+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Unable to import this shapefile. (Invalid Shapefile: missing shp file.)

ACCUWEATHER INC
    Answers Provided

Default Unable to import this shapefile. (Invalid Shapefile: missing shp file.)

I am having trouble uploading certain shape files to my AGOL account. I get this error: Unable to import this shapefile. (Invalid Shapefile: missing shp file.)
    Using AGOL - personal or organization account type. I am a "publisher."
    What ma I doing wrong?
    Or what is wring with this zipped shape file?
    I have followed the guidance for uploading correctly formatted shapefiles.
    Attached Files

Matthew Kelso
    Answers Provided

Default Re: Unable to import this shapefile. (Invalid Shapefile: missing shp file.)

I'm having the same problem. No issue importing .csv files, but I've never gotten the zipped .shp package to work.

Sisi Yan
    Answers Provided

Default Re: Unable to import this shapefile. (Invalid Shapefile: missing shp file.)

When I unzip the file, you have two folders: _MACOSX and the Tornado Potential. Can you try adding the shapefile to arcmap, export to a file or personal database and then export out again as shapefile and see if works?

Matthew Kelso
    Answers Provided

This is a point shapefile that I just made in ArcGIS desktop 10.0 from a .csv. I get the exact same error message as the OP. My first try had no .prj, so I made a version in WGS_1984_Web_Mercator, but I got the same result (which is to say no result).

As a side note, I have Adobe Illustrator installed on my machine, and it renames the .sbx files as Illustrator Tsume files on my local machine. I wouldn't think that would interfere with ArcGIS online, but I'm tossing that fact out there just in case...
    Attached Files

Mike Minami

Answers Provided

Matthew,

Your zip file has a folder in it that contains the shapefile files. There can't be any hierarchy in the zip file.

Thanks,

Mike

Answers Provided

I am having the same error show up and I have made sure I have all of the required .shp, prj, dbf, ect. I have also tried to add it to a personal geodatabase and a file geodatabase and they all yeild the same result (Invalid Shapefile: missing shp file) I have attached the file I am trying to upload any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Files

Randy Marasigan
    Answers Provided

Mike is right. Check your zip file again. You should zip the shapefiles directly and not the folder.

Quote Originally Posted by mikem View Post
    Matthew,

Your zip file has a folder in it that contains the shapefile files. There can't be any hierarchy in the zip file.

Thanks,

Mike

Randy Marasigan
    Answers Provided

Hi,

I looked into your zip file and found no shp files in it but a layer package. As far as I know, ArcGIS online doesn't allow other files other than.

"zipped shapefile (ZIP), a comma or tab delimited text file (CSV or TXT), or a GPS data file (GPX) with up to 1000 features in it (or 250 features when geocoding addresses)"

Quote Originally Posted by t.r.thompson@live.com View Post
    I am having the same error show up and I have made sure I have all of the required .shp, prj, dbf, ect. I have also tried to add it to a personal geodatabase and a file geodatabase and they all yeild the same result (Invalid Shapefile: missing shp file) I have attached the file I am trying to upload any help would be greatly appreciated.

Matthew Dennison
    Answers Provided

Hi my name is Matt,
    I am having similar problems. I am trying to send a zipped shapefile, but it keeps saying im missing the shpfile.
    My first attachment is my shapefile and the second is when i used winzip. I realize that I have to zip everything individually but I dont know how to do that.

Please help
    Thanks
    Attached Files

Mike Minami

Answers Provided

Matt,

Your zip file doesn't contain a shapefile, it contains an ArcMap map document (MXD). That's why it doesn't work. Are you adding shapefiles to your map document as layers? Just zip these files up. A shapefile is actually composed of several files on disk, with extensions like .shp, .prj...

Thanks,

Mike

Answers Provided

Found solution! I'd been staring at it but didn't understand .... left-click on the four files and compress them, not compress the folder they're in. lolz

I'm having the same problem

In the ArcGIS online map maker. I don't have any kind of paid subscription.

Using Mac OSX 17.4 Safari 5.1.7 and attached zipped shape file

it includes a .dbf, .prj, .shp and .shx all with the same name.

It does not have subfolders. It does not have anything else in it.

hmmm ...

Any tips?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by greencracker; 07-05-2012 at 12:47 PM. Reason: found solution

Greg Hunter
    Answers Provided

At Greencracker - I get a couple folders (with the 4 files within both) when I look at your zip file on my PC. I extracted and rezipped the attached file - it imported to AGO fine.

Greg
    Attached Files

Inna Moore
    Answers Provided

I had this problem too and figured out what my problems with it were.

1) Your zipped file can only include on shapefile.

2) When you zip the data make sure you zip the actual files and not the folder they are contained in (i.e. open the folder, select all associated files, right click, send to zipped folder.

I don't know if this will work for anyone else, but it fixed my problems.

Inna

Ahmad Javed Gulistan
    Answers Provided

Smile Re: Unable to import this shapefile. (Invalid Shapefile: missing shp file.)

Dear All,

I also had the same problem and i tried alot but fortunately eventually i could find the solution .I export the shapefile in Arcmap and then kept only DBF File,PRJ FILE,SHP FILE AND SHX Files and removed other files like SBN ,SBX etc.. Then ,I select all files and right clicked and zipped them .And I add the zipped shapefiles in ArcGIS online from my desktop and it worked for me and i hope, it works for all. Remeber just zip files not folders.

Regards,

Ahmad Javed Gulistan,

Kabul,Afghanistan

+ Reply to Thread