+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: ArcGIS Server and hyperlink in attribute table

  1. #1
    ida podrug
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    11
    Points
    1
    Answers Provided
    0


    0

    Default ArcGIS Server and hyperlink in attribute table

    Hi,
    I want users to be able to info a polygon/line/point etc, have the info table open with the different attribute fields shown and then be able to click the hyperlink in a new field i created called "links." I don't want to use this hyperlink tool i've found online b/c i want to keep it as simple as possible and i think just having the URL in the attribute table will achieve that. I followed some instructions for adding hyperlinks to an attribute field in an mxd and i'm able to access the hyperlinks from there but it doesn't carry over and doesn't have that usual underlined blue text when i publish my map to arcgis server.
    Any advice would be appreciated
    i

  2. #2
    Tony Contreras

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    244
    Points
    20
    Answers Provided
    4


    0

    Default Hyperlink Article

    You can try using this. It will work if your hyperlinks point to a web URL (http://server/folder/file.ext)
    The URL needs to be valid, so if you are hosting the files, make sure that the web server has a virtual directory that points to the folder containing the files. You can test this by copying one of the link attributes and pasting to the address bar of a web browser. You should be able to see the file.

    HowTo: Include hyperlinks and images in an attribute table record in a Web mapping application
    http://resources.arcgis.com/content/...leShow&d=37174

  3. #3
    sarbajit gurung
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    43
    Points
    0
    Answers Provided
    0


    0

    Default Re: ArcGIS Server and hyperlink in attribute table

    That holds true only for the attributes of a feature class. My feature class is related to a table which contains hyperlinks since the relationship is one-to-many. I've tried several ways but when I create web application, the related hyperlinks are inactive. Does anyone have idea to sort this out?

    Many thanks,
    Sarbajit Gurung
    GIS and RS Assistant
    U of C

  4. #4
    Andrea B, GISP
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    360
    Points
    7
    Answers Provided
    3


    0

    Question Re: Hyperlink Article

    Quote Originally Posted by tcontreras View Post
    You can try using this. It will work if your hyperlinks point to a web URL (http://server/folder/file.ext)
    The URL needs to be valid, so if you are hosting the files, make sure that the web server has a virtual directory that points to the folder containing the files. You can test this by copying one of the link attributes and pasting to the address bar of a web browser. You should be able to see the file.

    HowTo: Include hyperlinks and images in an attribute table record in a Web mapping application
    http://resources.arcgis.com/content/...leShow&d=37174
    Hi Tony,

    Do you know exactly how I can do this? How can I make these documents a web URL? As it is right now I have a folder on the C drive of the server called PDFs and it has my pdf documents. I have a field in my attribute tables that hold the path to that folder and it works in my mxd. I have multiple feature classes that have a hyperlink field - will this work?

    Thanks,
    Andrea B, GISP
    GIS Coordinator

  5. #5
    Clint Garrison
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    18
    Points
    0
    Answers Provided
    0


    0

    Unhappy Re: Hyperlink Article

    Quote Originally Posted by tcontreras View Post
    You can try using this. It will work if your hyperlinks point to a web URL (http://server/folder/file.ext)
    The URL needs to be valid, so if you are hosting the files, make sure that the web server has a virtual directory that points to the folder containing the files. You can test this by copying one of the link attributes and pasting to the address bar of a web browser. You should be able to see the file.

    HowTo: Include hyperlinks and images in an attribute table record in a Web mapping application
    http://resources.arcgis.com/content/...leShow&d=37174
    Sorry to jump in here but I can't get this to work with my service. I even added a field called WEBSITE and entered www.esri.com in it. When I Click the Records tab and select Custom Formatting, nothing appears ....Anyone know why???
    Thanks,
    Clint Garrison

  6. #6
    Randall W

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    389
    Points
    23
    Answers Provided
    4


    0

    Default Re: Hyperlink Article

    Quote Originally Posted by jnrgeo View Post
    Sorry to jump in here but I can't get this to work with my service. I even added a field called WEBSITE and entered www.esri.com in it. When I Click the Records tab and select Custom Formatting, nothing appears ....Anyone know why???
    Thanks,
    Clint Garrison

    Try changing the link to http://www.esri.com...
    ESRI Technical Support
    Charlotte RO

  7. #7
    Clint Garrison
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    18
    Points
    0
    Answers Provided
    0


    0

    Default Re: Hyperlink Article

    Quote Originally Posted by RandallWilliams View Post
    Try changing the link to http://www.esri.com...
    It still doesn't work. My screen does not look like step 6 in the message above (http://resources.arcgis.com/content/...leShow&d=37174)
    I'm not getting any attribute names appearing when I click Records, Custom Formatting, HTML. I'm using Server 10 java service pack 1...I've tried with a Feature Class and a shapefile.
    Any Ideas???
    Thanks

  8. #8
    Brian Peters
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    4
    Points
    0
    Answers Provided
    0


    0

    Question Re: Hyperlink Article

    Quote Originally Posted by jnrgeo View Post
    It still doesn't work. My screen does not look like step 6 in the message above (http://resources.arcgis.com/content/...leShow&d=37174)
    I'm not getting any attribute names appearing when I click Records, Custom Formatting, HTML. I'm using Server 10 java service pack 1...I've tried with a Feature Class and a shapefile.
    Any Ideas???
    Thanks
    This is a major problem that needs to be fixed? I called Tech Support and the answer was that it was not supported in Java. I'm running ArcGIS Server 10 and people have been talking about this in 9.3 and there still is no solution from what I'm hearing?

    Please if anyone knows anything to try please post it. I beg of you please post it?

    added: I placed an URL into the attribute field of a shp file:///<Server>folder/linkfolder/shortcut.lnk and this will work in my mxd. I then imported it into the SDE gdb. It still works in my mxd. I exported the mxd into an msd and created a web app from this. This works just fine but no hyperlinks. I tried the about steps to get hyperlinks to work, nothing. I added the $ in front '${NAME}" because I read a post that this would work? It did not?
    Last edited by brianapeters; 03-15-2011 at 07:36 AM. Reason: missing content

  9. #9
    Rasheed Khaleel
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3
    Points
    0
    Answers Provided
    0


    0

    Default Re: ArcGIS Server and hyperlink in attribute table

    Just checking but what browser are you using for manager? We've discovered we can activate links within Server with IE but not Chrome for some reason.

  10. #10
    Brian Oevermann
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    111
    Points
    17
    Answers Provided
    1


    0

    Default Re: ArcGIS Server and hyperlink in attribute table

    My reply here: http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/467...885#post159885 outlines how I have done this. I use the Flex viewer in .NET Server and not Java so cannot confirm how or if it works in that environment.

    Hope this helps some of you.

    Brian

    P.S. I believe the HOWTO document referenced by Tony in post #2 is using the WebADF application builder in the .NET version of Server (I have no idea if the application builder is in the Java version as I use .NET). WebADF is being deprecated so I do not recommend using it to build any of your web apps.
    Last edited by BrianO; 02-27-2012 at 02:26 PM. Reason: added P.S. and clarified my Server as .NET
    Brian Oevermann, GISP
    GIS Coordinator
    City of Issaquah, WA

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts