+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Toggle visibility of map subjects' names (ex. city names, water features, etc...)

Michael Cheng
    Answers Provided

Question Toggle visibility of map subjects' names (ex. city names, water features, etc...)

Is there anyway, using ESRI tiled or dynamic base map services, I can choose to display map subjects names. For example, display map without city names and water features, but display street names. Or any type of such control over what is displayed: streets, highway, major roads, etc...

If there is not such readily built-in or provided feature, what would be your recommended course to implement it?

Thank you.

Michael Cheng
    Answers Provided

Default Re: Toggle visibility of map subjects (ex. city names, water features, etc...)

Or anything similar to toggling display of "State boundaries", Cities / Towns, Terrain (bodies of water, etc), highways. So a user might want to see terrain + city names but not the streets. ETC.

Kevin Bupp
    Answers Provided

Default Re: Toggle visibility of map subjects' names (ex. city names, water features, etc...)

I am fairly certain that the ability to toggle layers on/off on the ESRI tiled map services is not available because they are "Fused" map cache's.

In order to create your own map service with the capabilities that you are describing, you have a couple options:
    1. Create an MXD with all your data (terrain, cities, streets, etc.) and create a Map service from it in your ArcGIS Server Instance. This map service will be dynamic, and every time a request is made it will draw the map dynamically and return the result to the end user.
    2. If you have to have it as a Tiled Map Service ... take the map service you just created, and create a cache from it. But in the Advanced Options, make sure to change it from "Fused cache" to "Multi_Layer cache" so that you will still have the ability to toggle the visibility of specific layers

Hope that helps,
    -Kevin

Michael Cheng
    Answers Provided

Default Re: Toggle visibility of map subjects' names (ex. city names, water features, etc...)

That's what I figured if we have to roll our own services. I was hoping I can pass some query string to the Tile service to ask for different tiles.

So does ArcGIS's dynamic service not offer the capabilities if we can roll our own?

Kevin Bupp
    Answers Provided

As far as I know, the ArcGIS Online's Basemap's are all Fused Tile Map Cache's... meaning that you do not have the ability to turn specific layers on and off.

ArcGIS Dynamic Map Services do offer you the ability to turn specific layers on and off (as the requested images are created on the fly), however I don't believe ESRI hosts any dynamic map services for public use, so if you want a dynamic map service, you will need to create your own.

Hope that helps,
    -Kevin

+ Reply to Thread