+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Public Maps Gallery template version 1.4 --Opening post

Esri webmap
    Answers Provided

Cool Public Maps Gallery template version 1.4 --Opening post

Please reply to this opening post to submit questions and comments about the Public Maps Gallery (PMG) template version 1.4.
    Last edited by Esri_webmap; 11-22-2011 at 05:50 PM.

Marc Weinshenker
    Answers Provided

Default Download problems

I'm getting an "Invalid token" message with Error 498 when I click the download link. Above the error it shows "ArcGIS Geowarehouse" with a "Home" link. Clicking the Home link brings up, "Services Directory is disabled" with Error 403. I've tried this with different browsers and even different Internet connections with no difference. What's going on?

Edit: I discovered that the download link at the bottom by Code Attachment works. The link in Step 1 of how to use the template is the one causing problems.
    Last edited by RockvilleGIS; 11-23-2011 at 09:29 AM.

Esri webmap
    Answers Provided

Default Re: Download problems

Quote Originally Posted by RockvilleGIS View Post
    I'm getting an "Invalid token" message with Error 498 when I click the download link. Above the error it shows "ArcGIS Geowarehouse" with a "Home" link. Clicking the Home link brings up, "Services Directory is disabled" with Error 403. I've tried this with different browsers and even different Internet connections with no difference. What's going on?

Edit: I discovered that the download link at the bottom by Code Attachment works. The link in Step 1 of how to use the template is the one causing problems.
    Sorry about that. The download link at the top is fixed.

James Cucinelli
    Answers Provided

Default Re: Public Maps Gallery template version 1.4 --Opening post

Thanks I downloaded it and it worked when I switched to my group id.

Veronica Moore
    Answers Provided

I have replaced the logo but I can't see it. I replace it with a PNG image is there anything else that I have to do to see my new image.
    Last edited by veritomoore36; 11-30-2011 at 11:40 AM.

Marc Weinshenker
    Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by veritomoore36 View Post
    I have replaced the logo but I can't see it. I replace it with a PNG image is there anything else that I have to do to see my new image.
    Are you using Internet Explorer? I'm having the same problem with my logo image not appearing but that's only in IE; other browsers show the logo image properly. The 1.3.1 version of the template displays my logo without problems, and the 1.4 version displays the default logo fine in IE but not my own logo. Very strange.

Veronica Moore
    Answers Provided

I also used the 1.3 version and I didn't have problems with it. I know I figure it was the explorer because there some instances in which when I refresh the page the logo shows but then when you open it again is gone. Hope that somebody out there can find a solution to this annoying little problem.

Are you using Internet Explorer? I'm having the same problem with my logo image not appearing but that's only in IE; other browsers show the logo image properly. The 1.3.1 version of the template displays my logo without problems, and the 1.4 version displays the default logo fine in IE but not my own logo. Very strange.

Esri webmap
    Answers Provided

I also used the 1.3 version and I didn't have problems with it. I know I figure it was the explorer because there some instances in which when I refresh the page the logo shows but then when you open it again is gone. Hope that somebody out there can find a solution to this annoying little problem.
    What version of IE are you using?

Some versions of IE don't display PNG files with transparency correctly. If possible can you try making it a GIF? or if it doesn't have transparency can you change it to a JPG?

Marc Weinshenker
    Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by Esri_webmap View Post

Some versions of IE don't display PNG files with transparency correctly. If possible can you try making it a GIF? or if it doesn't have transparency can you change it to a JPG?
    I'm using IE 8. But let me emphasize that this problem did not occur with the 1.3.1 version of the map gallery template. It showed up with the 1.4 version. Same browser, same logo graphic file, different template.

Matt Driscoll
    Answers Provided

I'm using IE 8. But let me emphasize that this problem did not occur with the 1.3.1 version of the map gallery template. It showed up with the 1.4 version. Same browser, same logo graphic file, different template.
    Ok. I'll investigate this and see what I can find. Can you attach the image you're using so I can see what is happening?

Marc Weinshenker
    Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by mattdriscoll View Post
    Ok. I'll investigate this and see what I can find. Can you attach the image you're using so I can see what is happening?
    Matt,

Thanks very much. I'm attaching the image.

Marc
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	RockvilleLogo.png‎
Views:	146
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	10454  

Matt Driscoll
    Answers Provided

Matt,

Thanks very much. I'm attaching the image.

Marc
    Did you put the image in your logo folder? Are you linking to it like this?

Code:
    pmgConfig.footerLogo = 'graphics/logo/RockvilleLogo.png';
    I put it in the logo folder and used that code and it was showing in IE 7 and IE 8. It may just be linked to wrong.

Can you try linking to it like one of these following methods?

Code:
    pmgConfig.footerLogo = 'http://maps.rockvillemd.gov/gallery/graphics/yourLogo.png';
    Code:
    pmgConfig.footerLogo = '/gallery/graphics/yourLogo.png';
    Hopefully it's one of those. Otherwise, i'll keep looking into it.

Thanks for your help with this.

Marc Weinshenker
    Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by mattdriscoll View Post
    Did you put the image in your logo folder? Are you linking to it like this?

Code:
    pmgConfig.footerLogo = 'graphics/logo/RockvilleLogo.png';
    I put it in the logo folder and used that code and it was showing in IE 7 and IE 8. It may just be linked to wrong.

Can you try linking to it like one of these following methods?

Code:
    pmgConfig.footerLogo = 'http://maps.rockvillemd.gov/gallery/graphics/yourLogo.png';
    Code:
    pmgConfig.footerLogo = '/gallery/graphics/yourLogo.png';
    Hopefully it's one of those. Otherwise, i'll keep looking into it.

Thanks for your help with this.
    Matt,

Very interesting that it worked for you. I actually never changed the code because I named my graphic as yourLogo.png. I sent it to you with Rockville in the name only so you would know what it is. Anyway, using the /gallery/graphics... path did not help. I can't use the external URL path yet since I'm working on the configuration on my local desktop machine.

In case it matters, my OS is Windows 7 64-bit.

Another thing going on with IE, perhaps unrelated, is that the gallery page loads extremely slowly and when I open the error message from the status bar in IE, I get the following:

Webpage error details

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/4.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; Media Center PC 6.0; MDDR; .NET4.0C; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729)
    Timestamp: Thu, 1 Dec 2011 21:51:05 UTC

Line: 4
    Char: 12073
    Code: 0
    URI: file:///C:/GIS/Web_mapping/LocalGov_Portal/public-maps-gallery-1.4/public-maps-gallery/scripts/plugins/modernizr.min.js

Thanks,
    Marc

Esri webmap
    Answers Provided

Matt,

Very interesting that it worked for you. I actually never changed the code because I named my graphic as yourLogo.png. I sent it to you with Rockville in the name only so you would know what it is. Anyway, using the /gallery/graphics... path did not help. I can't use the external URL path yet since I'm working on the configuration on my local desktop machine.

Another thing going on with IE, perhaps unrelated, is that the gallery page loads extremely slowly and when I open the error message from the status bar in IE, I get the following:

Webpage error details

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/4.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; Media Center PC 6.0; MDDR; .NET4.0C; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729)

URI: file:///C:/GIS/Web_mapping/LocalGov_Portal/public-maps-gallery-1.4/public-maps-gallery/scripts/plugins/modernizr.min.js

Thanks,
    Marc
    Hi Mark,

Yes, that error only occurs when running the webpage from the local filesystem in IE. It's probably what's causing the PNG image to not display as well.

If you run the file from a web server, IE will not have that error. It's just IE's security not allowing the script to run from the local filesystem.

Marc Weinshenker
    Answers Provided

Hi Mark,

Yes, that error only occurs when running the webpage from the local filesystem in IE. It's probably what's causing the PNG image to not display as well.

If you run the file from a web server, IE will not have that error. It's just IE's security not allowing the script to run from the local filesystem.
    Well, that's pretty annoying. I'll try it on a web server.

Thanks very much.

Veronica Moore
    Answers Provided

I'm running IE version 8, I have tried the JPG and GIF with no luck.
    I have also tried the following in the IE
    - Clear temporary internet files
    - I have verified that the show pictures option is turn on
    - I have check for enabling scripting, ActiveX, cookies and java programs(are on)
    - I have enable the Auto select encoding opition and check if is set to correct language.
    So, any more ideas,

Thank you, so much

Marc Weinshenker
    Answers Provided

I'm running IE version 8, I have tried the JPG and GIF with no luck.
    I have also tried the following in the IE
    - Clear temporary internet files
    - I have verified that the show pictures option is turn on
    - I have check for enabling scripting, ActiveX, cookies and java programs(are on)
    - I have enable the Auto select encoding opition and check if is set to correct language.
    So, any more ideas,

Thank you, so much
    My situation is now fixed after moving the files to a web server rather than just running it out of my local workstation directory. If you're not running your gallery out of a web directory on a web server, e.g., in inetpub/wwwroot, then give that a try.

Veronica Moore
    Answers Provided

Unhappy Re: Public Maps Gallery template version 1.4 --Opening post

I did exactly what you did and I'm also running Windows 7 but 32 bit and of course running it from my local desktop machine. I guess now that I read that we have to run it from web server it just complicates things in my side because to do that I need ITs blessing. I was trying to get the project done so I would be dealing with it at the end.

Matt,

Webpage error details

Thanks,
    Marc

Marc Weinshenker
    Answers Provided

Default Changes from 1.3.1 to 1.4

I have two issues to raise regarding the update from the 1.3.1 version of the map gallery template to the 1.4 version.

First, the method of adding a title to the banner has changed. It used to be a graphic and now it is a text string. I see how that makes things easier but I have lost my logo and preferred font. What is the best way to get back to the logo and font I would prefer to have? Bear in mind I know pretty much nothing about CSS, and I'm guessing that I will need to make some adjustments in that area. Here are the two versions to see the comparison.

1.3.1 -- http://maps.rockvillemd.gov/gallery

1.4 -- http://maps.rockvillemd.gov/gallery14

Second, when 1.3.1 was released I gave some feedback that it would be good if the legend would respect scale dependencies and only show the legend symbology for the map's current scale. This appears not to have been done. What is the status of this?

Example (streetlights map in the gallery): http://maps.rockvillemd.gov/gallery/...93dd5972951f52

Thanks,
    Marc

Esri webmap
    Answers Provided

Default Re: Changes from 1.3.1 to 1.4

I have two issues to raise regarding the update from the 1.3.1 version of the map gallery template to the 1.4 version.

First, the method of adding a title to the banner has changed. It used to be a graphic and now it is a text string. I see how that makes things easier but I have lost my logo and preferred font. What is the best way to get back to the logo and font I would prefer to have? Bear in mind I know pretty much nothing about CSS, and I'm guessing that I will need to make some adjustments in that area. Here are the two versions to see the comparison.

1.3.1 -- http://maps.rockvillemd.gov/gallery

1.4 -- http://maps.rockvillemd.gov/gallery14

Second, when 1.3.1 was released I gave some feedback that it would be good if the legend would respect scale dependencies and only show the legend symbology for the map's current scale. This appears not to have been done. What is the status of this?

Example (streetlights map in the gallery): http://maps.rockvillemd.gov/gallery/...93dd5972951f52

Thanks,
    Marc

Hey Marc,

Thanks for the feedback.

1. Yes, we made it a text string to simplify things. You can change the font with CSS but if it's a custom font you're wanting to use, you may have to use a webfont. Otherwise, just changing the value with CSS is fine. It's in global.css line 176.

I'll see if I can do an update where you can either choose text or an image to use as the banner via the config. That would solve this problem. Some people will just choose text because it's easier. We tried to make this version easier for non technical people to set up.

2. There are a couple different ways to render the legend I think. I think it depends on the kind of data and how it's stored. I'll have to look into this more but I'm not sure what I can do.

This map legend does change when zooming in/out so it's something to do with that map.

http://maps.rockvillemd.gov/gallery/...57c18cf6df059a

Marc Weinshenker
    Answers Provided

Default Re: Changes from 1.3.1 to 1.4

Hey Marc,

Thanks for the feedback.

1. Yes, we made it a text string to simplify things. You can change the font with CSS but if it's a custom font you're wanting to use, you may have to use a webfont. Otherwise, just changing the value with CSS is fine. It's in global.css line 176.

I'll see if I can do an update where you can either choose text or an image to use as the banner via the config. That would solve this problem. Some people will just choose text because it's easier. We tried to make this version easier for non technical people to set up.

2. There are a couple different ways to render the legend I think. I think it depends on the kind of data and how it's stored. I'll have to look into this more but I'm not sure what I can do.

This map legend does change when zooming in/out so it's something to do with that map.

http://maps.rockvillemd.gov/gallery/...57c18cf6df059a
    Thanks.

1. I was able to change the title font in the header using the line in global.css. I still would like to include a logo to the left of the title, so I'll have to figure that out. Suggestions welcome, of course. [Edit -- I found a way to get the logo working.]

2. I'm really not sure what to change in the map. Maybe the problem is that I have two levels of group layers? I'll play around with it.
    Last edited by RockvilleGIS; 12-05-2011 at 07:40 AM.

Marco Wagemakers
    Answers Provided

Hi,

My gallery: http://46.137.167.81//public-maps-gallery/index.html

I'm using the mapViewer of ArcGIS.com:

// CHANGES THE MAP VIEWER TO USE 'simple' (map.html), 'explorer' (ArcGIS Explorer) or 'arcgis' (ArcGIS Javascript)
    pmgConfig.mapViewer = 'arcgis'; // values: 'simple', 'explorer' or 'arcgis'. default: 'simple'.

The gallery generates a wrong URL to ArcGIS.com:
    http://arcgis.com/home/webmap/viewer...876ff519912f80
    (without www)
    When there is a feature layer in the map editing will be not available (without the www)

The URL has to be: http://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/vi...876ff519912f80

Where to change the URL setting in the code?

Thanks,

Marco

Esri webmap
    Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by wagem007 View Post
    Hi,

My gallery: http://46.137.167.81//public-maps-gallery/index.html

I'm using the mapViewer of ArcGIS.com:

// CHANGES THE MAP VIEWER TO USE 'simple' (map.html), 'explorer' (ArcGIS Explorer) or 'arcgis' (ArcGIS Javascript)
    pmgConfig.mapViewer = 'arcgis'; // values: 'simple', 'explorer' or 'arcgis'. default: 'simple'.

The gallery generates a wrong URL to ArcGIS.com:
    http://arcgis.com/home/webmap/viewer...876ff519912f80
    (without www)
    When there is a feature layer in the map editing will be not available (without the www)

The URL has to be: http://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/vi...876ff519912f80

Where to change the URL setting in the code?

Thanks,

Marco
    Hi Marco,

That's in the optional settings config file.

Code:
    pmgConfig.arcgisPortalURL = 'http://arcgis.com/';
    I've updated the code on Arcgis.com to include the www.

Thanks
    Last edited by Esri_webmap; 12-05-2011 at 12:41 PM.

David Ziff
    Answers Provided

OK - most of the functionality which is built into the new version, we appreciate. That being said I have one major issue and one minor.

MAJOR ISSUE: It seems that mobile users are not being redirected to the their respective mobile apps. I don't care if the index3 is brought back or the redirect is from idex, but we really need it. It seems that some of the code is still in there but not all; perhaps I am missing something... help plz.

MINOR ISSUE: The graphics formatting keeps changing. We will always default to our personal logos, fonts, branding, yadda yadda ... I wish esri would quit being so controlling in this regard. The idea is to make it personable, etc. I would much rather have more control over layout and such and imbed an esri logo than be constantly steered into whatever direction. When I go to the grocery store to buy milk and sugar - i buy milk and sugar; i don't care how many times they change the store It just so happens to be that the milk and sugar in this case is our look, our font, our logo (on top ribbon!) etc. I do believe that it is important to give ESRI credit and for their logo to be included. But esri is an intermediary; it is ESRI's job to generally help gis users put out product to the consumers. The extent to which it is beneficial for all the templates to have the same look and feel is suspect and i believe the more personable the product is the greater the success of the template and the more restrictive - the inverse. While the current iteration has simplified many elements, it is kinda restrictive and we will likely always cut out a lot and hard-code back w/ html.

btw: reactivating the mobile facet is really important to us and would be greatly appreciated if someone could help me in this regard or have 1.4x come out and reinstate it... We are trying to mix and match from 1.3 and 1.4 and not being familiar with all this would be way easier to remove functionality that we don't want than to add it back from some previous version...
    Last edited by davidziff; 12-07-2011 at 10:22 AM.

Esri webmap
    Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by davidziff View Post
    OK - most of the functionality which is built into the new version, we appreciate. That being said I have one major issue and one minor.

MAJOR ISSUE: It seems that mobile users are not being redirected to the their respective mobile apps. I don't care if the index3 is brought back or the redirect is from idex, but we really need it. It seems that some of the code is still in there but not all; perhaps I am missing something... help plz.

MINOR ISSUE: The graphics formatting keeps changing. We will always default to our personal logos, fonts, branding, yadda yadda ... I wish esri would quit being so controlling in this regard. The idea is to make it personable, etc. I would much rather have more control over layout and such and imbed an esri logo than be constantly steered into whatever direction. When I go to the grocery store to buy milk and sugar - i buy milk and sugar; i don't care how many times they change the store It just so happens to be that the milk and sugar in this case is our look, our font, our logo (on top ribbon!) etc. I do believe that it is important to give ESRI credit and for their logo to be included. But esri is an intermediary; it is ESRI's job to generally help gis users put out product to the consumers. The extent to which it is beneficial for all the templates to have the same look and feel is suspect and i believe the more personable the product is the greater the success of the template and the more restrictive - the inverse. While the current iteration has simplified many elements, it is kinda restrictive and we will likely always cut out a lot and hard-code back w/ html.

btw: reactivating the mobile facet is really important to us and would be greatly appreciated if someone could help me in this regard or have 1.4x come out and reinstate it... We are trying to mix and match from 1.3 and 1.4 and not being familiar with all this would be way easier to remove functionality that we don't want than to add it back from some previous version...
    Hi David,

Have you turned on the mobileAppLink option in the optional settings config?

Code:
    // USE ARCGIS iOS APP LINKS FOR USERS ON iOS DEVICES. Default: false.
    pmgConfig.mobileAppLink = true;
    I've verified that this works for iOS devices but I haven't for Android or Windows OS. I'm not sure if the same support exists. I'll look into it.

A little background; The first version of this template we targeted web developers with Javascript/HTML/CSS expertise but we found that a lot of users using it didn't have that experience so we made this version simpler which is why it's more controlled.

We have discussed a version of the template that embeds into a users current site design. I'll keep you posted on that.

Thanks

Michael Klein
    Answers Provided

Default Re: Public Maps Gallery template version 1.4 - Getting layer packages back

Hi. With the 1.3.1 version I was able to place layer packages within my ArcGIS Online map gallery group and the layer package would be available for downloading on the right side of the page. Version 1.4 shows additional maps where Version 1.3.1 showed layer packages. How do I get my layer packages available in Version 1.4 as they are in Version 1.3.1

Veronica Moore
    Answers Provided

How do I configure the file to open with ArcGISexplorer as the viewer map?
    Last edited by veritomoore36; 12-08-2011 at 11:12 AM.

Charles Dawley
    Answers Provided

I have followed the instructions for 1.4 and have a problem.

demo map

when you click on one of the maps the inbed map starts to load but then just hangs with the spinning loading icon. Am I missing something?

Thanks

Chris Bradberry
    Answers Provided

Hey,

I would like to show 3 pages, one with apps, one with maps and services and the other with tools. I decided that I would have to have 3 installations, but I cannot get the filter to work. I can get the apps, but the maps end up with the apps included and the tools don't show up at all.

any ideas?

Chris
    Chris Bradberry
    Oregon Dept of Forestry

Esri webmap
    Answers Provided

Default Re: Public Maps Gallery template version 1.4 - Getting layer packages back

Quote Originally Posted by beardogklein View Post
    Hi. With the 1.3.1 version I was able to place layer packages within my ArcGIS Online map gallery group and the layer package would be available for downloading on the right side of the page. Version 1.4 shows additional maps where Version 1.3.1 showed layer packages. How do I get my layer packages available in Version 1.4 as they are in Version 1.3.1
    Hi Michael,

You can put links on the right side in the content config. It's not using a group, but you can use any link you'd like.

Thanks

Esri webmap
    Answers Provided

How do I configure the file to open with ArcGISexplorer as the viewer map?
    Hi Veronica,

You can change the file to open in explorer in the optional settings config.

Here's the line of code to look for:

Code:
    pmgConfig.mapViewer = 'simple'; // values: 'simple', 'explorer' or 'arcgis'. default: 'simple'.

Esri webmap
    Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by odalaigh View Post
    I have followed the instructions for 1.4 and have a problem.

demo map

when you click on one of the maps the inbed map starts to load but then just hangs with the spinning loading icon. Am I missing something?

Thanks
    Hi Charles,

It looks like you need to enter a bing maps key. It's unable to load the map because it may be using a bing maps basemap.

See the config or documentation for more.

Esri webmap
    Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by Bradberry View Post
    Hey,

I would like to show 3 pages, one with apps, one with maps and services and the other with tools. I decided that I would have to have 3 installations, but I cannot get the filter to work. I can get the apps, but the maps end up with the apps included and the tools don't show up at all.

any ideas?

Chris

Hi Chris,

Attached is a list of all the different types you can filter by. It's the left most column. Let me know if that helps. I'm not sure what the tools string is. I've only used 'Web Map' and 'Layer'.

Thanks
    Attached Files

Chris Bradberry
    Answers Provided

Thanks for the file for the filters. I got it figured out close enough, but what I was really trying to do was to filter them just like they do in the groups web page. Go to your groups and it allows you to filter by application, maps and tools.

Thanks, Chris
    Chris Bradberry
    Oregon Dept of Forestry

Charles Dawley
    Answers Provided

Hi Charles,

It looks like you need to enter a bing maps key. It's unable to load the map because it may be using a bing maps basemap.

See the config or documentation for more.
    Whoops, yeah. My bad.

David Ziff
    Answers Provided

Hi David,

Have you turned on the mobileAppLink option in the optional settings config?

Code:
    // USE ARCGIS iOS APP LINKS FOR USERS ON iOS DEVICES. Default: false.
    pmgConfig.mobileAppLink = true;
    I've verified that this works for iOS devices but I haven't for Android or Windows OS. I'm not sure if the same support exists. I'll look into it...
    Thanks for getting back to me on this - we need cross platform support and if you could post the code to add the android and windows 7 support; that would be greatly appreciated. I only see the ios support in the settings.optional.js area and no links or mention of android or WinMobile atm but if one is linked might as well go for the other. I presupose the brouser sniffs the device and therefore this functionality would need to added as well in order to link to the coorect app...

We would like to leverage this in order to offer a cross-platform support for mobile devices and avoid developing multiple apps - 1.1 offered that and so we have chosen to go this route. Hope you all add that back. Thanks again, DZ
    Last edited by davidziff; 12-13-2011 at 07:36 AM.

Don Barker
    Answers Provided

How about a "Private Maps Gallery" template?
    ---

I used 1.3 successfully at San Mateo County GIS last summer (http://gis.co.sanmateo.ca.us/map_gallery) .

Now I've configured the 1.4 template to demo to an east coast metro police GIS staff. To make this work, I had to change the Share setting on all maps in our AGO Group to "Everyone". That is probably ok from a security standpoint, because the ops layers from the secure ArcGIS Server simply don't appear.

But the PD customers would really like these maps and their descriptions to be invisible inside our AGO group. How about adding AGO group member login at the gallery front page?

Thanks.

Michael Klein
    Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by marylandgis View Post
    How about a "Private Maps Gallery" template?
    ---

I used 1.3 successfully at San Mateo County GIS last summer (http://gis.co.sanmateo.ca.us/map_gallery) .

Now I've configured the 1.4 template to demo to an east coast metro police GIS staff. To make this work, I had to change the Share setting on all maps in our AGO Group to "Everyone". That is probably ok from a security standpoint, because the ops layers from the secure ArcGIS Server simply don't appear.

But the PD customers would really like these maps and their descriptions to be invisible inside our AGO group. How about adding AGO group member login at the gallery front page?

Thanks.
    I don't have any solution to a "Private Map Gallery" yet. However I was just asked about the possibility of setting one up so any "Private Map Galleries" would help me too.

Erik Endrulat
    Answers Provided

Is there any way to configure the Maps Gallery template so that REST services open up in the ArcGIS.com viewer, rather than the REST endpoint?

My maps gallery site is primarily geared as a catalog for ArcGIS REST web services. In the /config/settings.optional.js file, there are settings that allow you to choose the default map viewer to use (e.g., arcgis.com, arc explorer, built in 'simple' map), however, this only seems to apply to maps that are saved in arcgis.com.

By default, the services registered on arcgis.com that are listed in the gallery open to their REST endpoints, however, I don't' think this is that useful to the end-user, I'd rather it open up in the ArcGIS.com viewer.

Thanks,
    Erik

David Ziff
    Answers Provided

ok - so I have started using the Android AVD Manager to test the v1.4 public maps gallery with little luck. I thought maybe it was something to do with the AVD so I went to a Sprint stoer to test it too. They allow you to install apps so that was my choice for full selection of mobile devices to test drive the site.

Issues:

Apple iOS:

Redirects to a bad url and then fixes itself on way to itunes...

// IOS APP URL
    pmgConfig.iosAppURL = "itms://itunes.apple.com/us/app/arcgis/id379687930?mt=8";
    //perhaps another redirect would work better?

Android:

A mobile device is detected but there is no pmgConfig setting to redirect android devices to the android market so this page is displayed:

something like this would be nice...

//ANDROID APP URL
    //pmgconfig.androidAppURL = "https://market.android.com/details?id=com.esri.android.client"

Further - once the app is installed the map cannot be loaded. So now the device cannot view the map at all unless the change the url to start with http instead of arcgis and not a likely task for standard mobile user...

WindowsMobile

The app took too long to download and left before it was complete - perhaps it is finished now and I will return to the store and check that one

there is no pmgConfig setting to redirect WindowsMobile devices to their market; something like this would be nice....

//WINDOWS MOBILE URL
    //pmgconfig.windowsMobileAppURL = "http://social.zune.net/redirect/preferences/askclient?ReturnUrl=http%3a%2f%2fsocial.zune.net%2fredirect%3ftype%3dphoneApp%26id%3d7cb003be-990a-e011-9264-00237de2db9e"
    Last edited by davidziff; 12-16-2011 at 07:33 AM.

Esri webmap
    Answers Provided

ok - so I have started using the Android AVD Manager to test the v1.4 public maps gallery with little luck. I thought maybe it was something to do with the AVD so I went to a Sprint stoer to test it too. They allow you to install apps so that was my choice for full selection of mobile devices to test drive the site.

Issues:

Apple iOS:

Redirects to a bad url and then fixes itself on way to itunes...

// IOS APP URL
    pmgConfig.iosAppURL = "itms://itunes.apple.com/us/app/arcgis/id379687930?mt=8";
    //perhaps another redirect would work better?

Android:

A mobile device is detected but there is no pmgConfig setting to redirect android devices to the android market so this page is displayed:

something like this would be nice...

//ANDROID APP URL
    //pmgconfig.androidAppURL = "https://market.android.com/details?id=com.esri.android.client"

Further - once the app is installed the map cannot be loaded. So now the device cannot view the map at all unless the change the url to start with http instead of arcgis and not a likely task for standard mobile user...

WindowsMobile

The app took too long to download and left before it was complete - perhaps it is finished now and I will return to the store and check that one

there is no pmgConfig setting to redirect WindowsMobile devices to their market; something like this would be nice....

//WINDOWS MOBILE URL
    //pmgconfig.windowsMobileAppURL = "http://social.zune.net/redirect/preferences/askclient?ReturnUrl=http%3a%2f%2fsocial.zune.net%2fredirect%3ftype%3dphoneApp%26id%3d7cb003be-990a-e011-9264-00237de2db9e"

Yeah, that's correct. Nice investigation you did there

Last time I tested on Android, I had the app installed and when using the "arcgis://" protocol URL, it wouldn't load in the ArcGIS app. I'm not sure what the URL should be to open a webmap in the ArcGIS app for android. I'll investigate this more.

Same thing with Windows Phone. Not sure if arcgis:// protocol will work to open in the app. It works in iOS. I don't have a windows mobile device to test on yet but I can test on Android.

The redirect on iOS is basically a hack. At the time, it was the only way to see if the app was installed or not. It tries the arcgis:// protocol and if that fails, it then loads the iTunes store page.

There's another way to do this with a cookie that I'll think I will try:
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1...109200#1109200

I'll see if it is even possible to open a webmap in the android ArcGIS app and with what protocol. Same thing with Windows Mobile. I'll let you know what I find out. If it's something I can integrate, I'll update the code.

David Ziff
    Answers Provided

Post Re: Public Maps Gallery template version 1.4 --Opening post

Thanks - I really appreciate it. Honestly, a microsoft shop we may be but their mobile market share is so diplorable i am not super concerned with it atm. Though, it would be nice down the road to have that one too. Android is kind'a a must. At the very least, for now, we can just go the http* instead of arcgis* and that way it will at least work in a brouser capacity. As much as a like iOS - the Android solution is equally important to us; we really need a cross platform solution.

Also, if there was one more item - showing our location on the map instead of just having it centered would be amazing too!

Thanks, dz

Esri webmap
    Answers Provided

Thanks - I really appreciate it. Honestly, a microsoft shop we may be but their mobile market share is so diplorable i am not super concerned with it atm. Though, it would be nice down the road to have that one too. Android is kind'a a must. At the very least, for now, we can just go the http* instead of arcgis* and that way it will at least work in a brouser capacity. As much as a like iOS - the Android solution is equally important to us; we really need a cross platform solution.

Also, if there was one more item - showing our location on the map instead of just having it centered would be amazing too!

Thanks, dz

Hi David,

I did some more research, got Android working, improved the detection and added a dialog for using the app if you have it installed.

Unfortunately, It won't work for Windows phone. Windows phones don't have a URL scheme like iOS and Android so you can't use "arcgis://" to open the app from Windows Mobile IE at this time. I tested on a Windows phone with no luck.

I also added the location graphic for the geo-locate button and zoomed it in more.

I put all this code on Github for now. I'll do some more testing and then eventually update the ArcGIS item's code. If anyone is interested, they can contribute to the template.

https://github.com/GISWebOps/Public-...llery-Template

Thanks

David Ziff
    Answers Provided

deleted .
    Last edited by davidziff; 01-05-2012 at 05:30 AM.

Esri webmap
    Answers Provided

Here's what it does.
    If you're on an iOS device or Android device and you visit the site, you will get the dialog.

The dialog pops up and asks you if you have the ArcGIS app.

If you say don't install, it will set a cookie to say "disabled" and you'll never get the dialog again unless you clear your browsers cookies.

If you say "install now" you will get a web page opened to download and install the app. Then you can answer "Already installed" after it's installed.

If you say "Already installed", the cookie is set to "installed" and it will use the appropriate ArcGIS app URL for your device. (Android/iOS).
    I think the styling didn't get copied. I had to add that to the themes.css file for the dialog. I think there were changes to global.css as well. Also, the optional config got a few new items placed in there.

David Ziff
    Answers Provided

ok - thanks - i will test again this evening with an Android phone -
    Last edited by davidziff; 01-05-2012 at 05:38 AM.

Esri webmap
    Answers Provided

ok - thanks - i will test again this evening with an Android phone -
    Cool. Let me know how it goes.

It's unfortunate there's no way for the browser to communicate with the device and see if an app is installed so we have to rely on the user to tell us.

David Ziff
    Answers Provided

k - works great - i cut and pasted the custom style and clearly missed some stuff... on to icons now - thanks.

The only thing i can think of is an out from the app that returns to the page which launched the app - that would be sweet. i.e. if one pushes the back button (not sure what that would be on iphone atm) but the back motion would return one to the browser paged which launched the app. The other option would be to tweak the aout-launch of the app to have a splash which warned that the app was being opened and if one wanted to return to the gallery they would have to return to their browser/safari ... whatever.

Thanks again!

49. 01-06-2012 05:18 AM

Justin Ray
    Answers Provided

I am having problems with how my template interacts with Internet Explorer. I try to go to the site (still under development so I can't link you to it), but I seem to get the following prompt for most of my maps (and frequently multiple times per map): "Stop running this script? A script on this page is causing Internet Explorer to run slowly. If it continues to run, your computer might become unresponsive." Yes/No. Clicking No often does not succeed in loading the map, and the message will pop up numerous times after this before it finally functions properly. The maps I am linking to are found here. I am using IE version 8.0.6001.18702CO. Does the problem lie in how I have customized the template, or in Internet Explorer? Related: the template seems to function fine with Firefox.

Thank you

Esri webmap
    Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by rayjaw View Post
    I am having problems with how my template interacts with Internet Explorer. I try to go to the site (still under development so I can't link you to it), but I seem to get the following prompt for most of my maps (and frequently multiple times per map): "Stop running this script? A script on this page is causing Internet Explorer to run slowly. If it continues to run, your computer might become unresponsive." Yes/No. Clicking No often does not succeed in loading the map, and the message will pop up numerous times after this before it finally functions properly. The maps I am linking to are found here. I am using IE version 8.0.6001.18702CO. Does the problem lie in how I have customized the template, or in Internet Explorer? Related: the template seems to function fine with Firefox.

Thank you
    Hi rayjaw,

I think I've run into this as well. I believe it's just Internet Explorer not liking the Modernizr javascript framework when running locally from your computer (using file:// protocol). Does it still do it if you run the page from a development server or anywhere using the http:// protocol?

It may not be an issue when you put it on a server.

If it's still doing it when you're not using it locally (file://) then it may be something else I can look into.

Thanks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast