+ Reply to Thread

Thread: GIS Tutorial 2 problem

Carol Thompson
    Answers Provided

Question GIS Tutorial 2 problem

We are teaching with the GIS Tutorial 2 workbook. Tutorial 5-5 involves a multiple ring buffer exercise. This will not work in our lab. It does work on my office and home computer. The only difference we can think of is that I am running XP while the labs are on Windows 7. Is anyone else out there using this workbook in Windows 7 and has successfully run that exercise?

Carol Thompson
    Stephenville, Texas

Carol Thompson
    Answers Provided

Default Re: GIS Tutorial 2 problem

Never mind. It's not an operating system problem. Must be another program that is interfering.

Eric Bowman
    Answers Provided

Hi Carol,

Have you tried turning off the background geoprocessing in the geoprocessing options? I get that every once in awhile on machines. By turning it off, the geoprocessing will run in the fore ground and you will not be able to do anything until the process is done. It's weird, but I had tools run after turning it off.

Eric

Richard Delaney
    Answers Provided

Eric...I was having save issue as Carol and tried your suggestion and it worked. Can't really figure out why it would work but just glad it is. Thanks!

Eric Bowman
    Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by RJD730 View Post
    Eric...I was having save issue as Carol and tried your suggestion and it worked. Can't really figure out why it would work but just glad it is. Thanks!
    Thanks RJD. Glad it worked out. The why is that there is a background process running on your machine that runs nothing but the geoprocessing tasks. Sometimes there's a hiccup in passing the request to it. I liken it to the quarterback handing off to the running back. Sometimes there's a fumble.

Cheers!
    Eric
    Eric Bowman
    Esri Certified | ArcGIS Desktop Associate, Enterprise Administration Associate
    CompTIA CTT+ Certified Classroom Trainer | CTT+ Virtual Classroom Trainer

+ Reply to Thread