+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Kriging Extent Problems

Renee Huset
    Answers Provided

Default Kriging Extent Problems

Hi--

I'm working with the geostatistical wizard and having issues getting kriging predictions to extend throughout my study area. Currently, I'm working with a point file for California, and though the points are distributed throughout a large portion of the state, they do not extend to the N/S and E/W borders of the state, leaving a few areas without observations. When I run a kriging model with these data, the output extent is a polygon that covers only the area between the furthest north and south points and between the furthest east and west points, leaving out a fair amount of the state. I understand the logic behind the extent I'm getting as an output, but I still need a kriging surface that includes the areas currently left out of the calculation. How do I get this? I've tried going through the geoprocessing environments and editing my processing extent, but have had no luck.

Any tips? Perhaps I'm missing something obvious...

Thanks,
    Renee

Eric Krause

Answers Provided

Default Re: Kriging Extent Problems

The default extent of a geostatistical layer is the rectangular extent of the input points. If you want to change the extent, right-click the layer in ArcMap's table of contents, and choose "Properties". Go to the Extent tab, and you can define a different extent (like the extent of California).

For more information about changing the extent and clipping a geostatistical layer, see the link below. Skip down to steps 12-20 in the section titled "Create a surface using the default options."

http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesk...00000p0000000/

If you have any further questions about geostatistics, you'll get the quickest response by using the Geostatistical Analyst Forum:

http://forums.arcgis.com/forums/100-...stical-Analyst

Good luck, and I hope this helped.
    Last edited by Eric6346; 04-13-2012 at 11:47 AM.
    Eric Krause
    Geostatistical Analyst Product Engineer

+ Reply to Thread