+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Issue with spatial connection - ArcCatalog

Roberto Farias
    Answers Provided

Default Issue with spatial connection - ArcCatalog

Hello!
    I have a problem to set up a spatial connection on ArcCatalog.
    I already have one connection to the same server working fine (with the user SDE). I'm trying creating a new connection with all the same configurations but with the user sde_load. When I create it and click on "Test Connection" it show me: "Connection succeeded.", but when I click in OK I receive the following message: "Unable to open the selected database (with the current connection properties)." Then when I try connecting, I don't receive any error or warning message, but nothing is showed on Contents area.
    I tried creating an odbc connection trough ArcCatalog with the same user (sde_load) an it worked fine.
    Does anybody have any idea about what my problem is?
    I'm using an SQL server (2005) and ArcCatalog 9.3.
    Thanks in advance!
    Best regards,
    Roberto Farias

Alexey Tereshenkov

Answers Provided

This post is marked as the answer

Default Re: Issue with spatial connection - ArcCatalog

Roberto,

There are some things to check:

1) Does the sde_load user account have all permissions needed to connect to the sde database?

2) Did you upgrade the database from the SQL Server 2000 to the SQL Server 2005? In case you did, I've seen this behaviour for some times. The problem was solved by right-clicking the database > Properties > Options and choosing for Compatibility Level the "SQL Server 2005 (90)" option.

3) Are you able to log in to your database in SQL Server Management Studio with sde_load?

4) Does your sde_load user have its own schema?

5) Any service packs installed for the ArcGIS Desktop 9.3 / ArcSDE 9.3? Maybe you could install the latest ones?
    Please use the new "Mark as Answer" and "Rate Post" buttons to the right hand side of the posts.
    • You help others searching this forum to find the answer directly.
    • You give credit to the folks who answer your questions.
    • You help to track unanswered questions.

Roberto Farias
    Answers Provided

Hey Alex!
    Thanks a lot for your help!

Basically I had a problem with point 1 and I had to change some configurations.
    Just to share the answers to your questions...
    1) Does the sde_load user account have all permissions needed to connect to the sde database?
    A. NO

2) Did you upgrade the database from the SQL Server 2000 to the SQL Server 2005? In case you did, I've seen this behavior for some times. The problem was solved by right-clicking the database > Properties > Options and choosing for Compatibility Level the "SQL Server 2005 (90)" option.
    A. YES, but the configuration was OK.

3) Are you able to log in to your database in SQL Server Management Studio with sde_load?
    A. YES

4) Does your sde_load user have its own schema?
    A. NO

5) Any service packs installed for the ArcGIS Desktop 9.3 / ArcSDE 9.3? Maybe you could install the latest ones?
    A. I have the SP1

Thanks again!

Alexey Tereshenkov

Answers Provided

Roberto, glad it played out well

+ Reply to Thread