+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ArcGIS 10 Desktop Service Pack 4 SP4 breaks ArcReader shortcuts

Tom M
    Answers Provided

Default ArcGIS 10 Desktop Service Pack 4 SP4 breaks ArcReader shortcuts

Just so you know, if you install the Desktop SP4 and then try to open an ArcReader shortcut it will just open blank. You then need to go to the open dialog and open it manually. I just got off the phone with ESRI. It is fixed at 10.1. I will be switching back to SP3.

Jay Clark
    Answers Provided

Default Re: ArcGIS 10 Desktop Service Pack 4 SP4 breaks ArcReader shortcuts

This seems to be hit or miss at our organization. I'm fairly sure shortcuts work in Vista but not on some, and maybe all XP machines. I'm curious about what OS users are running when this problem appears.
    Last edited by jjclark63; 03-27-2012 at 09:24 PM.

Tom M
    Answers Provided

We are running XP. It happened on my machine, luckily we did not install it on any other machines.

Jay Clark
    Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by Tomsriv View Post
    We are running XP. It happened on my machine, luckily we did not install it on any other machines.
    I eventually figured out that SP4 broke the use of all shortcuts, including Vista, so a blank Arcreader applicaton opens, and the user must manually browse and add the Arcreader project. Not that big of a deal, and the SP fixed an important element for us, but 10.1 isn't available until late 2012. Hopefully ESRI will roll our a patch for this before then.

Kevin Burke
    Answers Provided

Hello,

The issue that you are running into, with not being able to launch ArcReader after double-clicking on a PMF in Windows Explorer, is a known Software Defect that was introduced with the File Menu Performance Patch after Service Pack 3. Being that you have installed Service Pack 4, that patch was now part of that install rather then a separate patch so that is why the issue is still apparent. This issue is not reproducible in 10.1

As another workaround, right-clicked on the PMF and go to 'Open With' > 'Choose Default Program' > Browse > C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\ArcReader10.0\bin\ArcReader.exe > 'Open' > OK.

ArcReader was now set to be the default program to always open the PMF file type, thus the file association was changed from the ArcgisfileHandler.exe

Thank you.

morgan williams
    Answers Provided

Arrow Re: ArcGIS 10 Desktop Service Pack 4 SP4 breaks ArcReader shortcuts

Quote Originally Posted by kburke@esri.com View Post
    Hello,

The issue that you are running into, with not being able to launch ArcReader after double-clicking on a PMF in Windows Explorer, is a known Software Defect that was introduced with the File Menu Performance Patch after Service Pack 3. Being that you have installed Service Pack 4, that patch was now part of that install rather then a separate patch so that is why the issue is still apparent. This issue is not reproducible in 10.1

As another workaround, right-clicked on the PMF and go to 'Open With' > 'Choose Default Program' > Browse > C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\ArcReader10.0\bin\ArcReader.exe > 'Open' > OK.

ArcReader was now set to be the default program to always open the PMF file type, thus the file association was changed from the ArcgisfileHandler.exe

Thank you.
    I am also having a wonderful time with my distilled ArcReader packages!!! I recently went straight from 9.3.1 to 10.0 SP4.
    Having trouble digesting/understanding "installed Service Pack 4, that patch was now part of that install rather then a separate patch so that is why the issue is still apparent."
    How can I avoid my users having bad shortcuts on thier desktops?? Should I only install ArcReader 10 on thiers, maybe SP 3 or no service pack(s)??? These users don't have the full software(s) as I do, so will they still have to manually associate?. Not sure if they will even encounter the same ArcgisfileHandler.exe issues?

Thanks!!!!
    Last edited by morgan_gis1; 06-04-2012 at 08:12 AM.

Tom M
    Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_gis1 View Post
    I am also having a wonderful time with my distilled ArcReader packages!!! I recently went straight from 9.3.1 to 10.0 SP4.
    Having trouble digesting/understanding "installed Service Pack 4, that patch was now part of that install rather then a separate patch so that is why the issue is still apparent."
    How can I avoid my users having bad shortcuts on thier desktops?? Should I only install ArcReader 10 on thiers, maybe SP 3 or no service pack(s)??? These users don't have the full software(s) as I do, so will they still have to manually associate?. Not sure if they will even encounter the same ArcgisfileHandler.exe issues?

Thanks!!!!
    Morgan,
    We have not installed any service packs on our ArcReader installations. The issues addressed with the service packs seem to be all geoprocessing related, which can't be done in Arcreader. So if they don't have ArcMap on their machine just do a basic ArcReader 10 install. If they do have ArcMap I would do Service pack 3 on ArcMap/ArcView only.

morgan williams
    Answers Provided

Talking Re: ArcGIS 10 Desktop Service Pack 4 SP4 breaks ArcReader shortcuts

Quote Originally Posted by Tomsriv View Post
    Morgan,
    We have not installed any service packs on our ArcReader installations. The issues addressed with the service packs seem to be all geoprocessing related, which can't be done in Arcreader. So if they don't have ArcMap on their machine just do a basic ArcReader 10 install. If they do have ArcMap I would do Service pack 3 on ArcMap/ArcView only.
    Thanks, but I'm wondering why there are 4 specific Service Packs solely for ArcReader?? I thought if the published/distilled product was created in 10.0 SP 4 then ArcReader would do better with its' SP 4???
    On a related note my ArcReader products seem to be running slower, spooling and spooling waiting for online imagery and I imagine the bigger/complex polygon layers like the Wetlands to finally draw. Seems to have to draw more than what is in current extent??
    Appreciate the help..
    Last edited by morgan_gis1; 06-05-2012 at 05:15 AM.

Tom M
    Answers Provided

Having all software products on the same service pack is more of a rule of thumb. Unless we are having a problem I leave ArcReader alone. We haven't had much luck with rolling out service packs through group policy, I usually end up having to go to every machine.
    I'm not sure if your slowness is caused by being on a different service pack, it could be lots of things.

morgan williams
    Answers Provided

Arrow Re: ArcGIS 10 Desktop Service Pack 4 SP4 breaks ArcReader shortcuts

Thanks, but I'm wondering why there are 4 specific Service Packs solely for ArcReader?? I thought if the published/distilled product was created in 10.0 SP 4 then ArcReader would do better with its' SP 4???
    On a related note my ArcReader products seem to be running slower, spooling and spooling waiting for online imagery and I imagine the bigger/complex polygon layers like the Wetlands to finally draw. Seems to have to draw more than what is in current extent??
    Appreciate the help..
    Can someone (maybe even ESRI) please explain if our clients using our published .pmf need or will benefit from an ArcReader service Pack.
    I have ArcInfo 10.0 with SP4, but I guess my clients will have ArcReader 10 with no SP or SP4 if it will help (Especially with lag). My clients are trying to replace what I do with Google Earth, so I could really use some support/advice.
    These folks don't have alot of patience and some don't want to learn the new buttons since they already know how to drive the inferior Google Earth. THANKS!!!

morgan williams
    Answers Provided

Unhappy Re: ArcGIS 10 Desktop Service Pack 4 SP4 breaks ArcReader shortcuts

Can someone (maybe even ESRI) please explain if our clients using our published .pmf need or will benefit from an ArcReader service Pack. I guess this is asking too MUCH??????
    I have ArcInfo 10.0 with SP4, but I guess my clients will have ArcReader 10 with no SP or SP4 if it will help (Especially with lag). My clients are trying to replace what I do with Google Earth, so I could really use some support/advice.
    These folks don't have alot of patience and some don't want to learn the new buttons since they already know how to drive the inferior Google Earth. THANKS!!!
    Bump! Is there a clear benefit for SP4 or can machines with only ArcReader function just as well without??
    Please Advise as I am losing clients/users!
    Thanks.
    Last edited by morgan_gis1; 06-25-2012 at 11:22 AM.

+ Reply to Thread