+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Error 001143 background server threw an exception

Deneb Woods
    Answers Provided

Default Error 001143 background server threw an exception

I have been trying to create a Viewshed (3D Analyst>Raster Surface>Viewshed) and it keeps failing and crashing Desktop 10 sp 3. "Error 001143 background server threw an exception" showed up in the Results window. I have tried disabling background processing but that has not made a difference. Any suggestions?
    Regards,
    Deneb

Kevin Hibma

Answers Provided

Default Re: Error 001143 background server threw an exception

Can you run other tools successfully? Is it just a problem with this specific workflow you're attempting?

If so, it sounds like either a problem with the tool or the data.
    Any chance you could share the data and we could test it here?
    If it isn't too big, please email it to me : khibma@esri.com
    If the data is large, email me anyways and I'll give you FTP instructions.

thanks
    Regards,

Kevin H.
    Esri

Answers Provided

Hi,

I am encountering the same problem in ArcMap 10 when trying to use a variety of tools.

Most importantly, I am trying to do a Kernel Interpolation (Geostatistical Analyst package) of some point data, and the process fails every time I try, reporting the same error: ERROR 001143: Background server threw an exception.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Many thanks,
    Fabrice.

Steve Lynch

Answers Provided

Fabrice

- do you have the latest service pack installed?
    - what happens if you run it in foreground?

Thanks
    Steve

Andrew Hansford
    Answers Provided

Angry Re: Error 001143 background server threw an exception

Hi All,

I have ArcGIS 10 SP5 installed and am getting a similar error when trying to create an image catalog. I have replicated this on our Server and another PC.

Our local Distributor Technical person said to roll back to SP3 or SP2, i have done this but still receive the same error. my thoughts on this that SP5 has created an instability to ArcGIS and some if not all geoprocessing tools fail.

I tried to repair ArcGIS using the install but this didnt work either.

I believe this needs to be escalated to ESRI.

Quote Originally Posted by stevelynch View Post
    Fabrice

- do you have the latest service pack installed?
    - what happens if you run it in foreground?

Thanks
    Steve
    Andrew Hansford (BSc, MSc - Hons) – Spatial Intelligence Analyst │ Data and Spatial Intelligence │ Information, Communication & Technology Services │ New Zealand Fire Service │ DDI: +64 4 496 3693 │ Mobile: +64 21 315 104 │ Email: andrew.hansford@fire.org.nz │ National Headquarters | Level 10, AXA Centre, 80 The Terrace | PO Box 2133 | Wellington │

Working with communities to protect what they value
    Please consider the environment before printing this

Fatema Akram
    Answers Provided

Hi all,
    I am also suffering from same problem. For the last few days, whenever I tried to do anything using ArcToolbox of ArcMap 10.1, it failed showing the same error (Error 001143 background server threw an exception). With the same data I tried it in my cplleagues computer using ArcMap 10.1, it worked.

Please suugest how can we get rid of this problem.

Paul Huffman
    Answers Provided

In my case this error has popped up as I'm trying to move some NHD shapefiles and tables into a new file geodatabase. I'm using 10.1 SP1. Tried exporting Fcs and tables to gdb as multiple or single, tried import to FCs and tables to gdb, mulitple and single. Closed down ArcMap, just using ArcCatalog. Tried a different small shapefile to a new personal gdb. Tried Feature Class to geodatabase tool. Can only get 1143.

Update: a reboot of this Win 7 PC fixed it. That was strange.
    Last edited by huffmanp; 02-11-2013 at 02:47 PM.

Fatema Akram
    Answers Provided

Thumbs up Re: Solution of Error 001143 background server threw an exception

A possible solution to the error is to disable background processes in ArcGIS. This can be done via the Geoprocessing Options dialog box.

qu ting
    Answers Provided

Red face Re: Solution of Error 001143 background server threw an exception

Quote Originally Posted by akramf View Post
    A possible solution to the error is to disable background processes in ArcGIS. This can be done via the Geoprocessing Options dialog box.
    I also faced this problem,with this method this、problem have required!3Q

Keith Kaneda
    Answers Provided

Hi,

Not sure if this will be helpful to anyone but I received this error while trying to create the address locator in Tutorial 7-2 (p. 239) of the GIS Tutorial 1: Basic Workbook (W.L. Gorr and K.S. Kurland, 2011, ESRI Press, ISBN 978-1-58948-259-3). I was eventually able to successfully create it by making sure that the "Overwrite the outputs of geoprocessing operations" box in the General section of the Geoprocessing Options window (Geoprocessing | Geoprocessing Options...) was checked BEFORE creating the address locator. In my case, I did not need to disable Background Processing (was Enabled by default).

I'm running ArcGIS Desktop 10.1 SP1, Advanced under Windows 7 Professional SP1.

Keith Kaneda

GIS & Data Services
    The Sheridan Libraries
    Johns Hopkins University
    Baltimore, MD
    kaneda@jhu.edu

Matthew Kelso
    Answers Provided

Esri has great software, but their error codes can be remarkably unhelpful. In my case, I was trying to make a buffer of a point shapefile that someone else had made when the background server threw an exception. I tried Fatema Akram's suggestion of disabling background processing in the Geoprocessing Options menu. This didn't work in and of itself, but it did lead to a better error message:

ERROR 000210: Cannot create output C:\......\Default.gdb\comps_2_-2013_B_Buffer
    ERROR 000354: The name contains invalid characters
    Failed to execute (Buffer).

I renamed the layer to something without the hyphen, and it worked as expected.

Cihat Basocak
    Answers Provided

Hi All,
    I keep getting this same message, "ERROR 001143: Background server threw an exception." I am trying to do simple operations as indicated in the attachment. Currently I am using ArcGIS 10.1 SP1 for Desktop (Build 3143) and I tried to upgrade it to SP2, which I downloaded yesterday, ArcGISDesktop10sp2, but receiving another message (second item in the attachment).
    Any suggestion is appreciated
    Cheers
    Attached Files

Christopher Wesson
    Answers Provided

Sadly this issue still exists in 10.2

Trying to export map document as KMZ. Works fine unless I manually define the extent.
    If I manually define the extent it fails with this same background processing exception error.

Turn off background processing, and it works just fine!

Answers Provided

Default Re: Solution of Error 001143 background server threw an exception

Quote Originally Posted by akramf View Post
    This was very helpful for me. Thank you guys.

Justin Kraemer
    Answers Provided

Unhappy Re: Error 001143 background server threw an exception

Since updating to 10.2.1 I can no longer run anything in the background. I had suspected this might be because on my first attempt, background GP had not yet been updated from 10.2 (of which I was unaware), but even after its update and a reboot, Error 001143 continues.

Is foreground GP typically slower than background? I started a foreground Build Overviews task yesterday after getting the error, and it ran all night and was only 1/3 finished when I cancelled it this morning. This task took only an hour in past background attempts. Perhaps I've answered my own question. I'd really like to get background back.

Michal Michalski
    Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by jkraemer View Post
    Since updating to 10.2.1 I can no longer run anything in the background. I had suspected this might be because on my first attempt, background GP had not yet been updated from 10.2 (of which I was unaware), but even after its update and a reboot, Error 001143 continues.
    Hi,

We have similar issue not being able to run any geoprocessing in the background since installing 10.2.1. Did you manage to fix your issue?

+ Reply to Thread