+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Importing Lat/Long Formats into GIS

Lyndy worsham
    Answers Provided

Default Importing Lat/Long Formats into GIS

Hi,

I understand that it's not possible to import degrees, minutes, and seconds format of lat/long into ArcGIS. I have a client who has all their data in an Excel spreadsheet in degrees, minutes, seconds.

First, may I just confirm that it's not possible to import degrees, minutes, seconds format into ArcGIS.

Second, what is the best way to convert the data in Excel? I have written a function that converts the data for the client so that it may be imported into ArcGIS. But I am not sure if this is the most efficient way to handle the problem. They seem reticent to collect the data in decimal degrees because they have always been collecting the data in degrees, minutes, seconds.

Any advice?

Regards,
    Lyndy

Lucas Danzinger

Answers Provided

Default Re: Importing Lat/Long Formats into GIS

Hi Lyndy,

This is a current enhancment request that is resolved at version 10.1 (NIM004573:ENH: Add XY Data/Create Feature Class From XY Table: add support for Degrees Minutes Seconds data (and other formats, like Degrees Decimal Minutes) when you create XY event layers).

In Excel, you will have to create an equation that divides minutes by 60 and divides seconds by 3600. Add these fields to your degrees field and you should have decimal degrees.
    Lucas Danzinger | Product Engineer

3. 04-05-2012 10:29 PM

Lyndy worsham
    Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by ldanzinger View Post
    Hi Lyndy,

This is a current enhancment request that is resolved at version 10.1 (NIM004573:ENH: Add XY Data/Create Feature Class From XY Table: add support for Degrees Minutes Seconds data (and other formats, like Degrees Decimal Minutes) when you create XY event layers).

In Excel, you will have to create an equation that divides minutes by 60 and divides seconds by 3600. Add these fields to your degrees field and you should have decimal degrees.
    HI ldanzinger,

Ah, I figured it only be a matter of time before someone figured out a fix to resolve this issue. Thanks for letting me know. I sounds like I am doing the best I could do by converting the data with a function so it can be imported as client is using 9.3.

Thanks again!

Lyndy

Curtis Price

Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by ldanzinger View Post
    Wow. This is something users have been asking for since, well, as long as there has been a table to XY feature in ArcView (mid-1990s).

Ian Johnson
    Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by lyndy View Post
    Hi,

I understand that it's not possible to import degrees, minutes, and seconds format of lat/long into ArcGIS. I have a client who has all their data in an Excel spreadsheet in degrees, minutes, seconds.

First, may I just confirm that it's not possible to import degrees, minutes, seconds format into ArcGIS.

Second, what is the best way to convert the data in Excel? I have written a function that converts the data for the client so that it may be imported into ArcGIS. But I am not sure if this is the most efficient way to handle the problem. They seem reticent to collect the data in decimal degrees because they have always been collecting the data in degrees, minutes, seconds.

Any advice?

Regards,
    Lyndy

You may also try the "Convert Coordinate Notation" Tool (http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesk...000000tw000000)

I will admit that I haven't had great luck with it, and just end up doing what has been described in posts above, but hey, if you can make it work it sounds handy! It's very particular about the format of your DMS coords, so just be conscious of that.

Ian

+ Reply to Thread