+ Reply to Thread

Thread: two attributes with the same symbol in the map

gaiiop fahadi
    Answers Provided

Default two attributes with the same symbol in the map

helllo
    I use arcgis 9.3
    I want to present two attributes with the same symbol in the map
    the volume (the surface of a circle) represents an attribute of the database
    color represents a different attribute of the database
    I did some manipulations in layer property> Symbology> multiple attribute but I found nothing
    I hope that I explain well my problem
    every one could help me

thanks in advance

Marcin Gasior

Answers Provided

Default Re: two attributes with the same symbol in the map

You can try to copy your layer in Table of Contents and then symbolize both in different way.
    You can use Definition query to exclude some features which may overlap.

Greg Keith
    Answers Provided

Default Re: two attributes with the same symbol in the map

Apologies if I'm misunderstanding you. I'm assuming these attributes are in the same layer, or this wouldn't be a problem. Maybe what you're looking for is in the Symbology tab of the Layer Properties box. Select Categories - Unique values, many fields and you can symbolize by more than one attribute. You could show a circle for volume and different colors for color, for example.
    Maybe that's what you tried, and not what you want. If what you want is, for example, to symbolize volume by a circle and color by the same circle, I guess I don't see the point. How would you know which is which when looking at the map?
    If the attributes are not in the same layer, you'd have to join the layers to get them in one layer. You can't, afaik, make one symbol representing attributes in two different layers. Again, not saying that's what you want. Just trying to cover possible scenarios, since I may not understand what you're looking for.

+ Reply to Thread