+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 10.1 server support for multiple OS types across clusters?

Rick Sipin
    Answers Provided

Default 10.1 server support for multiple OS types across clusters?

Hello,
    Does anyone know if within the 10.1 server environment, if I can set up multiple clusters in a site, with different clusters being targeted with machines of a specific operating system? In other words "cluster 1" is comprised of 2 Linux machines and is responsible for mapping services, "cluster 2" is comprised of 2 Windows machines which are responsible for geoprocessing services?

I can't find any hints in the beta resources, or the forum post, and I believe that this was mentioned in the developer's summit presentation on administering server in 10.1.

Thanks if anyone knows.

-Rick

Nelson De Miranda
    Answers Provided

Default Re: 10.1 server support for multiple OS types across clusters?

It is not recommended to mix the operating systems for use in a single site even if they are seperated into different clusters.It was recommended that you should either choose Linux or Windows for your server environment and stick to that platform for all server deployment.Hope this helps.Cheers.

Rick Sipin
    Answers Provided

Nelson,
    Any idea why or what that recommendation is based on? Two thoughts, first if the newly rewritten server is actually identical across the two OSs, I can't see a mounted file system for the configuration store being that great of an obstacle to setting up different OS based clusters. Second, It'd be a really tough sell in my opinion to say that if an organization needed a windows cluster to support some services based on .Net server object extensions, that they would be discouraged from setting up Linux machines to perform mapping, GP or geodata services.

Thanks
    -Rick

Richard Watson

Answers Provided

Last week I was in a meeting with Eric Bader and Ismael Chivite from ESRI. Both of them indicated that mixing these is not supported. That makes sense to me because the fundamental design assumes a certain level of homogeneity. If you want to debate this then you will need to arrange a meeting with ESRI

Of course you are certainly free to setup as many systems as you want, e.g. you can have 5 Linux systems and 3 Windows systems.

Nelson De Miranda
    Answers Provided

Smile Re: 10.1 server support for multiple OS types across clusters?

I think just to close out the topic this video should help:
    http://video.esri.com/watch/1149/arc...dministrators-

This video was taken at the dev summit and Ismael really breaks it down for us about deployments. There is a Q/A session at the end i believe which should touch some of the concerns brought up in this topic.

Cheers,

+ Reply to Thread