+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Move Arc from old computer to new

Karen Christensen
    Answers Provided

Default Move Arc from old computer to new

Hello!

I'm attempting to move an existing install of ArcDesktop 9.3 from an old computer to a new one (same user). I've tried using Windows Easy Transfer and the reports reflect it's been installed, but when I look in Programs, it's not there. Nor will it show up when I'm attempting to open .mxd files on the new system. How do I move it?

Thanks!

John Sobetzer

Answers Provided

Default Re: Move Arc from old computer to new

If you just installed it like any new program on the new computer, along with any extensions or scripts, then copied all your templates and styles (where they are stored or should be stored will depend on the operating systems), and of course the local GIS data in the same file paths, would that get you what you want?

Melita Kennedy

Answers Provided

ArcGIS uses a lot of registry entries. At a minimum, you would have to recreate those. Doing a regular install is much more likely to succeed.
    Melita Kennedy
    Sr. Esri Product Engineer

Josh White
    Answers Provided

When I got a new machine, I just did a regular install on it. Then you just have to find and move all of the templates and style files etc. This way I didn't have to worry about registry changes then and really a new install isn't that bad.
    Last edited by ksjosh82; 10-24-2011 at 10:55 AM.

Karen Christensen
    Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by mkennedy View Post
    ArcGIS uses a lot of registry entries. At a minimum, you would have to recreate those. Doing a regular install is much more likely to succeed.
    Thank you so much! You've been a great help!

Karen Christensen
    Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by ksjosh82 View Post
    When I got a new machine, I just did a regular install on it. Then you just have to find and move all of the templates and style files etc. This way I didn't have to worry about registry changes then and really a new install isn't that bad.
    I'm going to do just that! Thank you!

Karen Christensen
    Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by mkennedy View Post
    What if there was existing data on the old system? What file extensions would I be looking for?

ERIC ERICSON
    Answers Provided

I purchased ArcView 9.3.1 and upgraded to 10.0 before my license expired... now my laptop's display will only work connected to HDMI on a TV. I have a new laptop.

Will I be able to transfer 10.0 to the new laptop? Suggestions will be appreciated... thanks.

V Stuart Foote

Answers Provided

Eric,

You would be able to do a clean installation onto the new laptop. Migrating a program like ArcGIS Desktop is tedious at best.

You must however take steps to protect your ESRI license entitlement.

Contact ESRI Customer Service to verify your license type and the status of the Activation/Authorization code you'd been issued in upgrade from 9.x to 10.0.

They should advise you to do so, but with your old laptop connected to internet you may have to open ArcGIS Administrator --> Desktop --> Deauthorize, to return the license fulfillment to ESRI. It would then be available to active your new clean installation.

If you have customizations -- templates, styles, add-ins; and any existing ArcMap MXDs you'll want to copy those to the new laptop and adjust ownership for continued use.

Regards,

Stuart

If a post is helpful, or answers your question, or simply annoys you because it is WRONG please use the voting tools on the right side to help identify quality content on the Forum.

Systems Analyst - Geological Sciences
    The University of Texas at San Antonio
    Classroom & Research support
    Adobe, AutoDesk, ESRI, ERDAS, ESI, Exelis Visual, IHS, Mathworks, Oracle, SAS Inst, Schlumberger, Seismic Micro-Technology, Trimble, Wolfram

+ Reply to Thread