+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: problem publishing mxd map on ArcGIS server 9.3

  1. #1
    xaria D
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    109
    Points
    0
    Answers Provided
    1


    0

    Exclamation problem publishing mxd map on ArcGIS server 9.3

    Hi,

    We have 2 instances of ArcGIS server 9.3. One serverA we have successfully published a map service.
    Now I took the same mxd file and tried to publish on ServerB. But I get a lot of warnings saying The Layer "xxx" is invalid. Also the following error:
    Method failed.HRESULT = 0x80004005 : Unspecified error .

    Please help, what could be the issue?

  2. #2
    Richard Watson

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,620
    Points
    480
    Answers Provided
    71


    0

    Default Re: problem publishing mxd map on ArcGIS server 9.3

    The other server probably cannot access the data sources referenced by the mxd.

    I believe that the help covers this issue which is that you need to place your data such that it can be accessed by all servers.

  3. #3
    xaria D
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    109
    Points
    0
    Answers Provided
    1


    0

    Default Re: problem publishing mxd map on ArcGIS server 9.3

    Quote Originally Posted by rlwatson View Post
    The other server probably cannot access the data sources referenced by the mxd.

    I believe that the help covers this issue which is that you need to place your data such that it can be accessed by all servers.
    The mxd file is on local directory on the server. And "Everyone" has read access to the folder. The problem is not with accessing the map file.
    Any other possible issues?

    P.S. I created the map on a different machine. On the ArcGIS production server, we have installed ArcGIS server 9.3 only. Do we need to install ArcSDE or some other runtime on the production server. The log file says The Layer:'Features' in Map:'Layers' is invalid. The database was not found.
    Last edited by xaria; 04-01-2012 at 07:54 PM.

  4. #4
    Richard Watson

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,620
    Points
    480
    Answers Provided
    71


    0

    Default Re: problem publishing mxd map on ArcGIS server 9.3

    It cannot find the database referenced by the layers.

    You can look at what that is in either ArcCatalog or ArcMap.

    What is it?

    Are you using ArcSDE? If so, did you create the connection such that you saved the credentials in the connection file?

  5. #5
    xaria D
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    109
    Points
    0
    Answers Provided
    1


    0

    Default Re: problem publishing mxd map on ArcGIS server 9.3

    I created the Map using ArcMap. ArcDesktop is installed on a different machine. And ArcGIS server is on a different machine. I am sorry but I do not understand how to save credentials for ArcSDE.
    How to check what is the database?

  6. #6
    Richard Watson

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,620
    Points
    480
    Answers Provided
    71


    0

    Default Re: problem publishing mxd map on ArcGIS server 9.3

    You can look at the layer properties in ArcMap.

    The ArcGIS Server Manager log will list the layers that have problems. Look at the data source for these layers in ArcMap.

    When you create a map document that references SDE data then you specify an SDE connection file. When you create the SDE connection, you must check the box which saves your credentials. When you create a map document which uses the SDE connection file then these encrypted credentials will be embedded in the map document. If you did not do that then I suggest that you redo it.

  7. #7
    xaria D
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    109
    Points
    0
    Answers Provided
    1


    0

    Default Re: problem publishing mxd map on ArcGIS server 9.3

    Quote Originally Posted by rlwatson View Post
    You can look at the layer properties in ArcMap.

    The ArcGIS Server Manager log will list the layers that have problems. Look at the data source for these layers in ArcMap.

    When you create a map document that references SDE data then you specify an SDE connection file. When you create the SDE connection, you must check the box which saves your credentials. When you create a map document which uses the SDE connection file then these encrypted credentials will be embedded in the map document. If you did not do that then I suggest that you redo it.
    Alright, so when I wish to publish a map, I need more than just the mxd file, Am I right? The map is created in development environment, so if I just copy over the related files on the production machine will it work?

  8. #8
    Richard Watson

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,620
    Points
    480
    Answers Provided
    71


    1

    Default Re: problem publishing mxd map on ArcGIS server 9.3

    I know that this is the 10.0 help but the discussion still applies:

    http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisserv...0000005v000000

  9. #9
    xaria D
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    109
    Points
    0
    Answers Provided
    1


    0

    Thumbs up Re: problem publishing mxd map on ArcGIS server 9.3

    Quote Originally Posted by rlwatson View Post
    I know that this is the 10.0 help but the discussion still applies:

    http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisserv...0000005v000000
    Thank you so much. After copying the necessary files to the production environment, I was able to successfully deploy the services.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts