConnection.java:1195)
    	at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerConnection.loginWithoutFailover(SQLServerConnection.java:1054)
    	at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerConnection.connect(SQLServerConnection.java:758)
    	at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerDriver.connect(SQLServerDriver.java:842)
    	at org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.DriverConnectionFactory.createConnection(DriverConnectionFactory.java:38)
    	at org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.PoolableConnectionFactory.makeObject(PoolableConnectionFactory.java:582)
    	at org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.BasicDataSource.validateConnectionFactory(BasicDataSource.java:1556)
    	at org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.BasicDataSource.createPoolableConnectionFactory(BasicDataSource.java:1545)
    	... 14 more
    My file geoportal.xml

Code:
    <!-- Context configuration file for the Geoportal Web App -->
    <Context docBase="geocarto54" path="/geocarto54" debug="0" reloadable="true" crossContext="true">
                  driverClassName="com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerDriver"
                  url="jdbc:sqlserver://CARTOSQL:1431;databaseName=carto54"
                  user="admincarto54"
                  password="xxxxxxxxx"
                  maxActive="20"
                  maxIdle="10"
                  maxWait="-1" />

</Context>
    My database is carto54, server is cartosql
    Z:\tomcat6\webapps\geocarto54
    Last edited by shedorius; 05-02-2011 at 06:21 AM.

Clive Reece
    Answers Provided

You are getting 'connection refused'. The error message is telling us that port 1433 is not set up on CARTOSQL to accept SQL Server connections from other machines.

sebastien george
    Answers Provided

Thanks you, but now I have not the choice. I owe to use odbc connection.

Code:
    <!-- Context configuration file for the Geoportal Web App -->
    <Context docBase="geoportal" path="/geoportal" debug="0" reloadable="true" crossContext="true">
                  driverClassName="sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver"
                  url="jdbc:odbc:geoportal"
                  user="admincarto54"
                  password="xxxxxxxxxx"
                  maxActive="20"
                  maxIdle="10"
                  maxWait="-1" />

</Context>
    I created odbc system connection. His name is geoportal

Now, I have this error :

Cannot create PoolableConnectionFactory ([Microsoft][Gestionnaire de pilotes ODBC] Source de données introuvable et nom de pilote non spécifié)

Clive Reece
    Answers Provided

You are swimming in uncharted waters trying to use ODBC. I would strongly recommend you stick to a JDBC driver and JDBC url connection. Another tool to try (with the goal of getting the JDBC driver/url combination correct for your system) is DbVisualizer. It would allow you to choose a driver and quickly test different connection strings. Still, I think the primary focus needs to be determining which TCP port your SQLServer database machine is configured to accept outside connections.

sebastien george
    Answers Provided

The problem is that I can not have access firewall, nor cnfiguration sql server.
    The persons of this service are in vacancy. I can only to use ODBC

sebastien george
    Answers Provided

I tryed Dbvizualizer and with this software, I can connect me with tcp port 1354.
    But with geoportal, this error appear :

Cannot create PoolableConnectionFactory (Échec de l'ouverture de session de l'utilisateur ''. L'utilisateur n'est pas associé à une connexion SQL Server approuvée.)

I use exactly the same user, password, database, driver ... I don't understand why it work with dbvizualizer but not SQL Server ...

I would strongly recommend you stick to a JDBC driver and JDBC url connection. Another tool to try (with the goal of getting the JDBC driver/url combination correct for your system) is DbVisualizer. It would allow you to choose a driver and quickly test different connection strings. Still, I think the primary focus needs to be determining which TCP port your SQLServer database machine is configured to accept outside connections.

Clive Reece
    Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by shedorius View Post
    I tryed Dbvizualizer and with this software, I can connect me with tcp port 1354.
    But with geoportal, this error appear :

Cannot create PoolableConnectionFactory (Échec de l'ouverture de session de l'utilisateur ''. L'utilisateur n'est pas associé à une connexion SQL Server approuvée.)

I use exactly the same user, password, database, driver ... I don't understand why it work with dbvizualizer but not SQL Server ...
    You are using dBVisualizer from the Tomcat machine?
    With dBVisualizer you are pointing to the same database driver that is in Tomcat/lib?
    Then I would next look through Tomcat/lib and Tomcat/webapps/geoportal/WEB-INF/lib and make sure you don't have a 2nd database driver that might be conflicting.

Clive Reece
    Answers Provided

One more thing: I just translated the French error message to English: "The user logon failed ". The user is not associated with a trusted SQL Server connection."

This would indicate that the username logon is not allowed/configured to remotely log in to your SQL Server.

17. 05-09-2011 03:31 AM

sebastien george
    Answers Provided

I use dbVisualizer from the tomcat machine and I point to the same database driver that is in Tomcat/lib. I don't now if I have a 2nd database driver that might be conflicting.

This would indicate that the username logon is not allowed/configured to remotely log in to your SQL Server.
    With dbVisualizer, I use the same user and password. And It's OK.

sebastien george
    Answers Provided

I noticed that SQL server receives no request when I connect me with the geoportal

Clive Reece
    Answers Provided

Let's go back and check that your geoportal webapp context and the JNDI deployment descriptor file are the same.
    Your geoportal webapp context is geocarto54. Correct?
    Can you make sure that the JNDI deployment descriptor placed in config/Catalina/localhost is using the same name, namely geocarto54.xml?

sebastien george
    Answers Provided

Thank you, It' OK

Clive Reece
    Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by shedorius View Post
    Thank you, It' OK
    Does that mean it is working for you now?

sebastien george
    Answers Provided

It's working for me, thank you

+ Reply to Thread