+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Landuse polygons to polylines with Left_Poly and Right_Poly attributes

Anne Kull
    Answers Provided

Default Landuse polygons to polylines with Left_Poly and Right_Poly attributes

Hi!

I have landuse map with polygons (each polygon has landuse attributes). I need a map with polylines describing LEFT_POLY and RIGHT_POLY. And the polylines should be splitted in intersection point of different land use types. And the polylines should not be duplicated. And the polyline must have attribute value corresponding to the left side and right side land use. I attached the figure describing the original land use layer and resulting layer and attribute table.

I can use ArcGIS 10 (ArcInfo). Can you suggest anything that may help to produce the recuired type of map?

Thank you in advance,
    Anne
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Left_Poly Right_Poly joonis.jpg‎
Views:	37
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	13530  

mark denil
    Answers Provided

Default Re: Landuse polygons to polylines with Left_Poly and Right_Poly attributes

there is a geoprocessing tool for that:
    PolygonToLine_management(in_features, out_feature_class, "IDENTIFY_NEIGHBORS ")

It preserves the left and right feature ids, so you will have to do a couple of joins to the original attribute table to transfer other left and right attributes (such as landuse). to wit: join the polygon FID to the LEFT_FID of the lines to transfer the landuse to the left, and then do a joinn to RIGHT_FID for the landuse to the right.

FeatureToLine might seem to do the same thing as PolygonToLine, but only PolygonToLine preserves the left and right side information on shared lines.

Anne Kull
    Answers Provided

Default Re: Landuse polygons to polylines with Left_Poly and Right_Poly attributes

Thank you very much! It is very easy and works fine.

Best regards,
    Anne

+ Reply to Thread