+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Linking Shape file with lat long points

Answers Provided

Default Linking Shape file with lat long points

I have a number of shape files using some form of projection that places the map at coordinates in the millions.
    I also have tables that have lat longs that I have converted to shapefiles however they show up roughly at coordinates -115.0, 51. This is because they have been based on their lat/long.
    I need these to line up with my shape files that are supposed to be at this location also.
    I know this has something to do with the projections but when I attempt to alter the projections it tells me its not in decimal degrees and after playing around with it I havn't made any headway.
    How can I syncronize these shape fiels so they use the same coordinate systems?

Jim Barry

Answers Provided

Default Re: Linking Shape file with lat long points

Quote Originally Posted by Miker89 View Post
    I have a number of shape files using some form of projection that places the map at coordinates in the millions.
    I also have tables that have lat longs that I have converted to shapefiles however they show up roughly at coordinates -115.0, 51. This is because they have been based on their lat/long.
    I need these to line up with my shape files that are supposed to be at this location also.
    I know this has something to do with the projections but when I attempt to alter the projections it tells me its not in decimal degrees and after playing around with it I havn't made any headway.
    How can I syncronize these shape fiels so they use the same coordinate systems?
    ArcView 3.x allows you to project a map display, but to do so all of the feature classes displayed in the themes in the map must already be unprojected. If you have two datasets that are storing their features in different projections, or in your case one is projected and one is not, ArcView 3.x doesn't provide any way to line them up together straight away.

It is possible, but to do so you would need to script a solution that transforms the Lat/Long values in decimal degrees to X/Y values in terms of the projected coordinate system of the shapefiles you mentioned above you want the points to line up on top of. Before I take you down that road, I would still consider that a Plan B. Plan A would be to use ArcMap (ArcGIS Desktop). It has the ability to mix together and line up in the map datasets with different source projections and coordinate systems.

What's our next move?
    If you see a post you like, please use the voting tools on the right side of each post to let everyone know.

Discussion Forums' New Features: How do they work?
    Details about the new Forums MVP Program

Twitter: @JimBarry

+ Reply to Thread