+ Reply to Thread

Thread: help with a project for an archaeological science class?

Ryan Martori
    Answers Provided

Default help with a project for an archaeological science class?

I am taking an Arch science class in undergrad college and while talking to a PHD student about my Multimedia degree from ITT tech
    he mentioned that focusing on spatial analysis and arch GIS will also allow me to use my 3d modeling skills, in addition we had to email my teach some various options for our project he mentioned doing GIS work with obsidian artifact finds. So I decided to try and teach myself GIS at least well enough to do this project.

The project is this, first I need to try and find the exact latitude and longitude of the various archaeology sites in Italyv where obsidian artifacts were found and figure out where type of site it was early, late neolitihic etc. I also need to find out the percentage of
    obsidian from the various volcano sources example being what percentage came from the volcano at Lipiri. The actual map making
    comes in as I try and trace the most likely routes that could have been taken to get obsidian from the source to it's final destination, because obsidian from Lipiri has even been found on the opposite coast of Italy.

I guess the reason for this post it to see if anyone had any advice because this is sort of a GIS crash course project that is due in
    April didn't get the specifics on it until this past Monday. I picked up getting to know Archgis and have started doing the exercises.

oh and does anyone know where I could get a good map file for this project, or happens to be in the archaeology field that would
    have any advice?

Joseph Kerski
    Answers Provided

Default Re: help with a project for an archaeological science class?

One easy way to do this is to use www.arcgis.com - ArcGIS Online, and add the world geologic layer or better yet, search for a geologic layer in Italy on ArcGIS Online, and then manually add your point data on the ArcGIS Online map or via a spreadsheet with lat-long values saved as TXT or CSV, and then map those points by adding the spreadsheet, and saving your ArcGIS Online map. If you need more rigorous analysis, then ArcGIS for Desktop is probably where you want to do the work, although even with desktop you can add base maps from ArcGIS Online.

There are several GIS and Archaeology books available, such as:
    Spatial Technology and Archaeology: The Archaeological Applications of GIS. By David Wheatley and Mark Gilling. Published in 2002 by Taylor & Francis.

--Joseph Kerski

+ Reply to Thread