+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ArcInfo 10.1 - ArcInfo Workstation Issues

Curtis Price

Answers Provided

Default ArcInfo 10.1 - ArcInfo Workstation Issues

A few things to keep in mind as you plot your Workstation future, such as it is.
    1. As you all know according to the 10.0-10.1 Deprecation Plan the link between ArcGIS Desktop and ArcInfo Workstation is severed at 10.1 -- there is no ArcInfo Workstation 10.1 release.
    2. A side effect of this is that if you cannot run ArcInfo Workstation on a 10.1 single-use license; you can only get a license concurrent-use, from a flexlm server (ArcInfo 10.1 or ArcGIS Advanced 10.1).
    3. If you have a 9.3 version of workstation available you may get better performance from it (and more stability in my experience) than 10.0. I have been testing this without problems so far. (Although I haven't tried it yet, I doubt the Coverage Toolbox toolbox works -- however, I never use it and don't recommend it to others.) On the downside, there is no single-use licensing in out-of-the-box ArcInfo Workstation 9.3.1

References
    • ArcGIS10.1-000391 Cannot authenticate Workstation with ArcGIS Advanced Single-Use (Incident #986661)
      ArcInfo workstation is only available as a concurrent-use license and since version 10 was the last release of this software no changes can be made at 10.1.
    • #NIM067913 AML performance at version 10 is 50% slower than the same AML code run at version 9.3 on a 64-bit computer operating system. Possible workaround here:
      http://forums.arcgis.com/showthread.php?t=32425
    Last edited by curtvprice; 02-22-2012 at 07:04 AM.

Rebecca Strauch
    Answers Provided

Default Re: ArcInfo 10.1 - ArcInfo Workstation Issues

Curtis,
    Do you know if Workstation 10.0 and Desktop 10.1 can play nice on the same machine? When I used the 10.1 uninstall utility, it made me uninstall Workstation....no option not to. Can I reinstall it or do I need to keep a 9.3/10.0 machine available? Yes, I stillhave amls that I haven't needed to convert and/or haven't had time to convert to Python. It's on the list but lower priority. I can test it out myself, but I thought if you or someone else knew already it would save some effort. I haven't come accross the topic in the install guides yet....but lots to read so it may be in there somewhere.
    Thanks
    Rebecca (Becky)
    AK Dept of Fish and Game - Wildlife - GIS

Curtis Price

Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by rastrauch View Post
    Do you know if Workstation 10.0 and Desktop 10.1 can play nice on the same machine?
    I have already tested installing both ArcInfo Workstation 9.3 and 10.0 on the same machine as Desktop 10.1 and have found no conflicts so far.

The only bump in the road I know of is we cannot authenticate Workstation 10.0 from an ArcGIS 10.1 Desktop Single-Use license. I have verified that accessing a concurrent license from a flex server (ArcGIS 10.1 Advanced [formerly ArcInfo]) - works.

Also, if you choose to install ArcInfo Workstation 9.3 instead of 10.0, the Coverage Toolbox will not work. (I never was willing to put up with the processing overhead, if I need to CLEAN I go ahead and launch a command window arc session.)

UPDATE: I am having trouble getting the Coverage Tools to work even with Workstation 10.0 installed/working (failing with error 999999). Incident filed with tech support, will update the thread when I get this resolved.

Just a note: there is a Python script tool (Import From Interchange File) (btw - it uses the ancient ArcView 3x IMPORT71.exe app!) in the Conversion toolbox that allows you to import .e00 files without workstation installed.

Here's the relevant verbiage from the Deprecation Plan document:

ArcGIS 10.0 is the last planned release of ArcInfo Workstation. However, ArcInfo Workstation
    10.0 can be used in conjunction with newer versions of ArcGIS Desktop; known issues are that
    ArcDoc will not open in Windows versions that do not include legacy Windows Help support,
    and that the SDE layer and DBMS connect functionality will not be upgraded beyond the
    versions supported at ArcGIS 10. Users will continue to be able to use their existing ArcInfo
    Workstation 10 version as the rest of the ArcGIS products and technologies evolve, but we will
    not release newer versions of ArcInfo Workstation.
    Last edited by curtvprice; 06-13-2012 at 03:42 PM.

Rebecca Strauch
    Answers Provided

Thanks Curtis. I know it isn't recommended by tech support (I asked when on a different incident) because of shared libraries, but at least I know it's worth checking trying.
    Rebecca (Becky)
    AK Dept of Fish and Game - Wildlife - GIS

Curtis Price

Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by rastrauch View Post
    I know it isn't recommended by tech support (I asked when on a different incident) because of shared libraries, but at least I know it's worth trying
    I think they gave you some bad information. As far as I know, there are no shared libraries between Desktop and Workstation, and Esri has promised to support 10.0 Workstation with 10.1 Desktop in their 10.0/10.1 Deprecation document.
    Last edited by curtvprice; 06-13-2012 at 03:49 PM.

Curtis Price

Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by curtvprice View Post
    UPDATE: I am having trouble getting the Coverage Tools to work even with Workstation 10.0 installed/working (failing with error 999999). Incident filed with tech support, will update the thread when I get this resolved.

This is what I saw with all Coverage Toolbox tools:
    Code:
    Executing: Build c:\workspace\cucov1 POINT
    Start Time: Thu Jun 14 12:27:18 2012
    ERROR 999999: Error executing function.
    Failed to execute (Build).
    Failed at Thu Jun 14 12:27:18 2012 (Elapsed Time: 0.00 seconds)
    I think I brought this on myself by installing Desktop 10.1, Workstation 9.3, uninstalling WS 9.3, installing WS 10.0. I started again and installed DT 10.1 and then WS 10.0. My Coverage Toolbox seems to be working fine now.

Code:
    Executing: Build C:\WorkSpace\cucov POINT #
    Start Time: Fri Jun 15 17:08:25 2012
    Building points...
    Succeeded at Fri Jun 15 17:08:26 2012 (Elapsed Time: 1.00 seconds)
    Moral of story: Don't tempt fate. Do a clean install, every time!

Hugo Ahlenius
    Answers Provided

Hi,

I have uninstalled all the 10-stuff, then got 10.1 desktop running as it should - with concurrent license manager.

Then went back and installed ArcInfo workstation 10 and set the license manager to localhost.

Now, when I try starting the arc prompt it just stays dark and nothing happens. I have a feeling that there is some network thing going on with the connection to the license manager...

Any tips on how to solve that?
    --------------------
    Hugo Ahlenius
    Nordpil - GIS consultants

Curtis Price

Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by fraxinus View Post
    Hi,

I have uninstalled all the 10-stuff, then got 10.1 desktop running as it should - with concurrent license manager.

Then went back and installed ArcInfo workstation 10 and set the license manager to localhost.

Now, when I try starting the arc prompt it just stays dark and nothing happens. I have a feeling that there is some network thing going on with the connection to the license manager...

Any tips on how to solve that?
    If you've verified in the license manager utility that the "Desktop Advanced" license is available, take a look at your firewall settings.

KB 40109 - HowTo: Configure Windows 7 Internet Connection Firewall to work with the License Manager

"localhost" as always worked for me, but perhaps you may try the actual computer name.

Hugo Ahlenius
    Answers Provided

hmmm, yes I can verify that the license manager is working properly - it works without a hitch from ArcMap from instance, and I can even connect to the license manager from a Virtual Machine (lm running on host) where I have installed workstation.

And I have tried to test various settings with the firewall - including turning it off and creating an exception to allow for arc.exe to get full network access...

I just tested with my VM install of AI WS - and I get a clear error message if it can't connect to the license manager. So I think there is something else in play here, maybe some network library or something that is not playing along as it should...
    --------------------
    Hugo Ahlenius

Hugo Ahlenius
    Answers Provided

This post is marked as the answer

ok - got it working - it is definitely some shared network related library or file that confuses ArcInfo Workstation. When I set compatibility mode to "Windows NT 4.0" on arc.exe then it works. And that shouldn't cause any problems when actually running it, right!

Solved!
    --------------------
    Hugo Ahlenius

Curtis Price

Answers Provided

Great! Please post the exact Windows version and patch you were using when this came up. Thanks.

Hugo Ahlenius
    Answers Provided

This was on a Windows 7 sp1 PC. The workstation install was 10, no patches. The computer also has ArcGIS desktop 10.1 installed, no patches.
    --------------------
    Hugo Ahlenius

+ Reply to Thread