+ Reply to Thread

Thread: MGRS Widget for Flex Viewer

Marc Graham
    Answers Provided

Cool MGRS Widget for Flex Viewer

Hi,

Has anyone got a compiled widget for the Flex Viewer that returns the current cursor location as an MGRS grid?

It would be great if it worked with multiple coordinate systems.

regards,

Marc

Anthony Giles

Answers Provided

Default Re: MGRS Widget for Flex Viewer

Marc,

Have you had a look at the widgets posted by Kerry Coffin:

http://www.arcgis.com/rc/item.html?id=56d4d2ed5d474eb4b8e29973d2376652
    http://www.arcgis.com/rc/item.html?i...4c9789d00d5b95

I found these really useful and have combined the code into the coordinate widget to provide the same functionality that is provided in these widgets. (i.e. show MGRS location on mouse move, turn MGRS grid and geographic grid on/off and zoom to mgrs) in a banner along the bottom of the application.

Regards

Tony

Marc Graham
    Answers Provided

Hi Tony,

That is exactly what I am after. However, It would be brilliant if someone could upload a compiled version for Flex Viewer 2.5. I don't have any way to build that widget. Is there any chance you could compile your modified coordinate widget and upload that?

That would be extremely awesome.

Cheers,

Marc

Anthony Giles

Answers Provided

Marc,

Please find attached zip file that includes compiled versions of the MGRS widget and my updated coordinate widget. They are both compiled to work with geographics (EPSG 4326). Hopefully they will work without the rest of the project as they do ultilise two libraries that do not seem to be in the compiled version of the application. Unfortunately if you do require them to work with a different projection you will need to contact Kerry Coffin to provide different libraries.

The coordinate widget is added into the UI area in your main config file:

<widget url="widgets/Coordinate/CoordinateWidget.swf" config="widgets/Coordinate/CoordinateWidget.xml" left="0" bottom="0"/>

Then set bottom="25" as a property of your map element.

The MGRS widget gets added in the same way as other widgets.

Hope these are of some use

Regards

Tony

Marc Graham
    Answers Provided

Thumbs up Re: MGRS Widget for Flex Viewer

Those tools are great. I have spun up a quick test site in WGS84 and they work perfectly. I really like how the mgrs tool returns a grid square if you enter less than ten figures, genius. ESRI need to implement that into ArcGIS Desktop for 10.1. One small improvement would be to be able to right click and copy the grid to the clipboard, that would make them even awesomer!

Only thing is our web maps are all running in WGS1984 Web Mercator Auxilliary Sphere . Kerry Coffin, if you are out there, are you able to help?

Cheers!

Marc

Anthony Giles

Answers Provided

Marc,

I have implemented this functionality by adapting the coordinate menu widget by Andrew Timmins:

http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html...08f53eaa131e1e

Again place the widget in your UI elements in the main config:

<widget url="widgets/CoordinateMenu/CoordinateMenuWidget.swf" config="widgets/CoordinateMenu/CoordinateMenuWidget.xml" top="20" left="8"/>

Regards

Tony

Marc Graham
    Answers Provided

Tony,

The combination of the two tools you have supplied me are Exactly what I am after.

Except for the fact they only work on a WGS84 webmap.

If anybody could adapt these to work with a WGS1984 Web Mercator Auxilliary Sphere map I would be eternally grateful.

Thanks heaps!

Marc

Marc Graham
    Answers Provided

Cool Re: MGRS Widget for Flex Viewer

Hi Tony,

Is there any chance you could incorporate the Web Mercator version of Kerry's widgets as found here:

http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html...e29973d2376652

If you could help me on this it would be awesome.

Cheers,

Marc

Anthony Giles

Answers Provided

Marc,

Sorry for the delay in responding been a bit tied up in work, hopefully the attached zip will answer your questions

Regards

Anthony

PS. Please don't forget to mark post as answered

Attachment 12348
    Last edited by ad_giles@hotmail.com; 03-01-2012 at 12:32 AM.

Trevor Weiland
    Answers Provided

Thank you!
    Trevor Weiland

Marc Graham
    Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by ad_giles@hotmail.com View Post
    Marc,

Sorry for the delay in responding been a bit tied up in work, hopefully the attached zip will answer your questions

Regards

Anthony

PS. Please don't forget to mark post as answered

Attachment 12348
    Thanks so much Tony. I really appreciate you taking your time to help myself, and everybody else who uses USNG/MGRS. I think that this will prove to be very popular.

However, there appears to be a small bug in the Coordinate Widget, it seems to return an incorrect grid. The MGRS Widget works correctly.

Also, do you know if there is a way to clear the red square once you have entered a grid using the MGRS Widget?

Thanks again,

Marc

Anthony Giles

Answers Provided

Marc,

Sorry didnt realise that the clear button was not in the MGRS tool, new .swf file with it included.

I'm not sure what is happening with the coordinate tool not showing the right grid in your application, as I have checked my side and it appears ok. The grid given in the coordinate widget matches that in the MGRS widget and they are both the same as the base mapping in ArcMap.

Just to be sure are you using WGS 1984 Web Mercator as your projection in ArcMap, it should read as srs 102113 in the rest end point. Other than that I'm lost,

Regards

Anthony

Marc Graham
    Answers Provided

Smile Re: MGRS Widget for Flex Viewer

Thanks for adding that clear button, that's brilliant.

I think that I wasn't clear in my last message. The MGRS Grid readout in the coordinate bar is correct, as are the lat/long, map x,y etc. It is the Go To MGRS box in the bottom right that is giving me issues. No matter what grid I enter it sends me to lat/long 0,0.

My map is in WKID 102100 (3857) which as far as I can tell is equivalent to 10213 as discussed here:

http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/876...e)-WKID-102100

I don't s'pose there is any chance you could adapt that right click/copy widget to this format as well.

Thanks heaps.

Marc

Anthony Giles

Answers Provided

Marc,

Just checked the code and realised that I had an error, attached is new zip file for the coordinate widget.

Not sure what you mean by 'adapt the right click/copy widget to this format as well' this should be included in the zip file posted 03-01-2012, 01:28 AM. The config file allows you to set any coordinate system.

Regards

Anthony

Marc Graham
    Answers Provided

Thanks heaps for that fix.

Not sure what you mean by 'adapt the right click/copy widget to this format as well' this should be included in the zip file posted 03-01-2012, 01:28 AM. The config file allows you to set any coordinate system.
    What I meant was, the right click - copy coordinate menu tool only works for MGRS when the map is in WGS84, not Web Mercator, the same as the other tools before you modified them.

Currently, you can set output coordinate systems in the xml file and right click, copy these to the clipboard, this works great. But if you try and right click, copy the MGRS option you added nothing gets copied. The tool works great in WGS84 maps though.

Thanks again.

Marc

Anthony Giles

Answers Provided

This post is marked as the answer

Marc,

I have looked at it on my system and the right click copy MGRS is working as it should. Just in case we have had a mix up of files along the way somewhere I have attached a zip file containing the 3 widgets (coordinate, coordinatemenu & MGRS) that are all working on my system.

Regards

Anthony

Marc Graham
    Answers Provided

Excellent. I don't know if I missed a download, or what happened, but I have implemented the coordinate menu widget from that last upload you provided and the copy MGRS to clipboard now works a treat.

Thank you so much for your help.

Are you interested in developing these tools further? I am sure that there is more functionality people could use, or tweaks to the config files to make them more user friendly to set up.

Cheers,

Marc

Will Hughes
    Answers Provided

Anthony,

I am getting an Error Code #2036 in the MapManager popup. I am using FV2.5. BTW - The Coordinate Widget and CoordinateMenu Widgets are awesome. I don't fully understand how they can be configured but I've been looking for this functionality for a while so great work.

I did notice that the MGRS longitudinal labels are cut off at the bottom of my map. Can the placement be configured?Click image for larger version

Name:	mgrs_coords_labelling.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	12505 It appears that the grey footer banner is covering up the labels.

How can I make the MGRS grid be turned on by default?

Thanks.

-Will

Marc,

I have looked at it on my system and the right click copy MGRS is working as it should. Just in case we have had a mix up of files along the way somewhere I have attached a zip file containing the 3 widgets (coordinate, coordinatemenu & MGRS) that are all working on my system.

Regards

Anthony
    Last edited by wthughes; 03-08-2012 at 12:04 AM. Reason: oops!

Anthony Giles

Answers Provided

Will,

Error Code #2036 usually means that a path to one of your widgets is incorrect in your config file, i think flex is case sensitive so just check to make sure everything is alright. Also the two coordinate widgets are added in the UI area of your config file not the normal widget area.

As for the labels being cut off by the banner set an attribute of bottom="25" in the map element.

I will look into setting an option of have the grid enabled or disabled in the config file.

Regards

Anthony

Anthony Giles

Answers Provided

Will,

Find attached zip file containing coordinate widget with two extra values in the config xml that allow the Grids (MGRS and Graticule) to be set to true or false.

Will,

Error Code #2036 usually means that a path to one of your widgets is incorrect in your config file, i think flex is case sensitive so just check to make sure everything is alright. Also the two coordinate widgets are added in the UI area of your config file not the normal widget area.

As for the labels being cut off by the banner set an attribute of bottom="25" in the map element.

I will look into setting an option of have the grid enabled or disabled in the config file.
    Regards

Anthony

Will Hughes
    Answers Provided

Thanks Anthony for the quick response and modification the Coordinate widget. Great tool. -Will

Kenneth Lyons
    Answers Provided

This is a great widget. is there any chance I can get the uncompiled version to download?

Also, with the bar all the way at the bottom of the page, it partially covers the scale bar. Where can I adjust the position of the scale bar so that it isn't being covered by the coordinate bar?

Thanks
    Last edited by klyons241330; 03-21-2012 at 06:50 AM.

Anthony Giles

Answers Provided

Kenneth,

The source code for the original MGRS widget (Web Mercator) is available for download from this link:

You will need the libraries from this download in your project if you want to implement the additions I have made. Attached is a zip file containing the source code for the coordinate banner and coordinate menu (right click context menu).

Repositioning the scalebar can be achieved by placing the following css attribute in the default.css file:

esri|ScaleBar
    {
    left: 50;
    bottom: 50;
    }

Hope this helps

Regards

Anthony
    Last edited by ad_giles@hotmail.com; 03-22-2012 at 01:25 AM.

Kenneth Lyons
    Answers Provided

Thanks for the download!

One last question, is there a way to prevent the lat/long/MGRS overlays from displaying in my TOC widget? I've tried to used the <excludelayers> line of code, but it doesn't seem like I'm telling it to exclude the right layer because they still show up.

If I can't prevent them from showing up, I'll just deal with it, but it's kind of annoying.

Thanks again for all your help

Anthony Giles

Answers Provided

Kenneth,

I'm not sure how you would stop the layers from appearing in the TOC, it would probably have to be hard coded in the mapmanager to exclude these layers by thier ID's, as they are added after the config file has been read.

Maybe if Robert is reading this thread he maybe able to provide some assistance

regards

Anthony

Robert Scheitlin

Answers Provided

Lightbulb Re: MGRS Widget for Flex Viewer

Anthony,

I have not looked into the code here... Are you (or the original developer) adding an id to the graphics layer added to the map?
    Just because it's not the answer you want, does not mean that it is not the answer.

Robert Scheitlin

GIS Manager
    Calhoun County, Alabama

Sarthak Datt
    Answers Provided

For hiding GraphicsLayer(s) created by the widget from the TOC, you can try these options:

1. use <excludeLayer> - make sure the id of the layer matches that in the exclude layer tag
    2. While adding graphics layer, make sure that the name has "hiddenLayer_" as part of it. e.g myGraphicsLayer.name = "hiddenLayer_MyGraphicsLayer" - this automatically hides it from the TOC.
    Sarthak Datt
    ESRI Flex Team

Anthony Giles

Answers Provided

Sarthak,

The hiddenLayer_ at the start of the layer name works great,

Thanks alot

Anthony

Kenneth Lyons
    Answers Provided

So I'm pretty sure that I have the correct layer id's, but the layers are still showing up in the TOC widget, however they DO go away after they've been activated and then deactivated. Here's what I have so far;

<configuration>
    <labels>
    <visibilitylabel>Available Layers</visibilitylabel>
    <zoomtoextent>Zoom To Layer Extent</zoomtoextent>
    <expandall>Expand All Layers</expandall>
    <collapseall>Collapse All Layers</collapseall>
    <zoomtomakevisible>Zoom To Make Visible</zoomtomakevisible>
    <generatinglegendmsg>Generating Layers</generatinglegendmsg>
    </labels>
    <tocsettings>
    <expanded>false</expanded>
    <collapselegends>false</collapselegends>
    </tocsettings>
    <legendtimeout>60</legendtimeout>
    <excludelayers>

<excludelayer graphicslayer="MGRS Grid">5</excludelayer>
    <excludelayer graphicslayer="Geographic Grid">0</excludelayer>

</excludelayers>
    <excludegraphiclayers>true</excludegraphiclayers>
    <excludebasemaplayers>true</excludebasemaplayers>
    <usenewesridescription>false</usenewesridescription>
    </configuration>

Is this correct? or am I way off?

Thanks for the help

Anthony Giles

Answers Provided

Kenneth,

In the source code of the Mgrs widget where the layer name is set just add hiddenLayer_ to the front of the name this worked for me.

Regards

Anthony

Kenneth Lyons
    Answers Provided

Thank you again for your help so far. I've put hiddenLayer_ in front of every layer I could find and yet they still appear in the TOC when I open it. Now they layers are displayed in the TOC as "hiddenLayer_LayerName"... Am I doing this incorrectly?

Anthony Giles

Answers Provided

Kenneth,

Sorry my last post may not have been clear, if you are adding the grid by clicking the check boxes on the coordinate bar then you add the hiddenLayers_ to the front of the layer names in the coordinate mxml. This works fine for me using the out of the box layerlist, if you are using a customised version this may not work.

Regards

Anthony

Robert Scheitlin

Answers Provided

Lightbulb Re: MGRS Widget for Flex Viewer

Kenneth,

Hang tight the TOC Widget needs an update.
    Just because it's not the answer you want, does not mean that it is not the answer.

Robert Scheitlin

GIS Manager
    Calhoun County, Alabama

Robert Scheitlin

Answers Provided

Ken,

Go get version 2.5.0.2 of the TOC Widget and it should work just fine.

Robert Scheitlin

GIS Manager
    Calhoun County, Alabama

Robert Scheitlin

Answers Provided

Anthony,

Here is a version of the Coordinate widget that has the code refactored and uses the Viewers Styles for the whole widget, as well as some other minor code tweaks.

Set the maps bottom attribute to 30 and you will also want to adjust the OverViewWidget bottom to 23
    Attached Files
    Last edited by rscheitlin; 03-23-2012 at 12:07 PM.

Robert Scheitlin

GIS Manager
    Calhoun County, Alabama

Aura Ramos Lora
    Answers Provided

Hello from Mexico

Could help, I have an error

1046: Type was not found or was not a compile-time constant: CoordinateTransformation.

- I'm using the library agslib-2.5-2011-11-30.swc and here is not the kind com.esri.ags.geod.geom.MoreUtils
    and look on page http://resources.esri.com/help/9.3/a...ref/index.html

and can not find the classes:

import com.esri.ags.geod.geom.MoreUtils
    import com.esri.ags.geod.CoordinateTransformation
    import com.esri.ags.geod.ProjectedCS

thank you very much and sorry for my English
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	error.jpg‎
Views:	30
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	14586  

Anthony Giles

Answers Provided

Ranura,

You will need the libraries from the original widget found here:

Regards

Anthony

Aura Ramos Lora
    Answers Provided

Thanks for the prompt response but if I use the original library I get errors in the entire project. I can use both? you suggest me please?. I'm using the latest version ArcGisViewerforFlex-flexviewer -2.5 and need to include the grid ..

regards
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	error2.jpg‎
Views:	38
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	14611  

Anthony Giles

Answers Provided

ranaura,

I am not quite sure what is happening here you just need to add the XGeom.swc and FlexProjections.swc to your libs folder and refresh your project.

Regards

Anthony

Aura Ramos Lora
    Answers Provided

Smile Re: MGRS Widget for Flex Viewer

Thank you. Use the latest version you uploaded to the forum and worked perfectly. Thanks again.
    regards
    Last edited by ranaura; 05-25-2012 at 11:04 AM.

Aura Ramos Lora
    Answers Provided

Talking Re: MGRS Widget for Flex Viewer

If it works but not so well in the new version 3.1, any idea???

Thanks for the help

Regards...

Anthony Giles

Answers Provided

I'm just in the process of updating to 3.1 at the moment. I have had to go back to Kerry Coffin who works for ESRI in the states as the compiled libraries that I am using seem to place the grid in the wrong place. I will update as soon as I can.

Regards

Anthony

darren cassin
    Answers Provided

Hi Tony,
    Do you know if it's possible to create a "goto long/lat function" which is similar to the "Goto USNG function"

Anthony Giles

Answers Provided

Darren,

There are plenty of options to do this, have a look at using a locator or the coordinate menu widget:

http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html...08f53eaa131e1e

Regards

Anthony

Aura Ramos Lora
    Answers Provided

Red face Re: MGRS Widget for Flex Viewer

I'm just in the process of updating to 3.1 at the moment. I have had to go back to Kerry Coffin who works for ESRI in the states as the compiled libraries that I am using seem to place the grid in the wrong place. I will update as soon as I can.

Regards

Anthony
    You're right appears the gradicula out of phase, rightly I´ve reviewed the code and I did not see anything abnormal, so are the libraries.

I wish you luck in finding in making these changes of libraries

Thanks Anthony for your help and please ask you to keep us informed.

It is a great contribution, thanks again.

Regards

Aura Ramos Lora
    Answers Provided

Oleg Lukyanov
    Answers Provided

Hi,
    I couldn't import this widget because widget name conflict with existing Coordinate widget name.

Help please.
    Thanks.

George Haskett
    Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by oleg View Post
    Hi,
    I couldn't import this widget because widget name conflict with existing Coordinate widget name.

Help please.
    Thanks.
    Oleg,

Are you trying to use the default coordinate widget as well or is the error when you are trying to import this widget within the application builder?

If its the later, then build the base of the web app via the builder and add the custom widget via the tag references and NOT via the application builder. You can find ample info at ESRI's Viewer for Flex help site.

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/...000001w000000/

Haskett

+ Reply to Thread