+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Import excel file into ArcView Grid table

Jo McEvoy
    Answers Provided

Question Import excel file into ArcView Grid table

First of all, I have a very basic understanding and working knowledge of ArcView3.3

I have a map of my study site in ArcView3.3 that was created by another student. We use it to record observational locations of individual lizards. Overlaid on this map we have had a 5x5 grid created. I collected a lot of microhabitat information, that is all in an excel table, that we want to import into each of those grid squares (~300 grid squares over the site). I know in arcview I can open the .dbf file/table that is associated with the grid overlay, and I can add fields to the table and then manually type in the associated information. However, I have over 50 fields, and 300 grid squares....this seems like a very time consuming process! Is there a way to import the data file from excel straight into the grid table?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
    Jo

Jim Barry

Answers Provided

Default Re: Import excel file into ArcView Grid table

Quote Originally Posted by JoMc View Post
    First of all, I have a very basic understanding and working knowledge of ArcView3.3

I have a map of my study site in ArcView3.3 that was created by another student. We use it to record observational locations of individual lizards. Overlaid on this map we have had a 5x5 grid created. I collected a lot of microhabitat information, that is all in an excel table, that we want to import into each of those grid squares (~300 grid squares over the site). I know in arcview I can open the .dbf file/table that is associated with the grid overlay, and I can add fields to the table and then manually type in the associated information. However, I have over 50 fields, and 300 grid squares....this seems like a very time consuming process! Is there a way to import the data file from excel straight into the grid table?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
    Jo
    Earlier versions of Excel allowed you to save your spreadsheet using the .dbf format. Then you could open that in ArcView. Newer versions cannot. So another way is this. First, ensure that Row #1 contains your field names. Rows #2 onward will be your record values. Click the "File > Save As..." menu item, and in the "Save As Type:" pull-down, select "CSV (Comma-delimited) (*.csv)". Then outside Excel, using Windows Explorer, rename the file"s extension from .csv to .txt. Now back in ArcView, in the project window click the "Tables" icon, then click the "Add" button. In the "List Files of Type:" pull-down select "Delimited Text (*.txt) then navigate to the location of the .txt file you created. It will open in ArcView as a Table.

Your spreadsheet is now a Table in ArcView, but it's completely read-only. You can join or link it to the attribute table of the shapefile layer with the grids in it. If you want this Table to be editable, then you can use the "File > Export..." menu item to save out a copy of this table in the .dbf format. Now you can re-add this .dbf file as a new table. It's the same as the old one, but now it's editable. (So far as ArcView Tables go, you can edit a .dbf file, but not a .txt file.)
    If you see a post you like, please use the voting tools on the right side of each post to let everyone know.

Discussion Forums' New Features: How do they work?
    Details about the new Forums MVP Program

Twitter: @JimBarry

+ Reply to Thread