+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Photographs in ArcGIS Online - Best Practice

Darroch Kaye
    Answers Provided

Default Photographs in ArcGIS Online - Best Practice

Hi,

I'm brand new to ArcGIS Online. I have a shapefile that displays locations of photographs, of which the link to the image file is in one of the fields of the shapefile. This does the job in a desktop environment, but the problem I have is there are several images in this dataset (over 400Mb when zipped; a fair chunk of my 2Gb AGON limit) and these are linked to locations on my external HDD, i.e. they're not relative so the links are useless if I uploaded them to AGON.

I am unsure how to efficiently upload images to AGON and also how to link these to a point shapefile or feature class.

If anyone could provide tips/pointers/advice on how to take this forward, it would be greatly appreciated.

I'm using ArcGIS 10 (ArcEditor).

Thanks,
    DK

Mike Minami

Answers Provided

This post is marked as the answer

Default Re: Photographs in ArcGIS Online - Best Practice

ArcGIS Online is not an option for hosting your images. You will need to use some other photograph storing site. Essentially, you need a URL to your image that you'll reference in a field of your shapefile. This will allow you to display the image in a popup window when you click on a feature on the map (I assume this is your goal).

Check out this post for some tips on configuring the popup window to display your image.

http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/525...l=1#post179544

Thanks,

Mike

Darroch Kaye
    Answers Provided

Default Re: Photographs in ArcGIS Online - Best Practice

Thanks for that. I have already uploaded my photographs to Flickr and I plan to link to them via the pop-up windows as described.

Thanks,
    DK

+ Reply to Thread