+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Controlling who is an editor

David Litke
    Answers Provided

Default Controlling who is an editor

For feature services that are set up to be editable, is there some way to control which users can be editors?

Mike Minami

Answers Provided

Default Re: Controlling who is an editor

If you have your own feature service running on ArcGIS Online, you control who can edit by setting up security on the service. Then, people will need to sign in to edit the layer. There are no additional controls in ArcGIS Online to control editors. If your feature service has no security, then anyone can edit it.

Thanks,

Mike

David Litke
    Answers Provided

Mike,
    Can you tell me how one edits the security on a feature service? I don't see an option for this on the feature service page on ArcGIS Online.

Mike Minami

Answers Provided

My previous post had a typo...If you are running the feature service on your ArcGIS Server, then you control access from ArcGIS Server. There are no controls in ArcGIS.com to configure access to your service. You must be running ArcGIS Server 10 SP1 or greater in order for ArcGIS.com to be able to connect securely to it.

Mike
    Last edited by mikem; 04-19-2012 at 10:20 AM.

David Litke
    Answers Provided

Mike,
    I think this is an issue then for those who wish to use ArcGIS Online for Organizations to manage shared datasets thereby hopefully obviating the need to run ArcGIS Server. In many cases there are datasets which need updating by selected editors in the organization, and viewing by the rest of the organization. The only way I can think of doing this is to have separate feature services for editors and viewers, but then there is the hassle of periodically refreshing the organization data to show the edits. Or possibly one could turn a map into an application and then program a web page to handle the different user levels? Can the ArcGIS Online API be used for this if different Groups are set up for editing and viewing (getting in deep water for me here)?

Mike Minami

Answers Provided

Am I correct in assuming that you are a beta user... Editing access to a hosted feature service on ArcGIS Online is controlled by the sharing model of ArcGIS Online. Namely, you share the item with a group and members of the group then have access to it. At the present time, access means the ability to edit the feature service. We do see the need to provide more explicit control, such as viewers only. This will be coming. For now, one way to achieve this is to have viewers look at the data through a hosted web mapping application template that doesn't expose any editing operations.

Hope this helps,

Mike

David Litke
    Answers Provided

Yes I am a beta tester..not sure where to put this type of discussion..
    I'm glad to hear that more user control will be coming to ArcGIS Online..I think in the testing phase we'll just open editing to all users and just trust them not to cobble things up.

+ Reply to Thread