+ Reply to Thread

Thread: After Installing 10.0 License Manager, ArcGIS.exe pegs the CPU

Glenn Goodrich
    Answers Provided

Default After Installing 10.0 License Manager, ArcGIS.exe pegs the CPU

So, I installed the license manager that comes with 10 pre-release, which worked fine initially. However, now when I start the license manager, the ArcGIS.exe process immediately jumps to 50% cpu, but I can't get a license. If I look in Diagnostic, it says:

License Server Status: NOT RUNNING (even though in the bottom of the window it says "License Server Status: RUNNING"

I get nothing in the debug or audit logs. Any ideas of what to check?

Thanks,
    Glenn

John Kelly
    Answers Provided

Default Re: After Installing 10.0 License Manager, ArcGIS.exe pegs the CPU

I'm having the same problem (without the jump in cpu). Has anyone found a fix?
    When trying to set / change license manager on the remote machine, ArcGISAdmin gives an error saying my server "is an invalid hostname. Please enter a valid hostname."
    But that server name and ip are ping-able from the remote machine.
    Thanks much.

Quote Originally Posted by ruprict View Post
    So, I installed the license manager that comes with 10 pre-release, which worked fine initially. However, now when I start the license manager, the ArcGIS.exe process immediately jumps to 50% cpu, but I can't get a license. If I look in Diagnostic, it says:

License Server Status: NOT RUNNING (even though in the bottom of the window it says "License Server Status: RUNNING"

I get nothing in the debug or audit logs. Any ideas of what to check?

Thanks,
    Glenn

Noah Erickson
    Answers Provided

I was getting the license manager checking out okay on my server, but "invalid hostname" when trying to get up the administrator on my workstation. Turns out it was the firewall. I'd set up all the exe's for the 9.x license manager before, but it wasn't recognizing the new ones (I guess different version numbers). I just added arcgis.exe and the lm* files to windows firewall exceptions and then my desktop saw it immediately. This is on Windows Server 2003 and 7 Ultimate x64.

Lee Kaufman
    Answers Provided

I realize this thread is a bit dated but I am having the same issue.
    I just installed the License Manager 10 for the first. I have tried disabling the firewall and restarted the license manager but still get the same result when I run the diagnostic of License Server Status: NOT RUNNING.

Has anyone had any luck resolving this issue?

V Stuart Foote

Answers Provided

Lee,

You don't give much to go on. What operating system? Are you served by DNS? Is server hosted on a Windows AD domain?

If Windows, did you install the License Manager with "administrators" group privileges or as THE "Administrator"? If on Unix/Linux what account/permissions did you use there.

Assume that this is the production ArcGIS 10.0 release, FNP v.11.6.1 version and not the pre release which IIRC was FNP v11.4 based.

The FLEXnet Publisher lmgrd.exe and ARCGIS.exe are run as services on a Windows hosted license manger, and similar executables run as daemons on Unix/Linux hosted servers--but a user account or a System account must have permissions to launch the service or daemon.

The new ArcGIS License Manager 10.1 is FNP v.11.10.0 based and is more stable with improved GUI.

Stuart
    Last edited by vsfoote; 05-16-2012 at 12:17 PM. Reason: grammar

If a post is helpful, or answers your question, or simply annoys you because it is WRONG please use the voting tools on the right side to help identify quality content on the Forum.

Systems Analyst - Geological Sciences
    The University of Texas at San Antonio
    Classroom & Research support
    Adobe, AutoDesk, ESRI, ERDAS, ESI, Exelis Visual, IHS, Mathworks, Oracle, SAS Inst, Schlumberger, Seismic Micro-Technology, Trimble, Wolfram

+ Reply to Thread