+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ArcGIS Server and Image Extension - Installation, Architecture, Limitations, etc.

Sebastian Krings
    Answers Provided

Default ArcGIS Server and Image Extension - Installation, Architecture, Limitations, etc.

Hello,

I have some questions about the ArcGIS Server and its installation. Please correct me if I am wrong in some things.

I want to install a new ArcGIS Server with Image Extension. Since 10 this is "fully integrated" in Server. I think fully integrated means it is available after inserting the license key for this extension during the registration like extensions were registered in ArcDesktop. Is this right? Or is the Image extension for Server still a seperate (software) installation like the SDE (which also is called as fully integrated)?

I only can find an installation guide for Image Server and ArcGIS Server 9.3 but not for 10. And because it is now "fully integrated" I would expect that the installation differs from this guide.

I also was not able to figure out which possibilities I have on installing components on separate machines.

It is planned to install the ArcGIS Server + SDE on machine A while the data(base) is stored on machine B.
    Data means big geodata (at least some hundrets of GB) and big rasterdata (at least the same amount).

As far as I know installing the SDE not on the same machine as the database affects that users can only connect via the SDE Service via DB-authentication (so no windowsauthentication), but this has no further impacts.

The Image Extension consists of (as I read in the install guide of 9.3)
    • a Service Editor (any administrator with ArcDesktop creating and editing service definitions)
    • a Image Server Manager (for automatic administration)
    • a Server (I guess the ArcGIS Server itself is not meant)
    • a Server Provider (for image processing and delivery to end users)
    • clients (users)
    Are all these components automatically installed on the same machine as ArcGIS Server (because of fully integration)?
    Which parts can be installed on different machines?
    Which architecture is recommended?

The last question I did not find information about is concerning the limitations of the ArcSDE and the Image Extension as well.
    Are there limitations of file/data sizes, concurrent accesses, etc.? Are there limitation differences between the use of the SDE for rasterdata and the image extension?
    It is called that the Image Extension is RAM friendly but needs much CPU. What about the hard disc? Is the CPU the smalles unit? Are there experiences when to increase other components than the CPU to ensure fast responses at all times?

Any discussion, answering of one of my questions, further information links (where answers can be found) etc. would be very grateful.
    Thanks a lot.

Allison Anderson
    Answers Provided

Default Re: ArcGIS Server and Image Extension - Installation, Architecture, Limitations, etc.

I think these are great questions and would love to hear a response from someone at esri.

I've been working on serving a raster catalog (via the new mosaic dataset) and have yet to be successful. It doesn't seem as though one would need a separate install, but more information on the licensing would be helpful. I have a line for imageextserver in my license file, is that going to get me the Image Server that is integrated, or is it referenceing the old separate extension? More thorough documentation is needed. Please!

melanie harlow
    Answers Provided

Default Re: ArcGIS Server and Image Extension - Installation, Architecture, Limitations, etc.

At 10.0 the Image Extension comes in 2 forms.
    1. Fully integrated into ArcGIS Server, requiring no other special installation. And the license for it will be contained within the file you use to authorize ArcGIS Server, in a line starting with "Image Server Extension" followed by the license number. It is used mainly to serve mosaic datasets.
    2. The depreciated Image Extension, which is a completely separate install, also requires a separate license file, which contains the line "ArcGIS Image Server". Once installed it needs to be configured with ArcGIS Server.

#1 is recommended. #2 is there to support those customers who started using it in older versions.

FYI: the Image Extension is not required to serve a single raster dataset as an image service.

See: If migrating from the depreciated ArcGIS Image Server (aka Image Extension) see, migration topic.

As for limits on the Image Extension
    • There are no size limits on the total size of images. So one mosaic dataset can contain thousands of images. Any size limit is based on the geodatabase and how large the mosaic dataset table can be. This usually only affects users with personal geodatabases (which is the least recommended gdb). The other size limit, is how large the output image from the image service can be. There is a default in the image service properties. This prevents users from extracting one gigantic image from your service and slowing your server as all the pixels are processed. This is a limit you can change.
    • See the "Minimum image size pre request" parameter
    • The image service reads and processes data. So you want to ensure the data is 'as close to' or 'has a very fast connection to' the server.

SDE vs Image Extension
    • SDE doesn't provide web access to the image data. The Image Extension does.
    • Unless you have a requirement to use SDE, we don't recommend it for serving imagery.
    • It will be faster to serve formats like TIFF than to serve a raster from SDE as an image service.
    Last edited by mharlow; 04-19-2012 at 02:03 PM.

Sebastian Krings
    Answers Provided

Hey thanks for your response, some interestinhg stuff. But most questionmarks concerning the architecture of all components still remain.

Yes you are right, Image Extension is to support mosaicing. This is what most general pages tell about this. But I read that it also improves the processing of standard raster data and so on. Is this not true? Using the Image Extension only for simple raster data brings not an advantage?
    http://www.esri.com/software/arcgis/...extension.html

In the installation dialog of ArcGIS Server (where the Image Extension will be included then) I can chose which components to install.
    When installing SOM + Web Server, SOC and Database on different machines, do I have to run the installation on the first two machines (chosing different components in the install dialog) and the database on the third one?
    I woner how the components know where the others are? Because in a single installation theres not asked where the SOCs where installed. But the SOM has to know. Will I be asked in a splittet installation (of e.g. the SOM) where other components are installed (the machine of the SOCs)?

I also wondered about the installation of the SDE. Am I able to install it on either the machine of the RDBMS or the machine of the ArcGIS Server? I asked in last post if theres any further disadvantage of doung #2 except that no windows authentication is possible. Is this still right? But what if both machines participate in a network with a e.g. active directory. Isnt then windows authentication still available when SDE ist installed on the ArcGIS Server machine?

I read something about high availability and fail-over/ round-robin. Although most documents on ESRI documentation with general information about SOMs tell that only one SOM where possible, having and using more then one SOM etc. is possible. What I absolutely did not find is information about how to implement this functionality. I did not find any advances settings when publishing a gis resource on ArcServer manager.
    Am I able to set HA techniquest on a central point (e.g. the ArcGIS Server itself) instead of on every single Service?
    http://help.arcgis.com/en/sdk/10.0/s...0000013n000000

Thanks for further help and information.

Derek Law

Answers Provided

Hi Sebastian,

... Yes you are right, Image Extension is to support mosaicing. This is what most general pages tell about this. But I read that it also improves the processing of standard raster data and so on. Is this not true? Using the Image Extension only for simple raster data brings not an advantage?
    http://www.esri.com/software/arcgis/...extension.html
    If you need to serve a collection of images (via mosaic dataset) then you require the Image extension. You do not need it to serve a single image or a single raster dataset layer. And having it in those cases will not provide you any advantage.

... When installing SOM + Web Server, SOC and Database on different machines, do I have to run the installation on the first two machines (chosing different components in the install dialog) and the database on the third one?
    Yes. Please see this help topic: Configuring a multiple-machine deployment

... Will I be asked in a splittet installation (of e.g. the SOM) where other components are installed (the machine of the SOCs)?
    Yes, during the post-install process.

... I also wondered about the installation of the SDE. Am I able to install it on either the machine of the RDBMS or the machine of the ArcGIS Server?
    Yes.

... Am I able to set HA techniquest on a central point (e.g. the ArcGIS Server itself) instead of on every single Service?
    http://help.arcgis.com/en/sdk/10.0/s...0000013n000000
    FYI, the Web ADF is being deprecated at the 10.1 release.

Hope this helps,
    Derek Law
    ArcGIS Server Product Management

Sebastian Krings
    Answers Provided

hey thank you very much for answering my questions.
    But in my last question my intention was also to get more information.
    When setting up 2 SOMs with own SOCs , to create a fail over.

Now I am in ArcMap and want to publish a service or I am in ArcGIS Server and want to publish a gis resource as server. What do I have to do to make the failover available for the service. And where can I set theese changes?

I hought some about SOCs. Am I able to registert all available SOCs to both SOMs?
    In a fail-over architecture this could be good. Within a roundrobin this would decrease the overall performance I think? Is this right? I also cannot find concrete information about this, too.

Thanks again!

+ Reply to Thread