+ Reply to Thread

Thread: GIS Consultants fees?

Geospatial Technology
    Answers Provided

Default GIS Consultants fees?

Hello, I was wondering if someone could give me an idea the price range for charging for GIS consultancy work?

Thanks for any help!

Dan Patterson

Answers Provided

Default Re: GIS Consultants fees?

Pretty open ... but interesting question...
    There is no one fee, or even a base fee, as there are in some disciplines (ie lawyers, engineers etc). Other factors will have to be considered such as your education level and experience level and the organizations that you are working for. Also you need to consider whether you are applying to compete on a job or have been solicited to work on one... in the case of the later you are in the driver's seat, in the case of the former, it is a crap shoot.

This is an interesting talking point however and I hope it solicits some interesting responses.
    Geomatics, Carleton University, Ottawa, Canada
    http://obidangis.blogspot.ca/

Geospatial Technology
    Answers Provided

Okay if i maybe change the question around a little and ask, "How much do you or your organisation charge for consultancy fees?"

Just an idea of the range would be really helpful. I understand there will be a big difference between basic digitisation and bespoke application development.

Dan Patterson

Answers Provided

for me (my annual salary / 110 days), assuming a 220 day work year, otherwise there is no incentive for me to do contract work. If my annual salary was derived from consulting solely, then none of the aforementioned would apply
    Geomatics, Carleton University, Ottawa, Canada
    http://obidangis.blogspot.ca/

Jim W
    Answers Provided

From my experience in Canada and Eastern USA, I'd say the going GIS charge rates are in the range of $50-$120 per hour (or say $500-$1000 per day) depending on the seniority of the consultant. I have found that GIS charge out rates are similar to engineering charge out rates except on the upper end where senior engineers can charge way more money. I'd try to charge Dan out at $150/hour but it would be tough to find someone to actually pay that for GIS work - maybe a client would accept 10 hours as the Senior GIS Consultant on a project or something like that.

I don't think we'll find too many people sharing their charge rates on here but if you need real numbers then just hunt down some publically-disclosed project proposals in your area. You should be able to find an item line for GIS fees (or drafting or cartography). Most firms will be fairly uniform in their charge rates for GIS as pretty much every consulting company bids on the same projects and want to remain competitive.

As for web-based GIS work... no idea but I'd bet they are similar to programmer charge out rates.

+ Reply to Thread