+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Importing File From Excel into ArcGIS Gives NULL Data in Fields

Grady Morrison
    Answers Provided

Default Importing File From Excel into ArcGIS Gives NULL Data in Fields

I am attempting to import the attached excel file into ArcMap so that I can use the table's address fields in order to geocode the field locations in order to create a shapefile of this data. When I import this file in, I get the heading field to load fine, but all the attribute data in the fields is <Null>. Is this a excel formatting issue that I cannot seem to locate? Or am I going about this in an incorrect manor?

Thank you for your time, and any help is great appreciated!

Grady Morrison
    Answers Provided

Default Re: Importing File From Excel into ArcGIS Gives NULL Data in Fields

Here is the attachment --
    Attached Files

Vaishali Raut
    Answers Provided

Hi Graddy,

Please check the attached excel sheet and let me know the result.
    Thanks!

Vaishali.
    Attached Files

Grady Morrison
    Answers Provided

Perfect. That seems to have solved the issue. How did you change that xls file so that it was able to import correctly? If I could have the process you used I would really appreciate it!

Thanks for your time!

Vaishali Raut
    Answers Provided

Hi Graddy,

I simply removed the spaces from the excel. In GIS when excel comes into role, taking care of spaces and special characters in it would always give you correct and faster result.

Thank you!
    Vaishali.

Kyle Leissner
    Answers Provided

How do you remove the spaces in excel? Is there an easy automated way?

Ruth Emerick
    Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by kleissner View Post
    How do you remove the spaces in excel? Is there an easy automated way?
    Use Find/Replace in Excel. In the Find box, type a space. In the Replace box, don't type anything. Press "Replace All."

Jeff Ward
    Answers Provided

Use the TRIM function. In a new column click on the first cell and click on the Insert Function button in the formula bar (fx). Enter TRIM in the search field and select TRIM from the results. Then enter the cell reference or choose the cell selector (grid looking tool to the right of the argument entry box). Then click OK. You can copy and paste that formula to the rest of the cells in that column. But I think you will then have to select the entire contents of that column you just created and copy it. Then go to the next empty column at the top and right click then select "Paste Special" and select "Values" from the choices. Then you can delete the column with the formula in it and what you have left is a column with the trimmed text values. ArcMap probably won't handle a formula in a cell.

Hope that helps.
    Jeff Ward
    Summit County, Utah

Answers Provided

I have done the reading of the char. and spaces and while joining it STILL is fill with <NullLs
    HELP please

Joe Borgione

Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by dxhaesler View Post
    I have done the reading of the char. and spaces and while joining it STILL is fill with <NullLs
    HELP please
    Are you joining a spread sheet to a table or importing a spread sheet to a table?

Either way, make sure the FIELD names don't have spaces or special characters.
    Joe Borgione
    AlpineGeographic

If the suggestion I provide helps solve your problem, please feel free to give it a favorable review by clicking the up arrow. That's only only reward I get for sharing 20 + years of professional GIS experience.

Jacqueline Ryssman
    Answers Provided

I am having a similar problem. Under my waypoints field the values containing both alpha and numeric characters show up as null in arcmap. I have tried just about everything in formatting and I am at my wits end. Help me. I have attached the problem file as well as highlighted the waypoints which are reading as null in arcmap
    Attached Files

Joe Borgione

Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by ryssmanj View Post
    I am having a similar problem. Under my waypoints field the values containing both alpha and numeric characters show up as null in arcmap. I have tried just about everything in formatting and I am at my wits end. Help me. I have attached the problem file as well as highlighted the waypoints which are reading as null in arcmap
    Your spreadsheet is the problem. You've got mixed and matched formats in the same column. Some are true numeric, while others should be treated as text (those with Alpha characters imbedded). I suggest you create a personal geodatabase, and create a table with the following fields: XCoord(double), YCoord(double), Waypoint(text). Load your excel data into that and go to work.
    Joe Borgione
    AlpineGeographic

If the suggestion I provide helps solve your problem, please feel free to give it a favorable review by clicking the up arrow. That's only only reward I get for sharing 20 + years of professional GIS experience.

Jacqueline Ryssman
    Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by jborgion View Post
    Your spreadsheet is the problem. You've got mixed and matched formats in the same column. Some are true numeric, while others should be treated as text (those with Alpha characters imbedded). I suggest you create a personal geodatabase, and create a table with the following fields: XCoord(double), YCoord(double), Waypoint(text). Load your excel data into that and go to work.
    Thank you for your help. It worked perfectly! I greatly appreciate it.

+ Reply to Thread