+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Search by author or topic

Dan Patterson

Answers Provided

Default Search by author or topic

This issue is old ... still can't sort geoprocessing scripts by author, is this ever going to be a readily available option on the new site? Sorting by keyword is even worse, try a sort on "data driven pages" sans the quotes and you will have to wade through every post and barely a link to the ESRI toolsets that have demo examples. Is this going to be fixed?
    Geomatics, Carleton University, Ottawa, Canada
    http://obidangis.blogspot.ca/

Jim Barry

Answers Provided

Default Re: Search by author or topic

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_Patterson View Post
    This issue is old ... still can't sort geoprocessing scripts by author, is this ever going to be a readily available option on the new site? Sorting by keyword is even worse, try a sort on "data driven pages" sans the quotes and you will have to wade through every post and barely a link to the ESRI toolsets that have demo examples. Is this going to be fixed?
    ArcGIS Online through the ArcGIS.com website continues to be positioned as the place to share anything (same as described here). As I hope you'd agree, we're at least a decade or so beyond "scripts" being the primary item folks share with groups or the user community as a whole. For at least a couple of years now, ArcGIS Online does provide a way to click on a user's name and see a list of things that they've shared; also groups that they've created.

To provide a transition, the Geoprocessing Resource Center's "Model and Script Tool Gallery" has been deprecated for many months now and upon the final release of ArcGIS 10.1 will be shut down. Items shared by Esri staff should already be moved over to ArcGIS Online if the person or team sharing it still believe it to be relevant and helpful. Over the next month, folks in the user community who have shared items there will be encouraged to re-share them on ArcGIS Online for broader accessibility in one single place (rather than a few dozen "silo" galleries).

But I think it'll help if I say this more succinctly. ArcGIS Online is the place to share. We have no plans to make a second place for "scripts only".
    If you see a post you like, please use the voting tools on the right side of each post to let everyone know.

Discussion Forums' New Features: How do they work?
    Details about the new Forums MVP Program

Twitter: @JimBarry

Dan Patterson

Answers Provided

So basically, I will have to repost stuff there? or will it be migrated? Still confused, I wanted my students to find ESRI scripts/pdfs/powerpoints using "data driven pages" as a keyword search and they were going WTF??? where are they??? Sorry for the confusion/stupidity on my part but they are equally confused.

Jim Barry

Answers Provided

So basically, I will have to repost stuff there? or will it be migrated? Still confused, I wanted my students to find ESRI scripts/pdfs/powerpoints using "data driven pages" as a keyword search and they were going WTF??? where are they??? Sorry for the confusion/stupidity on my part but they are equally confused.
    Currently, if you search "data driven pages" on the Resource Center, you get a lot of hits. There are links on the left of the results page for filtering those results further by, say, documentation or forums or blogs, etc. If you go to ArcGIS.com and do the same, there are some results, not many. You can also filter them further using links on the left. With the new Resource Center (somewhat associated with 10.1) you'll finally be able to search all of that from the Resource Center once. (More on the theme of "defragmenting".) Our objective is to confuse less, not more.

But if you (and especially your students) are still confused, then we have a big problem and our plan isn't working.
    a. One reason could be that the stuff you're looking for doesn't exist. Not good, but not preventable.
    b. Another reason could be that you know what you're looking for exists, but searching for it using obvious search terms doesn't find it. Unacceptable, and needing immediate assessment and repair by us so that it can be found.

Which are you saying it is? (And as always, the amount of time and thought you put into sending us this kind of feedback is always appreciated. We know you have better things to do, you're just trying to get our system to work, and it should just all work without extra time and effort.)
    Last edited by jbarry; 03-16-2012 at 03:51 PM.
    If you see a post you like, please use the voting tools on the right side of each post to let everyone know.

Dan Patterson

Answers Provided

Jim
    tried to post one of my scripts and it defaulted to "web application" which it isn't, am I missing something?

Jim Barry

Answers Provided

Jim
    tried to post one of my scripts and it defaulted to "web application" which it isn't, am I missing something?
    We need to keep working on making this more intuitive. For starters, it seems you're logged into ArcGIS.com, then clicked the "Add Item" button on your "My Content" page.

If your scripts are in a .zip, then when you select "On my computer" and navigate to that .zip file, you'll see a pull-down where you can choose "Geoprocessing Sample". Also, the next release of ArcGIS.com will add another item below that called "Code Sample" which catches anything else.

If instead of choosing "On my computer" you chose "Application", then yes, at the moment, the only apps you can reference are web or mobile apps.

Click image for larger version

Name:	gpzip.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	12827

Dan Patterson

Answers Provided

so that means that I will have to replicate every link, since I was just trying to link to the 10.0 web address .... a bit of a pain but not impossible since I will have to update everything for 10.1 anyway ... thanks Jim

+ Reply to Thread