+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Error: COM Object Separated from Underlying RCW

Keri Blough
    Answers Provided

Default Error: COM Object Separated from Underlying RCW

I recently created a new Telecom file geodatabase and ArcMap document following the instructions provided with the template. The instructions are very helpful and I was able to complete all of the steps without any errors. I even did the editing tests at the end of Fiber Tools Enterprise GDB Setup.pdf and didn't have any problems. When I now try to edit our new geodatabase, an error appears that says, in part:

Error: System.Runtime.InteropServices.InvalidComObjectException: COM object that has been separated from its underlying RCW cannot be used.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Error.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	12212

If I click OK to close the window, it seems like I will be able to edit. I can add features (well, at least I can add a pole) but the error also appears when I save edits. I don't want to get too far into adding our features if there is an underlying problem with the database or mxd.

Thanks,
    Keri

Keri Blough
    Answers Provided

Default Re: Error: COM Object Separated from Underlying RCW

When I opened the ArcMap document on Monday morning, the error did not appear again. I've added some fiber cable features and splice closures without the error popping up.

Mark Reddick
    Answers Provided

Keri,

Thanks for your email and sorry for the late response.

I have seen this error message recently and i'm looking into the cause and a fix. Can you let me know what SP level you are on and any patches or additional AddIns you might be running. Might take me some time but hoping to work out the cause of this soon. Thanks

Mark

Mark Reddick | Technical Marketing - Telecommunications
    Esri | 606 Columbia Street NW, Suite 300 | Olympia, WA 98501 | USA
    T 360-754-4727, x8954 | mreddick@esri.com | esri.com

Keri Blough
    Answers Provided

Hi Mark,

I have a relatively new PC with Windows 7, 64-bit OS. I have ArcGIS 10 - SP2 installed with the DFRS patch. Sorry, I can't remember what that patch fixed. I have been adding cable & splice cloures without any errors. Perhaps I simply had to re-boot in order for the COM objects to register properly? The documentation included with the download is very good and easy to follow. I know this would take some time, but it would be very helpful to have another video showing all the steps to add a new overhead cable & splice closure with the fiber attributes, etc. It took me over an hour to figure out that a splice closure could not be snapped to a pole feature in order for the Splice Editor dialog to work as advertised in the video. But, all things considered, this model seems quite robust and I was thrilled to find it on the Resources page.

Cheers,
    Keri

Mark Reddick
    Answers Provided

Hi Keri,

I've ran some more testing against SP2. I wasn't able to reproduce this error but i definitely found some things that could explain it. I have created an updated setup.exe in the arcgis.com download for this template. I created folders in the zip download for the different compiled levels, so there is a 10.0 and 10.0 SP2 folder. Can you uninstall the current fiber tools (through Add Remove Programs) then run the new setup.exe in the SP2 folder.

Let me know if you still see those same errors after that?
    I'm hoping this might get rid of them,

Regards,

mark

+ Reply to Thread